Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Shoes to wear with opaque tights and stumpy legs

(32 Posts)
ErnesttheBavarian Sat 28-Oct-17 10:06:32

I'm only 5'2", chubby, stumpy legs, so boots generally look bad, plus I'm often sitting on the floor, so not so comfy. I'm looking for nice shoes, not high heels but I'm a bit lost. I also have really broad feet. Ideally also that I can walk the dog in but still look stylish. I think I've confused myself nowconfused

I often wear either knee length pencil skirt stuff, black or navy, or denim skirt. I wrote ballerinas in the summer, but not winter friendly. I walk a lot and with my job am on my feet a lot so need to be comfy. Do these shoes exist?? I am clueless.

WhataHexIgotinto Sat 28-Oct-17 10:56:17

Watching with interest, i could have written your post.

BigcatLittlecat Sat 28-Oct-17 10:57:48

I'm wearing brogues today. I have four pairs! They sound what you need!

WeeM Sat 28-Oct-17 11:02:01

Yep I would say a brogue or loafer type. Clarks actually have nice ones and come in wider fitting too.

CountFosco Sat 28-Oct-17 11:33:15

enbrogue.com is your friend. I'm also 5'2" and never wear heels. For work (smart/casual but with a requirement to wear leather shoes that cover the foot in the lab) at this time of year with dresses/skirts I wear chelsea boots, brogues, or loafers. With smart trousers I often wear trainers.

I wouldn't worry about your own perception about how stumpy your legs are. I have literally never looked at someone wearing a skirt with opaques and a flat pair of shoes or boots and though 'well, she shouldn't be wearing that!' Wear what you like taking account of what is practical and comfortable.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 28-Oct-17 11:36:53

Thanks! My favourite shoes ATM are Clarks but they don't do them any moresad they are a wedge heel. I need a bit of a heel, like maybe an inch. I need to shoes to look feminine. I couldn't see any that match that criteria. I do like a brogue, but I need a bit of a heel and can't look like I've just rummaged in dh's shoe cupboard

softmachine Sat 28-Oct-17 14:18:38

Fly london do shoes with a wedge heel that are super comfortable to wear and walk in. I have wide fitting feet and they fit me. Look on Amazon, often the reviews have helpful info about how wide fitting and comfortable they are.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 28-Oct-17 14:48:24

Thank you. In have had fly before and forgot about them. Will have a look. When I'm in UK I'm definitely piping into Clark's. At least now I have an idea. Thanks. I love autumn/winter, especially the clocks going back, but struggle with style big timeconfused

Hijklm Sat 28-Oct-17 19:04:15

I agree the fly wedges are surprisingly comfy.

Nettletheelf Sat 28-Oct-17 23:12:35

If you’re worried about your legs looking stumpy, then brogues or loafers with skirts would be the last thing I’d recommend. I’d go for knee length flat boots.

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 00:31:44

Nettle I was just about to post similar advice to you when I saw your post.
Brogues are the last thing I'd pair with stumpy legs.

ErnesttheBavarian Sun 29-Oct-17 07:04:56

I have 1 pair of knee length boots but not so practical for sitting on the floor, plus I'm I'm and out often so a pain to keep taking on and off hence hoping for a pair of shoes.

And needing a but of a heel. Any other ideas apart from the knee length boots then? (Hopeful?)

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 29-Oct-17 07:06:54

Brogues are the worst option for your legs, OP.

You need a heel, or a platform. It's also more comfortable.

Caulk Sun 29-Oct-17 07:12:08

I’m the same height, and find brogues really don’t work.

I have fly shoes and boots, I find the shoes are the best. Last year I got some wedged brogue ones and they were fine.

PiperAndLarry Sun 29-Oct-17 07:46:56

Would those fly london brogues above look ok with slim fit trousers?

Oblomov17 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:47:28

I have similar legs. I don’t think brogues are the answer. But what’s the alternative?

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 07:49:51

Clarks Vendra Bloom

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 07:50:54

Some of the Hotter shoes are nice too and well worth a look.

Caulk Sun 29-Oct-17 07:53:14

Piper I’ve done that with them. Usually skirts but only because I usually wear skirts.

elQuintoConyo Sun 29-Oct-17 07:53:46

I can't find boots that zip up over my calves, so brogues it is.

I've also had Camper shoes - very comfortable, stylish imho, wide-fitting. Don't have any at the moment so can't link to a recommendation. They aren't the cheapest shoes, but those i have had have lasted 3-4 years. Also available abroad.

Oblomov17 Sun 29-Oct-17 09:58:07

Camper shoes, hotter shoes, most I find really ugly. And very male. Most brogues are very male. I want something feminine.

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 14:00:02

Hotter have a few more feminine shoes. I hate brogues etc.

PiperAndLarry Sun 29-Oct-17 14:06:23

Thanks Caulk. I do like those

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 14:26:51

Something like these from Hotter

armaghda Sun 29-Oct-17 14:33:21

Or these.
Not male looking at all. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: