Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lands End commuter coat

(17 Posts)
dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 10:53:29

Help please.
I am buying the Lands End Commuter coat.
Waterproof and warm for walking to work commute.
Dilemma:
I am size 16.
It comes in Medium - 14-16
and Large - 16-18

Which one should I go for please ?

MissConductUS Thu 26-Oct-17 11:03:47

I'd take the large. It will give you more room underneath for a sweater or jacket. You can always send it back if you don't like the fit.

I love Lands End. All of our winter coats (and many other things) are from them.

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 11:10:42

Will I look like the Michelin man?
I'm not in the UK so returns are very costly sad
I returned a Seasalt coat and it cost €20 postage ( with insurance)!!!!

allegretto Thu 26-Oct-17 11:13:34

Ask yourself whether you would prefer it to be a little tight or too loose! Personally I would go for the smaller size as I don't wear bulky jumpers when I walk to work (or at work). The walking keeps you warm!

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-Oct-17 11:15:35

In Lands End, I'd go for the Medium as they do seem to run on the large size, and the coats are cut to allow for layers underneath

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 11:21:33

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
I really appreciate it.
I'll be in a suit jacket underneath.

NinjaPosse Thu 26-Oct-17 11:24:00

I have two Lands End coats and they're both larger than I thought they would be. I'd buy the smaller one.

BiddyPop Thu 26-Oct-17 12:13:36

If it helps, I get Lands End tops a lot and find that, as an 18 in general, I am swimming in the L tops (very loose and baggy, so make me look huge) and have been getting M instead to have them fitting without being tight.

As a comparator, in M&S I definitely still take an 18.

For work/commute though, I have an Ilse Jacobsen coat (the longer one to my knees, size 44) and that is great for windy and wet DART platforms etc. And I can easily put a M&S rib jumper over a thermal vest under that.

BikeRunSki Thu 26-Oct-17 12:26:57

Lands End tops are very generous, but I find their tailored bottoms less so.

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 12:34:59

Thanks a mil
Biddy where did you get the Ilse Jacobsen and what style ? I might be able to source it in a shop in Ireland so no exorbitant returns fee.

BiddyPop Thu 26-Oct-17 12:46:48

I know I had tried on the shorter version summer 2016 in a boutique on main street in Lahinch, and then bought the longer version online (Dh had seen it first and knows where to source things - I am rubbish, and I have it over a year now). Sorry. But it is wearing incredibly well, if you do find a stockist! (I think its the softshell raincoat).

(I may have seen them in 53 Degrees North in Carrickmines, if that is any use to you - but don't trust me on that, ring them before making a trek unless it's close to you - or it might have been Avoca Handweavers).

ASheepInWolfsClothing Thu 26-Oct-17 13:35:48

Biddy and Dublinia can I ask, do you use address pal/ parcel motel? I presume it’s cheaper than using Lands End own shipping? Oh and are there extra taxes likely when purchases arrive?

BiddyPop Thu 26-Oct-17 13:55:27

In my case, I sometimes buy from LE UK and sometimes from LE USA - as there are some things (like boys school sports shorts) that we want and they don't stock in the UK. (DD bought some when we were in the US a few years ago and they are much loved and worn to bits so they actually are worth it).

DH uses parcel motel a lot, I don't usually bother but I often go over the threshold to get free delivery by putting a few things I want/need together in a large order.

And I don't remember any additional customs etc on USA purchases from LE, although I know I have had them on various other USA purchases over the years (like the handbag DH got me that DMIL had to pay extra on for Christmas!! blush )

HTH

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 17:45:24

ASheepin
I use AddressPal but it is no use if you have to return an item.
I felt I had to insure the return to Seasalt so it added almost €9 I think to the cost ( €12) of returning the coat

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 17:45:58

Thank you BiddyPop.

dublinia Thu 26-Oct-17 17:46:51

MrsSchadenfreude
THANK YOU so much
Faints at your kindness.

Dozer Thu 26-Oct-17 17:51:38

The sizing comes up large IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now