Talk

Advanced search

No-poo & cone free- how do you know if it's working?

(19 Posts)
TeaAddict235 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:00:21

I'm half on the sulphate free Shampoo and silicone free Conditioner bandwagon, but I'm not completely convinced. My hair gets really dry using most silicone free Conditioners and sometimes my scalp just needs some proper lather to be clean.

For anyone (3a+ especially 4'ers) who has been on this bandwagon, how do you see and feel that this is working? How long have you been cowashing and do you really never sometimes just want to use the other stuff?

Arrrgg

withlotsoflove Mon 23-Oct-17 11:22:32

Have you tried green people shampoo? It really is the only organic shampo/ conditioner that doesn’t rip my hair to shreads.
I have ( l think) 2c hair - l think that pertains to very wavy?
Anyway, it really is quite expensive- but lasts a long time. The artichoke conditioner is the best l’ve ever tried.smile

withlotsoflove Mon 23-Oct-17 11:23:09

Oh, and my hair definitely felt clean when using it.

rightknockered Mon 23-Oct-17 12:20:01

My hair was very dry when I first went cone free. The silicones mask the actual condition of your hair. I've been treating my hair with protein (mixing mayonnaise with conditioner and leaving it on for 20 minutes or so) and things have improved. I also only really shampoo my hair around once a week, sometimes once a fortnight, usually after I've had the roots done. The rest of the time I co-wash.

rightknockered Mon 23-Oct-17 12:22:40

Oh and I have wavy hair, prone to frizz, and the frizz is now under control

Incitatus Mon 23-Oct-17 14:37:08

I’m now using a soap bar shampoo to wash my hair followed by a lemon and white vinegar rinse. It’s nice and clean and soft with no frizz and no need for conditioner.

hendricksyousay Mon 23-Oct-17 15:33:55

Do you have curly hair ? I don’t know what those numbers mean !... I have curly hair , I know it’s working because it’s actually curly and not frizzy 😬

newdocket Mon 23-Oct-17 15:58:37

Incitatus, can I ask which shampoo you are using? I want to try what you are doing!
Thanks

Dontfuckingsaycheese Mon 23-Oct-17 16:06:11

I've been doing it since January and my hair feels much better. Softer and smoother. I use tresemme expert bontanique to wash. Good splurge on. Bit of a rub comb through then rinse at end of shower. If I want a shampoo I use the matching shampoo or body shop rainforest. First few days hair felt pretty greasy. Now doesn't so assume it's now all balenced and happy. Assuming it takes a good while to grow out all that siliconed, shampooed hair???

TeaAddict235 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:53:03

Yes hendricks my hair is very curly. The hair scale is used to describe the wave, density and porosity. It starts at 1 which is dead straight hair (I suppose like ethnic Chinese hair) all the way to 4 which is very curly (like very curly Afro hair), and it is all the rage on YouTube to be able to understand different hair needs. The higher up the scale you go the more porous and thus the more delicate and prone to damage (due to weather, care, treatment etc).

But I feel like my hair looks extremely dull and grey using the whole method. I've got a great Shampoo by Logona, with Aloe Vera in it. And a Jason lavender Conditioner.

I feel like the only way to perk my hair up is to use Pantene Keratin Conditioner blush...but then I have to eventually go back to using a sls containing Shampoo or risk build up.

Ollivander84 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:13:32

I co wash with conditioner only, have done for about 7 months now. Never use shampoo
I leave in a bit of conditioner then apply my products

Hellywelly10 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:19:04

I have 2c hair was cowashing when my hair was longer. I noticed the curl was more defined and less fuzzy. However did use shampoo on occasion. I think your on the wrong forum. There are loads of natural hair forums out there. But they are mainly American.

Incitatus Mon 23-Oct-17 17:42:33

I got a bar from Wild Sage & Co just to try. It smells nice and fresh. The first two times I used it my hair felt clean, but a bit limp. I did a bit of investigating on YouTube and found people recommending apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. I only had white vinegar in so just used that instead. Hair was improved after that. It doesn’t need conditioner at all, but it doesn’t feel oily or anything.

Dh is using it as well and his hair is fine without a rinse because it’s very short.

You just mix around two squirts of vinegar and two of lemon juice into a jug, add warm water and pour it over the scalp and hair giving it a good massage in as you go. Leave for a minute or two then give a good rinse out.

Conventional shampoo dries and irritates the skin on my body and face if it comes into contact with it so I’m glad to find something non irritating/drying.

Enterthedragons Mon 23-Oct-17 17:47:52

It doesn’t work for me. Makes my hair feel absolutely horrible, rough and frizzy. There was a whole other thread on here recently about someone who went back to shampoo and silicone and had forgotten how amazing it made her hair feel. So many people agreed. I don’t think it works for everyone.

Incitatus Mon 23-Oct-17 17:51:22

I was using a neals yard sls free shampoo which was too strong for my hair and it ended up all knotty and horrible. If I conditioned it after the shampoo it just went limp and flat.

picklemepopcorn Mon 23-Oct-17 17:59:47

You might need acid rinses or protein. It’s not as straight forward as just using conditioner. The No Poo Facebook page has loads of information. I use a mixture on my hair according to what it needs each week. So I’m trying to increase the moisture and protein at the moment.

Vitalogy Mon 23-Oct-17 18:01:55

This is good. Hairdresser recommended a coconut based shampoo for dryness. They do a conditioner too.

www.superdrug.com/Palmer%27s/Palmer%27s-Coconut-Oil-Repairing-Shampoo-400ml/p/335254

Vitalogy Mon 23-Oct-17 18:03:25

ps, that company do an olive oil one too, not tried it though.

Fiona1984 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:12:30

I tried washing my hair with soap out of curiosity (it was a paraben, silicon and SLS free one from The Little Soap Company), and I regretted it immediately. My hair was very greasy, I ended up spraying it with dry shampoo just because I refused to wash it twice in one day.
Oh well, you gotta try everything once lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now