Talk

Advanced search

Aluminium-free roll on, not tested on animals.. recommendations?

(18 Posts)
Wispygypsy Thu 26-Oct-17 00:04:49

Any recommendations? I want to change to aluminium-free roll on (antiperspirant & deodorant) and one that isn't tested on animals. Not sure of which brands to try, I guess I'll have to order online as Boots don't seem to have one.

gigi556 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:06:55

Have you considered making your own? I started making my own a few months ago and haven't looked back. It's really easy!

gigi556 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:10:10

There's loads of recipes online to try. This is mine:
1 teaspoon himaylan sea salt
1 teaspoon witch hazel
1 tablespoon aloe Vera gel
Half tablespoon coconut oil
10 drops tea tree
15 drops cedar wood
10 drops pine
5 drops peppermint
3 tablespoons vegetable glycerine 

You can also add bicarbonate of soda but can leave white marks on clothes. You can also vary the essential oils,

barkingfly Thu 26-Oct-17 03:07:12

I love this stuff: www.bionsen.co.uk/faqs even more since I can order it off Amazon with free shipping, It was 108 Monday and Tuesday here-42 C to you all, so I can vouch for this.

Ididnthearanything Thu 26-Oct-17 09:24:49

I use Bionsen too. It's a deodorant tho, not an anti-perspirant. It's not bad.

specialsubject Thu 26-Oct-17 09:25:09

Animal testing has been banned in the UK for many years, and in the eu for less time. Don't buy from further afield.

shouldknowbynow Thu 26-Oct-17 10:46:09

It is been banned in the UK however the issue for many people myself included is that most of the big brands on sale here in the UK also sell their products to non-EU markets such as Asia where products are subject to random animal testing. I can see why it's important to the OP as I wouldn't purposefully want to line the pockets of a brand who will use my money to fund the sale of their products in countries where they are likely to still be tested.

specialsubject Thu 26-Oct-17 11:43:30

I think that some parts of Asia actually insist on animal testing. I find this cynically amusing when oh-so-right-on mumsnetters wax lyrical about Asian beauty products.

Good luck finding anywhere that doesn't sell globally.

BTW salt doesn't need to come from the Himalayas. To quote from the reviewing article, it is total piffle.

gigi556 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:40:29

@specialsubject you're right the salt doesn't have to be Himalayan. I've made it previously with different salt. I just copy pasted the last recipe I made up. I was fed up paying a premium for natural deodorant and my local health store kept changing the brands of what they stock. I reused an old glass roller but you can buy deodorant sticks and rollers on amazon depending on what kind you might want and to make. There's a site called Naturally Thinking as well that sells Ingredients to make own products if you'd prefer not to buy on amazon- they are based in the south east I think.

Blackbutler86 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:50:49

There's Pitrok www.boots.com/pitrok-crystal-natural-deodorant-stick-100g-10086279 it's cheaper on amazon around £4 I think

mrsvilliers2 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:57:52

I second Pitrok, it's works for me on all but the hottest days of the year. It lasts ages as well. Not sure about animal testing though.

trainedopossum Thu 26-Oct-17 13:29:25

I'm not sure about a roll-on except for the Bionsen one, which was the only Bionsen product that didn't work for me. I used Bionsen for years but now I find them too strong-smelling. I like Aesop and find it the best for odour, though it is a spray not a roll-on and it's pricey.

I made my own deodorant cream which was bulletproof - no odour breakthrough for 24hrs - but eventually it gave me a rash, probably because of the baking soda in it. If you want to give it a go I hear Soapwalla is good (similar ingredients to the recipe I used) and now they do a sensitive skin version which I plan to try: soapwallakitchen.com/search?type=product&q=deodorant

Years ago Lush used to do a cake deodorant which I loved. The patchouli one worked really well (the lemongrass one not so much). Haven't used it for ages so no idea if they still make it.

angrymummy2018 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:37:50

Here's a totally natural one, and it's made in England: www.earthconscious.co.uk/products/earth-conscious-natural-deodorant-stick

Hatstand Thu 26-Oct-17 13:39:04

I like the Lavera rollons.

NumberEightyOne Thu 26-Oct-17 13:41:12

I like the Jason deodorants, especially the Lavender.

IdentityRequest1 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:43:37

Green People do some nice ones.

angrymummy2018 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:48:32

FWIW, Pitrock is made from Ammonium Alum. Still an aluminium.

specialsubject Thu 26-Oct-17 13:53:15

Natural - like all the air miles...

Cardboard container a good idea though. But not in amazon quantities which is one of the two reasons not to buy from them.

I might just get mixing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now