Talk

Advanced search

The ordinary - what am I doing wrong?

(8 Posts)
colonelgoldfish Thu 26-Oct-17 06:52:53

I recently heard about the ordinary and decided to add some products into my routine which was just a very basic cleanse, tone and moisturise routine (though skin was good). I added in the Vitamin C suspension first to AM routine. Then PM I added the azaelic acid suspension followed by Squalene. I have an oily t-zone, some scarring from acne and some pigmentation around my eyes left from pregnancy.

They seem to have caused havoc with my skin! My pores are now huge and feel 'clogged' and I've been having more breakouts than normal. I really want to like them but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong? Everyone else seems to adore the products. I have a feeling it may be the Squalene as I wake up so greasy each morning. Any ideas?

Ktown Thu 26-Oct-17 06:54:18

Depends on your cleansing routine.
But squalene is rich so it is likely to be that plus the silicone from th vit c.

Fibbertigibbet Thu 26-Oct-17 07:46:38

I like The Ordinary's products generally, but the three you've listed here are my least favourites, and I have similar skin to you (generally even with areas of pigmentation from acne scarring, oily t-zone, some acne)!

The squalene I found horribly oily and broke me out (often products don't change my acne as it is hormonal). The vitamin c I found irritated my skin and felt horrible. The azelaic acid tbh just didn't do much. I did however love their retinoid 2% and I use some of their other acids when I want something stronger than my usual ones.

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-Oct-17 07:50:11

If your skin was “very good” with your old routine, I’d go back to that. Not everyone suits the same kind of skincare. Certainly for me, keeping it simple is best.

AwkwardSquad Thu 26-Oct-17 07:54:42

I have skin with a tendency to break out too. I’ve started with just a couple of products, one of which is the squalene. It’s given me a breakout so I’ve decided to keep it for occasional use, for when I need a moisture boost. The ‘moisturising factors’, on the other hand, seems to be suiting my skin. Might try adding another product from the range soon.

Floisme Thu 26-Oct-17 08:09:16

I agree with Purple. I developed very sensitive skin after experimenting with too many products and it's left me rather wary of new treatments, especially when they come accompanied by a big fan club. I would go back to the routine that works for your skin - the only thing I would add is a separate sunscreen.

If you do want to up your game a bit, I would just try one new product at a time and wait at least 4 weeks without changing anything else. Then if you do get a reaction, you've some idea what's causing it.

colonelgoldfish Thu 26-Oct-17 09:09:14

Thank you all! I think it may be those 3 products just don't suit my skin then.

I'll revert to my previous products and hopefully my skin will go back to normal. Then I can try one new ordinary product at a time and see if any others suit me better.

I'm almost 30 and although my skin was good (apart from scarring and pigmentation) I'd noticed some fine lines on my forehead so wanted to see if anything would help.

Back to the drawing board!

BearPear Thu 26-Oct-17 09:21:19

Apparently the Victoria Health website will send you a routine for your particular concerns. I didn't use their service myself, I just read & researched a lot before ordering some products. However I haven't noticed much difference to be truthful! Not unpleasant, just no noticeable improvement (mature skin with occasional hormonal breakout).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now