Talk

Advanced search

Home gel nails

(18 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Tue 24-Oct-17 15:05:58

I’m mulling over asking for a kit for Christmas. I’ve done a bit of research but not blown away by any reviews.
Has anyone got a kit they love?
Which polishes are the best?
Or should I not bother...

sweetheart Tue 24-Oct-17 15:07:51

I have the kit by Sensationail and find it very easy to use and their polishes work well. Some of them are dodgy colours and don't look like the advert but i wrote to them about that and they sent me a bunch of varnishes for free.

MrMeeseekscando Tue 24-Oct-17 15:12:40

Same as sweetheart
I have the sensationail kit and mine ladt longer than they used to when I got them done at a salon. I've saved £40 every 3 weeks too!

fuzzyfozzy Tue 24-Oct-17 18:24:41

Fantastic. I’ll have a look at it thanks

ProfessorCat Tue 24-Oct-17 18:29:49

Sensational here. I have their gel to polish stuff too so I can turn my normal nail polishes into gel.

Also, £40 for gel nails?! That's insane. My local salons charge £12!

evilharpy Tue 24-Oct-17 18:30:13

Bluesky polishes are very good and well priced. A DIY gel polish lasts me about two weeks I find doing the removal at home really damages my nails though, but my nails are incredibly weak and rubbish.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 18:31:05

I have Blue Sky. I think I'm doing the prep wrong as it tends to chip and/or peel.

MrMeeseekscando Tue 24-Oct-17 18:40:31

Professorcat it was a really nice salon!
I miss the girl that used to do my manicure as she was lovely, but I like having the cash more. grin

HaHaHmm Tue 24-Oct-17 18:48:32

I also have the Sensationail gel to polish which suits me brilliantly as I have an embarrassingly large collection of normal polishes. You can mix the polish with the transformer to do a traditional gel manicure which will last about 10-14 days IMO, but you can also just paint your nails normally and then use the transformer as a topcoat, which will give you a solid 7-10 days.

mydrawstring Tue 24-Oct-17 18:54:42

Another vote for sensationail. I but the blue sky polishes off Amazon to use with them.

MinkowskisButterfly Wed 25-Oct-17 14:04:18

Glad people get on with Sensationail, I'm getting it for Christmas off DH, really looking forward to getting it.

sweetheart Fri 27-Oct-17 11:55:39

Just got an email from them saying starter kits are reduced
here

thefutureisours Fri 27-Oct-17 11:59:02

It's the express gel kits that are reduced not the normal ones. I have the normal one and it's fab but the Facebook page comments seem to indicate the express gel isn't as good.

MarsBarsAreShrinking Fri 27-Oct-17 12:18:52

I've been doing mine at home for a while now and after some trial and error I can say that CND Shellac polish is the best by a mile. Followed closely by NYK1 (which is a lot cheaper but the CND polish goes on easier). I didn't get on with Gellish at all, terribly shrinking. Red Carpet manicure is okay, as is Blue Sky.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:29:39

I like Bluesky colours but only tend to get a week or so out of them. CND are amazing and have the best staying power I've found. The CND lamp is great but there's one by Mylee on Amazon that's a close second (and much smaller).

BoredOnMatLeave Fri 27-Oct-17 13:30:18

Would Sensationail work if you have basically no nails?

I'm an awful biter. Hate having acrylic extensions on as they never look nice. If I was to put the Sensationail on would it make it harder to bite and more likely to grow?

DeltaG Fri 27-Oct-17 13:50:08

I've got a CND kit which I bought here in Switzerland. I am extremely pleased with it and often buy colours off Ebay as there are some decent deals on there.

I attach a pic of my nails currently. This polish has been on a week and last weekend I stripped and re-painted a wardrobe without gloves!

MarsBarsAreShrinking Fri 27-Oct-17 15:10:14

BoredOnMatLeave I don't know if it would make them less attractive to bite but it certainly protects and keeps them strong. It forms a much harder and tougher surface than regular nail polish, making nails a lot less prone to breaking... in my experience anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now