Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Thoughts on this coat?

(19 Posts)
Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 11:18:05

www.stories.com/gb/Ready-to-wear/Outerwear/Captain_Coat/582949-0538031002.2

I think I love it, but am wondering if I could pull it off (am 39, 5ft 5 and a size 8) as it's quite a statement. It'll probably be a long term investment - I gave birth by C Section 5 weeks ago so I'm currently bumbling around in lovely tracksuit bottoms. smile

I tried it on in Other Stories yesterday and it's such good quality and cut so well. Just wondering how I could style it if I ever get any semblance of style back ...?

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 25-Oct-17 11:24:39

I saw that coat on a blog recently, and am personally not a fan. I like pea coats a lot, but think that one is too fancy and distinctive. I know I would get fed up of it really quickly, whereas I have a plain navy pea coat from years back which i still love and wear. I would only buy it if it was one of many coats I had to choose from rather than my “main” coat.

Nettletheelf Wed 25-Oct-17 11:29:39

It’s a bit too ‘ahoy there’ for my taste, but it is nice.

Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 11:31:27

Hmm, that's a good point. It probably wouldn't be my main winter coat (I have a short quilted/fur hood Zara coat) but I'd wear it with smart dresses and heels. It feels slightly too expensive for an occasional cost although I'd get around 50 pounds off with discounts and a gift card. Or maybe I'll risk it and see if I can get it in a sale ...

Naughtysausage Wed 25-Oct-17 11:41:11

Hmmm. It could look costume-y or it could look fab. If you love it, I think you should buy it, but, I would think that being slightly more "out there" its prime contender for the sale. Perhaps the pp who saw it in a blog could link to it so you could see it being styled?

(I think it'd look lovely with high chunky boots and tight jeans. But the last thing I wanted to wear with a baby was heels!)

Naughtysausage Wed 25-Oct-17 11:42:35

Also you might not want to imagine tight jeans either this soon after C-section! Sorry!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 25-Oct-17 11:45:05

Very nautical. I love it.

BulletFox Wed 25-Oct-17 11:53:43

I like it, but it's quite 'structured' and not one to 'snuggle' in, if that makes sense

Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 11:58:08

Oh yes, Naughty! Heels are a looong way off for me and I wouldn't wear it if I was with the children (DD2 would do a fine job of being sick on it sad).

Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 12:05:49

I think I'll go have another look at it now. I live a ten minute walk from the shop (and practically every high street shop) and am on maternity leave. Bit dangerous on maternity pay ... smile

RubbishMantra Wed 25-Oct-17 12:18:16

I think it's lovely - the stripey top makes it looks more sailor-ey on the site. Things that I spot and want to buy because I love them I'll usually wear for years to come, in spite of the general advice not to buy anything on a whim.

Would look lovely with comfy short tube shirts and tights or leggings.

Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 19:54:19

Little bump for the evening as I'm still undecided ... smile

LemonShark Wed 25-Oct-17 20:03:56

Personally I don't like it. It reminds me of something a teenager in their emo phase would wear, very tacky and a bit novelty.

repetitionrepetition Wed 25-Oct-17 20:08:35

i hate it but then my DP is an actual captain so this looks too much like his horrible uniform!

Mrsevo1 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:10:17

LOve it! Statement coats will make you feel a million quid with a pair of heels or trainers on. Treat yourself, you've had a hard few months!! 🤰🏻

Guardup Wed 25-Oct-17 20:15:01

I think it’s absolutly lovely- very classic and stylish in my eyes. I eoukd definitely compliment you on it in RL

Guardup Wed 25-Oct-17 20:15:18

*would

Nannasoup Wed 25-Oct-17 20:15:26

I personally like it, team with jeans or trousers perfect.Go for it x

Crumbelina Wed 25-Oct-17 20:17:59

I'm sure I remember Shannen Doherty (Heather Duke) wearing something like it in the film 'Heathers'. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to it? smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: