Talk

Advanced search

Dungaree dress...yay or nay?

(42 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 26-Oct-17 14:17:58

I like the idea of a cord dungaree dress in a dark colour over opaques and long sleeved Tees, but am having second thoughts, I mean, this is something I'd dress my little ones in, is it a bit much a grown woman wearing similar? Plus, what would I put on my feet?

dontquotemeondailymail Thu 26-Oct-17 14:32:39

I bought one in black, with the same idea as you. I've put it on loads of times, with different tops, shoes, boots... and chickened out of wearing it each time confused

Somehow it just never feels right on me

Actually that reply is probably no help to you at all, but maybe someone will come along with useful advice for both of us!

Caulk Thu 26-Oct-17 14:37:08

I got one last winter and wore it a lot. They’re very versatile but get one that fits well.

Etymology23 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:37:25

I wear mine all the time with leggings as it's short, and then wear boots or converse with it. (Or sometimes trainers but they look kinda odd with it!)

I'm in my 20s and not a hugely conventional person (but fairly conventional when it comes to clothing) if that makes any difference to whether it's a reasonable clothing choice! I don't think it's that flattering on me because I have wide hips but it's incredibly comfy and has pockets so I don't care. I get complimented on it though, so it mustn't be too horrifying.

JesusTapdancingChrist Thu 26-Oct-17 14:39:38

I love them. Have a few in cord/denim.

I wear mine with all sorts of tops and either Docs or smarter ankle boots.

Just don't wear a long sleeve yellow top under one or your DC will ask why you're dressed like a minion angry grin.

EdgarAllanPO Thu 26-Oct-17 14:41:29

I have a navy cord one from sainsbury's,just don't wear it with striped betons and you won't look like a toddler. I wear mine with buttoned up patterned shirts. I think sainsbury's have a green cord one in stock at the moment. I might purchase.

EdgarAllanPO Thu 26-Oct-17 14:47:05

This is mine, same as last year. 25% off at the moment too. I can't find the green one.

BusterGonad Thu 26-Oct-17 14:48:52

I bought a denim one and always felt like I looked fat and older than my years in it! It just didn't suit me at all and I felt like I was trying to be wacky by wearing it!

MsHarry Thu 26-Oct-17 14:49:29

I love it. I have one. I'm 46 and wear it with tightish long sleeved tops/roll necks, opaques and boots. My teenage DDs haven't guffawed(that I've noticed) and they would, believe me!

glovesonstrings Thu 26-Oct-17 14:50:14

Oh Buster... ‘wacky’! that’s put the nail in the coffin for me buying one of these!

ElmerFudge Thu 26-Oct-17 14:52:46

I have a black denim one, more pinafore style. I wear t-shirts underneath (sometimes Breton!), black tights & biker boots. Comfy for loafing about in, and easy to throw a coat over when going out.

FucksakeCuntingFuckingTwats Thu 26-Oct-17 14:54:39

I really like them with a black polo, tights, chunky socks and Chelsea boots.

ElmerFudge Thu 26-Oct-17 14:55:26

Wacky! I remember India Knight writing about this in a book she did about dressing your older self. My much-worn pinafore dress is just about ready for the Oxfam bag, now you mention it...

EdgarAllanPO Thu 26-Oct-17 14:57:26

I also own some teenagers who would rip the piss, so far this hasn't happened. and believe mine would seize any opportunity

BusterGonad Thu 26-Oct-17 15:00:28

It's just how I felt wearing it! Still the only word that summed up my feelings in the dress.

poopukeandbabywipes Thu 26-Oct-17 15:19:11

I have a few in different colours and they’re my go to choice. I like wearing skirts but these are so much more comfortable!

keeponkeepinon Thu 26-Oct-17 15:30:55

It's the sainsbury one! In navy or a very dark tartan. I'm just not sure whether it's be flattering and what I would wear for shoes as my Chelsea boots have a low block heel and might be too formal, but then my tan knee boots would be overkill. I couldn't do converse, I'd be wearing the same as my daughter!
I don't know if I can pull this off, I don't want it to sit in the wardrobe cos I chicken out either dontquote!

EdgarAllanPO Thu 26-Oct-17 15:35:04

Just buy it now keepon, you know you want to. I wore mine this week with navy suede and patent brogue boots. Twas all good.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 26-Oct-17 15:38:25

edgar I bought that Sainsbury's one today! Bloody love it!
And I will almost certainly wear it with stripes, because I'm a stripe addict! 😬😂

keeponkeepinon Thu 26-Oct-17 15:41:09

OK. Navy cord or very dark tartan check navy and green. Both sainsbury!
Plus I am short and chlsea ankle boots don't always work on me with skirts. I've got dm floras and they would look ridiculous! But if they were shorter they'd be fine.

keeponkeepinon Thu 26-Oct-17 15:41:55

Great squirrel!
What shoes will you be pairing it with?

keeponkeepinon Thu 26-Oct-17 15:43:21

Sorry I know a lot are saying boots, but what kind of boots specifically?

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 26-Oct-17 15:46:04

I've got brown Chelsea boots and blue suede sort of pixie boots. I wear either with a skirt. I'm not tall but my skirts are short enough (still pretty modest length) that my legs look ok.
I never wear heels and go straight from sandals to boots in the winter! 😂

EdgarAllanPO Thu 26-Oct-17 15:51:27

My boots are flat brogues I'm 5ft 1 and bird like blush. I don't mind feeling small in my pinny. I love the check one btw but it's a little too reminiscent of my school skirt so it's not going into my basket.
These are my boots and they where an absolute steal on ebay but they don't work with other outfits because of my shortness.

ZaZathecat Thu 26-Oct-17 16:07:40

Love those boots Edgar, what make are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now