Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to dress a large apple?

(4 Posts)
Bitsy1968 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:40:36

I'm 50, 5'7 tall, 14 stone (ouch) and would have considered myself a large hourglass (size 16 to 18) until relatively recently. The advent of the menopause has turned me into an apple - from the side, my belly sticks out more than my boobs (and I have these, in abundance - 36FF). I hate my belly, and I'm extremely self concious of my chest so never wear anything fitted or shapely. My legs are okay - I'm a trouser girl and boot cut works best for me. My problem is my top half. I feel really ungainly and boxy, and I know I look crap.

I know I need to lose weight, but I need a bit of a confidence boost whilst that's happening. My life, for the last ten years, has been all about others. I was the sole carer for my elderly parents, and lived in a uniform of fleeces, t-shirts and boot cut jeans or jeggings. Frankly, I've looked like shit for a decade and now that I've lost both parents, it's my turn.

Where do I start? I've no idea what suits me any more. I've recently inherited a wee bit of money from my parents and, for the first time in years, can afford to spend a little bit on myself. I just don't trust myself to spend it wisely, regarding clothing. I fear I'm going to end up in the same saggy mens t-shirts (mens, because womens t shirts are always too short in the body for me, I like 'em long) and shapeless fleeces.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mosaic123 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:53:55

Book a personal shopper session (free) in a depth store. Even if you don't buy much there you can take mental note of their suggestions as to styles of clothing.

Mosaic123 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:54:30

Department Store, such as John Lewis.

Bitsy1968 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:00:27

I've just been looking at the John Lewis website about this, funnily enough. I spotted another post about one stylist not listening to her client, but reading the whole thread, seems like it was an exception rather than the rule. I'm going to do that I think. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now