Talk

Advanced search

Good waterproof coat for larger sizes

(16 Posts)
Mrsboathook Wed 25-Oct-17 19:16:01

We’ve bitten the bullet and are moving to the North Coast of Northern Ireland. Beautiful but very wet. I’m a good size 18, and I’m looking for a really good waterproof coat- we do lots of walking and plan to take advantage of the beaches! I’m after something that covers my bum. Can anyone recommend anything??

Mrsfloss Wed 25-Oct-17 19:19:03

A large north face artic will be be perfect. I have had a navy blue one for 5 years, still going strong and everyone comments on it. Large outlay but worth every penny

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 19:20:14

Do you have a mountain warehouse nearby? I was hesitant about them but it’s been the best coat I’ve had! I’ve found I have to go down a size in some of their coats but they have a lot of choice so there’s bound to be one that you like.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 25-Oct-17 19:23:34

Seasalt, I have got a westerly mac, I wear it everywhere. I think Seasalt go up to a 26.

Mrsboathook Wed 25-Oct-17 19:23:58

Thanks- I’d looked at North Face but some reviews suggested size 10 buy a medium, so I assumed I’d never get one to fit me! Do mountain warehouse do their own brand? There’s one about 45 minutes away.

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 19:29:08

Yeah mountain warehouse do. I’ve seen ones in there up to a 20 and a friend who is an 18/20 has one from there. Another friend who is an 18 (and 6ft) has a men’s trespass one which tbh is warmer and more waterproof than their women’s ones but I wouldn’t choose trespass generally.

I’m a 10-12 and wear a medium in northface.

Mrsboathook Wed 25-Oct-17 19:29:11

North Face Fit finder suggests nothing will fit me 😢. Will have a look at Seasalt.

Mrsboathook Wed 25-Oct-17 19:30:04

And a trip to mountain warehouse- thanks Caulk!

BarchesterFlowers Wed 25-Oct-17 19:34:34

Craghoppers directly as well. I bought myself this recently. I have gained a stone in weight thanks to steroids and my usual jacket doesn’t fit atm. Generously sized.

TheDailyWail Wed 25-Oct-17 19:39:46

www.bonprix.co.uk/products/waterproof-coat/_/A-966395_26

I found this one really good.

LostPlatypus Wed 25-Oct-17 19:43:33

I have a Peter Storm waterproof in a size 18 that I love, and also some Mountain Warehouse stuff in a size 20, one of which I could definitely have gone down a size in but I actually prefer it being bigger so I can wear some chunky hoodies underneath easily. (Different coats for different purposes - not all waterproofs.)

TooManyWIPs Thu 26-Oct-17 00:09:46

Bought self a long length ladies mountain warehouse coat in September (size 22). Had their men's version a few years ago which did the job too (didn't have my size in ladies at the time). Normally a size 18/20 but went up a size so it's got room for fleece underneath when it very cold, large adjustable hood (no doubt be using that feature when doing Xmas pilgrimage to the wind/rain tunnel (NI) myself (plus has plenty of large pockets too to sneak stuff past ryanair cabin restrictions too wink)

andpeggy29 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:12:04

Joules to a great range of rainwear! N go up to size 20!

PerspicaciaTick Thu 26-Oct-17 00:54:07

Land's End will make you feel positively petite.

They do all sorts - you can filter by fabric property (waterproof) as well as size. Check the sale items and also make use of the 25% discount for first time shoppers.

Something like this www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Squall_Insulated_Parka/pp/P_34905.html?cgid=12091 which also comes in a longer version.

MaudesMum Thu 26-Oct-17 07:57:23

Would also recommend Seasalt, but I also ended up moving into mens sizes at one point - although the arms are usually too long that does keep your hands dry and you get more body length as well and lots of space for jumpers underneath. If you want something waterproof but also a bit warmer, you can't go wrong with a barbour (or the knock-off equivalents you get in country stores and country fairs).

mydrawstring Thu 26-Oct-17 08:00:37

I’ve got a Joules Brodie waterproof parka. It is AMAZING.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now