Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about "getting my colours done"

(79 Posts)
PerditaNitt Mon 23-Oct-17 09:52:14

My wardrobe needs a post-maternity leave update and before investing in more grey, black and navy clothes, I was thinking of getting a colour consultation.

Any views on whether this is worth doing? Also, any opinions on HoC vs Colour me beautiful

Any recommendations for stylists in north west or central London would also be appreciated!

whiteviolet Mon 23-Oct-17 19:43:44

I had my colours done before my wedding (my mum wanted hers doing for her ‘mother of the bride’ outfit and I tagged along), I can’t recommend it enough! I found that the difference between the colours that really suited me and those that made me look awful was staggering. Although I already knew some of my best colours, there were quite a few that I’d never tried that made me look amazing (not bragging or anything! But bluer eyes, whiter teeth, glowing skin etc) and my mum was the same. I also went back for the makeup session which was fantastic, I now have a makeup bag full of makeup that really suits me and if I’m knackered/hungover I can make myself look 100x better in a few mins, rather than just covering up the haggardness!

I went to House of Colour, I can’t remember my reasons now but I know I researched it loads (on Mumsnet and other forums) before choosing. I felt it was good value for money, plus my consultant (nowhere near London, sorry) was lovely and realistic - e.g. I’m a spring so shouldn’t wear black, but I had at the time some gorgeous little black dresses that I loved, she said to wear the ones least close to my face (ie the off the shoulder one and the plunging neckline one and just make sure I get my makeup spot on. Yes a bright coral dress is a better colour for me, but it’s not half as slimming!!)

I’d say go for it, you won’t regret it smile

hmmwhatatodo Mon 23-Oct-17 19:55:44

I’ve thought about this for quite a while now but aside from the cost that’s putting me off, I’m not sure how much I would enjoy doing the sessions with 2 or 3 other people I didn’t know, especially if it turned out they were friends and I was the extra person! Even more random is my though that I book in for a session and end up with someone I know/recognise. I wish it was just a one to one session.

Paintbox Mon 23-Oct-17 19:58:34

Hmm, I didn’t want to share my session either but in the end I loved having someone go before me as I got to really see what it was about before having mine done, it really did help

hmmwhatatodo Mon 23-Oct-17 20:04:18

I’ve just had another look on my local ones page. £140 3 people 4.5 hours. Is it possible that one of the other people will be very demanding and therefore take up a lot of the time? I also wonder if it’s possible that no one else books and you get the session to yourself ( much shorter I imagine).

NC4now Mon 23-Oct-17 20:06:35

Is the fee split between the three of you then? Or each?

hmmwhatatodo Mon 23-Oct-17 20:07:07

No it’s per person!

PerditaNitt Mon 23-Oct-17 22:17:24

Whiteviolet, you've made it sound like a no brainer! I will look into my closest HoC representative and do some further research.

Paintbox, i think that is a good point; it is quite nice to see other people go before you too and get some ideas from them too. I didn't even think to book as a group; I might ask two friends to come and see if we can have a private session just for the three of us. We might make it a reason for our annual Xmas get together and follow it up with a nice lunch. It is pricey, but it is cheaper than having a wardrobe of clothes that don't make me happy and eventually end up in the charity shop (at least that is how I'm justifying the cost)

mimiasovitch Mon 23-Oct-17 23:35:12

I went with two strangers, but actually I liked it like that in the end. It was easier to see the difference on other people who I had no preconceptions about in a way, so I could then see it on myself.

CheshireSplat Mon 23-Oct-17 23:39:23

I see you already have been persuaded, but I wanted to add that it changed my life. Seriously! I used to hate clothes shopping but quite like it now. Most of the colours that suit me are usually around in the spring, so that's when I'll do most shops.

I went with 2 friends and that was good because we all came out with different colours. But only by being able to compare could we see how different we were; e.g. we all had red and green and blue, but different shades.

toffee1000 Tue 24-Oct-17 02:04:45

From doing various online analyses I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d be a warm autumn/clear one. Unfortunately all the autumn colours are hideous: brown, beigey, khaki. I do not want to walk around like a giant turd. When I looked through a Kettlewell leaflet I didn’t really like the autumn clothes, the ones I did like were mostly spring/summer. So, unlike most Mumsnetters it seems, I am not a fan of the colours thing. I prefer wearing colours I actually like, and tend to pick ones that suit me naturally. So what if they’re not my season?
I would also hate to hang around for 4.5 hours with a bunch of strangers.

Floisme Tue 24-Oct-17 07:36:51

I've not had mine done because I think I'm reasonably good at seeing what colours suit me (I think its more abut the shade/tone than the colour) and therefore I really don't care what season I am. However if I couldn't see it for myself, I'd have it done like a shot.

I also have friends who aren't really into clothes, who've had it done and thoroughly recommend it. They say it makes shopping and getting dressed a no-brainer whereas I enjoy figuring all that stuff out for myself, even if I get it wrong sometimes. So I think it just depends which camp you're in. As far as I'm aware, everyone I know has used House of Colour.

mowglik Tue 24-Oct-17 08:33:25

OP i would really recommend it but if you are worried about the cost, look into being a model for CMB/HOC training days. CMB is in central London and HOC does theirs in Watford. I’ve done both and... I was given a different ‘season’ (CMB don’t do seasons but I came out as essentially what is known as deep autumn) by each.

The trainees are overseen by the tutors so I’m surprised I got two different results but anyway long story short I seem to obviously be a warm autumn and a lot of my wardrobe are those colours. HOC diagnosed me as a winter and sunddenly I can really see the difference and realise why I felt so washed out and drab in so many of my clothes!

So on that basis I recommend HOC grin.

mowglik Tue 24-Oct-17 08:34:13

It’s free btw if you decide to go down the model route and you can do it as often as you like!

Mycarsmellsoflavender Tue 24-Oct-17 08:44:56

I used the Colour me beautiful book in the 80s! It's very dated now but the colours still make sense to me. I'm an autumn. Zero cost as well as I borrowed it from the library. smile

PerditaNitt Tue 24-Oct-17 10:02:40

Thank you all for the great advice. I think that HoC seems to be the way forward!

floisme - I think I would benefit from some guidance because I'm not that creative when it comes to choosing clothes and I always go for the same options!

PeoniesforMissAnnersley Tue 24-Oct-17 10:08:19

I had mine done and was told I’m an autumn ... I hate all the autumn colours unfortunately and live in black/grey! I also had the style analysis and was told I should wear things with frills and bows and cute details, all of which I hate. hmm

rizlett Tue 24-Oct-17 10:16:05

I had mine done years ago and it makes shopping so much easier - I always used to spend ages wondering what colour to buy. Everything in your wardrobe will co-ordinate with everything else as well.

I now decorate my house from my colour palette. <over invested>

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 24-Oct-17 10:24:27

I did CMB with a group of friends back in the early 90s. I don't like some of the colours given to me but I do more or less stick to it. I ditch the navy blue mascara though smile

Now that I am in my 50s and my skin tone and hair colour are different I keep thinking I should get it re-done but as a "spring" I tend to go for a lot of pastels anyway so not sure it wold make a lot of difference.

Incidentally, I also use the same pallet to decorate my house - I always look better in my house than other peoples! grin

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 24-Oct-17 10:25:37

ha ha, i didn't see your post before I typed mine rizlett Great minds and all that jazz...

PerditaNitt Tue 24-Oct-17 17:59:58

Wow, this is going to be quite an investment if it will require new wallpaper too smile. Thank you all for your comments, both the pros and cons. Very much appreciated!

Countduckulanose Tue 24-Oct-17 18:37:47

I've been wondering about this. Apparently I suit pastels like lavender and baby blue (based on a book I read), but I really, really don't. I like rich autumnal colours, and navy but they make me look ill. Any shade of pink or red- no. If I went for one of these consultations, they'd probably tell me I only suit black.

Piccolino2 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:59:29

I’d go for it. I went about 18 months ago and the difference is startling. I get so many compliments and now am much more selective with shopping. Had my style done in August so that’s taking some getting used to but I love it. Have a tiny wardrobe but what I do have now is quality. I love the things I have and starting to see how things mix and match without me just having single outfits. Worth every penny and then some. You’ll get loads of tips and tricks and my consultant is lovely, she does shopping events and things which are really nice too. I went with House of Colour.

Duchessofealing Tue 24-Oct-17 19:05:44

I can’t recommend Mandy from it’s my colour enough (Essex based - so worth the trip) -I had mine done a year ago and it was the best thing I have ever done. I had a private session and she wasn’t too expensive and has loads of stuff for you to try on to see how you look.

Mrscog Tue 24-Oct-17 19:10:33

I would also recommend a couple of hours with a personal shopper. You can have 2 hours with John Lewis for free and it's amazing. They are trained in style/what suits (although don't do the full on analysis). I went a few weeks ago and it was REVOLUTIONARY. It might be a better route if you want to start to put a wardrobe together. There was no pressure to buy and I didn't buy everything, but I've been able to get cheaper versions of a few things elsewhere (basic type stuff) which is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now