Talk

Advanced search

Indian wedding reception need sari or something traditional

(19 Posts)
heckythump01 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:40:59

Any ideas?????

listsandbudgets Thu 26-Oct-17 21:48:50

Where do you live? Most big cities will have areas where its very easy to buy saris etc.

Or you could try a site like this

stayfit Thu 26-Oct-17 21:49:24

Saree or salwar kameez. Whereabouts are you? Lots of shops in London. Any Indian friends you can borrow from?

wizzywig Thu 26-Oct-17 21:49:53

Would an very sparkly/ glam top with black trousers be ok?

listsandbudgets Thu 26-Oct-17 21:50:39

Someone more informed will no doubt be along in a bit but I think the bride will usually wear red so possibly avoid that. Also I think white may be the colour for funerals

stayfit Thu 26-Oct-17 21:50:40

I have been here and liked their stuff https://venisons.com/new-products.html/

twinkledag Thu 26-Oct-17 21:51:17

Try Virgos Lounge for a dress or jumpsuit.

Maya on ASOS is also good for sparkly dresses.

twinkledag Thu 26-Oct-17 21:51:58

Oops just saw you need something traditional. Try the website Viva-Luxe

heckythump01 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:54:04

Hi! I just dont want to look ott/ ridiculous its not an indian wedding jusy. A themed
night do...... As couple not religious! I live somewhere with lots of shops available....

heckythump01 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:55:08

Excuse spelling on phone.....!

Candlelight234 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:00:41

We were staying in a hotel in summer when an Indian wedding was taking place. All the ladies outfits were very colourful, lots of beading, sequins & gold. Very blingyZ

HolyShet Thu 26-Oct-17 22:02:19

I was going to say unless you're Indian, not to wear traditional Indian clothes tbh

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Thu 26-Oct-17 22:06:27

Is the expectation that all guests wear traditional wear? Without being rude, sometimes western people wearing traditional clothes can seem either a bit try hard or at worst culturally insensitive. If the expectation is there, great, if not something else.

ZaphodBeeblerox Thu 26-Oct-17 22:12:00

Both my sister and I loved having everyone dress up in Indian clothes for our weddings, including our English/American friends not of Indian origin. I don’t imagine it’ll be offensive.

There are loads of shops as PP have pointed out. Other option is to get a really colourful scarf or stole with Indian print and pair it with black dress + some dangle earrings for a nice evening look with a slight Indian twist.

PerditaNitt Thu 26-Oct-17 23:24:08

I'm with zaphod on this; I loved seeing non-Indian guests wear Indian outfits for my wedding and they all enjoyed getting dressed up and trying something new. That said, the guests who wore western clothes all looked lovely and were probably more comfortable too! I hate wearing saris myself bcos I find them a faff to put on (its a two person job for me!!) so often wear a dress style Indian outfit because it is more comfy. There is a big trend for Indian wedding receptions for some guests to wear western evening dress for the reception, so something glitzy from monsoon, coast, etc would do the job and you can more likely wear it again! You can always get something quite plain and go all out with jewellery. Id recommend red dot jewels (check out their amazing instagram pictures); absolutely worth the investment.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Thu 26-Oct-17 23:30:09

Do you mean neither the bride nor groom are Indian?

twinkledag Fri 27-Oct-17 12:26:11

It is always lovely to see non-Indians in Indian outfits, they look stunning.

heckythump01 Tue 31-Oct-17 03:36:14

Sorry for delayed response! Thanks for all posts! To clarify its a non religious evening do, groom is indian! Theres no pressure to dreas up although from speaking to people most are.......! Will have a look at all suggestions, thankyou allflowers

twinkledag Tue 31-Oct-17 08:26:24

Also try Quiz for sparkly dresses.
Godiva is good too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: