Talk

Advanced search

Hunters wellies ?

(53 Posts)
Bitsandbobsalot Sun 22-Oct-17 19:20:21

I’m thinking of buying myself a pair of hunters wellies. Are they worth the money ? Would you recommend them? If not what other would you recommend?
Thanks

Crumbs1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:23:04

Hunters are good. Last forever. I have Lakeland ones because I like flowers on mine so I can spot them quickly on the racks. Hunters look better but Lakeland have handles to get them on more easily.

mydrawstring Sun 22-Oct-17 19:24:10

If you want something which will keep your feet dry but also allow them to freeze, buy a pair of Hunters. Otherwise, I highly recommend a proper pair of boots such as Dublin River boots. I’ve had mine for years; they are waterproof, supportive and indestructible. And they keep my feet SO warm.

Hunters are just basic cheap wellies with a posh badge that everyone and their dog owns. Ubiquitous and crap...the most annoying combination.

QuilliamCakespeare Sun 22-Oct-17 19:25:50

I have some that I love. They're only a year old but still going strong. I think mine were from Office in a post Christmas sale but M&M Direct also have them at a discounted price.

Fosterdog123 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:26:48

Hunters are shit. Poor quality and freeze your feet numb.

anothernextsale Sun 22-Oct-17 19:26:54

Muck boots fit me much better, still as new and comfy after 3 years so far

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 19:27:36

Hunters used to be good. They don't have a good reputation anymore.

Fosterdog123 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:28:02

What do you want wellies for? Le Chameau are best for warmth, style and comfort and posing

elland Sun 22-Oct-17 19:35:13

My hunters aren’t the same as a standard pair of £10 wellies! They’re miles comfier and do keep my feet warm, they’ve also got a buckle at the back which is perfect for my chubby legs.

Mine were a present but I would happily pay for my own. Why don’t you go and try some on and see how they feel on your feet?

vilamoura2003 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:42:01

Hunters are not great quality and if you want them for trekking through mud, they won’t last 5 minutes and start leaking. I pay a little more than hunters for Aigles, they are insulated, temperature controlled and shock absorbing soles, i can wear them everyday and they last years.

Bitsandbobsalot Sun 22-Oct-17 19:43:00

I’m a cleaner and have to do a lot walking too clients places of business. It’s also a 30 min walk home and now because the weather is bad my feet have being cold and wet. I would also use them for walking my dogs etc. I love the walking. I’ve lost weight so I don’t want to start driving or using public transport. I just want nice, comfy and dry feet.

duckduckmouse Sun 22-Oct-17 19:44:16

Dubarry boots keep them warmer. I haven't used my hunters more then about 3 times.

FarmersDaughter84 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:47:04

Le Chameau are the best wellies. They are lined with neoprene. Expensive but what country-folk wear as they are worth the money and mine have been going strong for, what 5 years. Dubarrys are also fabulous but they aren’t ‘wellies’.

Crumbs1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:48:43

Bitsandbobsalot I have a pair of moonboots that I bought very cheaply before we went to Iceland- totally waterproof and very warm. Also very comfortable. Might be worth considering something like that.

schoolgaterebel Sun 22-Oct-17 19:49:15

My hunters lasted 4 years and I’m now into my second pair. I walk in fields and mud an hour a day.
Very comfy and the buckle great for my chunky calves.
Can’t say I’ve noticed my feet ever being cold, but I wear decent socks.
My DH had a pair of cheaper ‘dunlop’ wellies, they lasted a year before cracking up.
I think they’re worth the money, but have heard they used to be better.

LavenderHills Sun 22-Oct-17 19:49:56

Le Chameau are the best IMO. Super comfy to walk in and you can choose ones that are lined in neoprene, so they are literally the warmest boots known to womankind. They cost £££ but they come with a lifetime guarantee and they're so durable that you'll literally never need to buy another pair of wellies.

LoveProsecco Sun 22-Oct-17 19:51:28

Love mine and love the extra width smile

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:02

I want some Aigle Parcours.
Soooo comfy. But I already have some (3 pairs of) wellies! shock

MayFayner Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:39

I have a pair of Hunters and I agree that the allow your feet to freeze.

I used to wear them to festivals. Now I wear them for occasional gardening jobs <old>

I got a pair of waterproof ugg boots this year for doing the school run on foot. They are not traditional uggs- they're leather- but they are lined with sheepskin and very comfortable.

Fosterdog123 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:45

Agree with all that said about Le Ch BUT I wouldn't wear any kind of wellies for 30 mins regular walking. There's no real support and they can wreck your tendons/feet.

mumdebump Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:48

Hunters used to be good & last forever when they were made in Scotland. I have a 20 year old pair that are still going strong (heels now wearing down a bit though). When they moved production to China the quality became rubbish, no better than cheap wellies but they still kept the high price tag. The pairs we bought DD in more recent years lasted only a few months before the heels wore out and water leaks in. DH has some off the neoprene-lined super-expensive ones and the sole started to come away. Not worth the price tag IMHO.

TractorTedTed Sun 22-Oct-17 19:55:38

Hunters used to be brilliant. I have a pair that I've worn dai!y for YEARS. Still going strong.

I have heard though that the quality has gone downhill massively since they relocated their factory a few years ago.

Floralnomad Sun 22-Oct-17 19:58:55

If you are going to use them daily for muddy walks they will not last very long , they are made in China or somewhere now and the quality is no better than some much cheaper wellies. I have both Aigles , which have lasted for several years with daily use , and also Dublin River boots , which are the most comfortable boot ever IME .

WildCherryBlossom Sun 22-Oct-17 20:01:16

I have neoprene lined hunters. I got them a size up so that I can wear 2 pairs of socks when it gets very cold. Feet still get slightly cold in the depths of winter. I don’t think the quality is as good as it used to be either. Mine have blistered and faded as they live on a boot rack outside. My husband has Argyll wellies that are over 20 years old which haven’t been affected by living on a boot-rack outside.

For warmth & comfort on miserable winter days I often resort to a really ugly pair of walking shoes that I bought in the sales at Blacks about 15 years ago. My feet are always so happy in them. Generally only wear the Hunters in absolute downpours.

CatchIt Sun 22-Oct-17 20:31:05

In all honesty, it depends why you’re wearing them.

If you want a pair of wellies that look cool at a festival so you can walk through a shallow puddle, and you’ll only wear them for 10 mins once a fortnight, they’re great.

If you want a pair of wellies that will actually work with mud, and won’t crack, split or last less than 3 months, you need a pair of Aigle or Le Chameau wellies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now