Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jewellery alterations

(9 Posts)
Checkedstripes Mon 23-Oct-17 13:36:44

Has anyone ever had a piece of jewellery altered? DP bought me a ring a couple of years ago but the setting that the stone is in is really chunky and means that I catch it on everything and so now am too scared to wear it. I've love to have the stone shrunk slightly and so that the setting is in line with the band and not above it. Is this possible?

ilovecherries Mon 23-Oct-17 16:06:00

I can't really visualise what you are describing but I recently had an alteration to an antique ring where the central diamond stood proud of its setting and had become loose. In order to recycle the existing platinum claws, they 'dropped' the diamond a few mms deeper into its setting, and reclawed it using the existing platinum. It now sits flush with the top of the setting. So it's def not a stupid request! I'd take it in and ask for a quote.

PollyPerky Mon 23-Oct-17 16:46:38

Harriet Kelsall is a jeweller who does this kind of thing.

www.hkjewellery.co.uk/

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 23-Oct-17 19:58:55

To have a stone 'shrunk' it would need recut which is expensive.
I'd look at having the setting changed.

It really depends on the ring though, as without seeing it it's impossible to say what could be done with it.

Run it past a few local independents and see what their recommendations/prices are.

Checkedstripes Tue 24-Oct-17 10:51:10

Thanks for the responses. I’ll have a look at that recommdation. Sadly, a few local to me won’t work with silver so I’ll keep looking!

Mosaic123 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:18:47

Have it reset in white gold.
Without bring rude OP, most people wouldn't want to spend money having a silver ring reset. I dint suppose it is a request most jewelers get.

The labour is what costs.

Maybe look on Etsy for home based jewellers who make silver rings with stones to order they might be able to help you.

Peppermeant Tue 24-Oct-17 11:22:08

What is the stone? Depending on the stone, I agree with pp, get it reset in white gold in a less chunky setting

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 24-Oct-17 14:00:01

If it's an amethyst or onyx or similar then it's really not cost efficient to have it reset in white gold.

There are jewellers who work in silver (everyone in my city does) but prepare to pay for the work.

I would just wear it. If you bump it off something and the setting takes a beating then you can pop it in for a repair and kill two birds with one stone.

Checkedstripes Tue 24-Oct-17 14:50:13

I don’t like wearing any form of gold so that’s not really an option. I’ve found an independent who might be able to make it slightly more wearable so I have my fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now