Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of frizzy hair

(18 Posts)
PepeLePew Sat 28-Oct-17 06:44:48

My hair (shoulder length, brown, straight, boring) is in a perpetual state of frizz. Unless I go to the gym, when I come out with it sleek and lovely. I assume it is because they soften their water, as the shampoo and conditioner they supply is fairly middle of the road stuff. I’d love to be able to make it look like that more often but have no idea how. Short of going to the gym more (I know!), how can I make middle aged hair look better?

hendricksyousay Sat 28-Oct-17 10:03:02

Which products do you use ? Have you tried going silicone free ? Or install a water softener in your home ?

alwaysstressed Sat 28-Oct-17 10:15:44

I got a Kerasilk keratin treatment on my frizz bomb and its the best thing ive ever done!
I could never ever wear my hair down as it would just turn to frizz within 10 minutes. It was so bad.
Im on week 6 now and its still silky smooth, its suppose to last 3-5 months depending on how often you wash it. It’s fairly expensive mine was £200 but completely worth it, its literally changed my life, highly recommend

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:20:35

Kerastase products leave my hair sleek and shiny. Everything else in the world leaves it looking like a Bee Gee's pubic region.

Rainbowglow Sat 28-Oct-17 13:55:00

I really like Living Proof no frizz range.

MayFayner Sat 28-Oct-17 13:56:52

Have you got a decent hairdryer? Parlux / Eti or similar?

CappuccinoCake Sat 28-Oct-17 14:10:04

I get a Brazilian keratin trearment. Found somewhere that does it for just under 100 though (my hairs shoulderlentth thoigh. I think it costs more if it's longer ) Its actually magic.

PepeLePew Sat 28-Oct-17 14:12:15

Thanks everyone. Maybe I need to experiment with different shampoo types. I typically just grab whatever is on offer. Hairdryer is a Parlux so should be ok. No room for a water softener but shall check out keratin treatments

CappuccinoCake Sat 28-Oct-17 14:14:56

Its often jyst called a "Brazillian" (check you're getting the right type ;) ) . Mine now lasts several months.

ViserionTheDragon Sat 28-Oct-17 19:23:19

Definitely get a Brazilian blow dry.

TheChineseChicken Sat 28-Oct-17 19:25:28

I think you can get little water softener units that screw into your shower head. I idea how well they work though

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 28-Oct-17 19:40:59

Don't over complicate this! If you are just using any old shampoo at home, and the problem is fixed by using the shampoo at the gym, then it is 1000x more likely that this is something that you can solve with a trip to Boots, without necessitating a £150 salon treatment. You probably just need a serum.

Hard water can be a factor but I don't think it's as big a deal as you think. I used to live in Cambridge which is SO HARD and I just had to use more product.

There are hundreds of things on the market which will fix this. Lots of smoothing and frizz reducing products have silicone in. Some people hate them; it's probably better for your hair to forgo them completely but equally for other people they are a lifesaver and can be used without any problems. Just try something and take it from there! Products you could try include: John Frieda Frizz Ease (v basic but that might be all you need), Bumble & Bumble hairdressers invisible oil range, Davines Oi Milk. Or without silicone: Windle & Moodie day cream, Davines love range. I don't really know Kerastase but it's very good.

Pcat Sat 28-Oct-17 22:06:22

Why not steal a bit of shampoo and conditioner from the gym and try it at home? If you get the same effect at home then ask the gym what it is...... if you don't then start researching water softeners?

TheEmpressWears Sat 28-Oct-17 22:12:49

I live in soft water area and my hair is frizzier here than in a hard waTer area so i dont think your hair would be less frizzy because of water softener in the shampoo!!

Leamington99 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:23:37

Try the TIGI bed head duo sets of shampoo and conditioners. You can normally get the giant bottles as a set for £10-£15 from Feelunique and it’s salon quality perfection. Shampoo and conditioner really makes a difference, also a good serum eg Moroccan oil

PepeLePew Sun 29-Oct-17 17:29:24

Bought a bottle of Herbal Essences shampoo (no silicone) this morning and tried it just now, with serum. Definitely better than before. Will persist then move on to the TIGI stuff as that seems very popular. My best friend just suggested more frequent gym trips - she may have a point there!

gingerbreadmam Sun 29-Oct-17 17:34:04

I don't really have frizzy hair but I just bought L'Oréal expertise smooth frizz free no sulphates shampoo and conditioner in super drug 2 for £7 and must say I am very impressed with it.

Smells and feels like I've had a trip to the salon.

Flippingecktucker Sun 29-Oct-17 17:36:48

Why not just buy the shampoo and conditioner that the gym supplies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now