Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Honest opinions about my hair colour (and how old I look btw)

(77 Posts)
PinkLipsDontLie Sun 22-Oct-17 13:57:51

My hair is naturally cool brown. Here it s dyed a tone lighter on top and the ends are balayaged blonder. I have very thin hair as you can see. My eyes are hazel, mostly olive green with a little light brown. I was ash blonde for many years but I am now a brunette as I missed it a lot. I just dont know what shade of brown to go for so that i dont look boring/frumpy. Should I go darker, lighter, or as is? Also one colour or balayage again? Please also post inspiration pics if you have any.
One last thing: inspired by the other thread, how old do I look? Absolutely no filters in the pic.

Ellapaella Sun 22-Oct-17 14:00:10

I would say mid 30’s. I would keep your hair that colour as it suits you but liven it up either with some highlights (I’d have maybe three different colours woven in) or a light caramel balayage. You would suit a bob to frame your face.

Ktown Sun 22-Oct-17 14:01:07

I like the balayage and I would even brighten the ends more.

I think a cool dark blonde or light brown suits you so a 6A colour?

You look young - early 30s.

formerbabe Sun 22-Oct-17 14:02:55

You look the same age as me so mid thirties I reckon. I like your hair...I think keep the length and get a sweeping, side fringe.

BuzzKillington Sun 22-Oct-17 14:03:11

I would say you need to add depth with colour - I would get some really good caramel tones put in.

I reckon you're early 40s.

PinkLipsDontLie Sun 22-Oct-17 14:04:19

@Ellapaella you mean a shorter Bob? I am a bit afraid of caramel as I have cool tones and it's a warm shade. Three colours sound good I mean at least it will not be flat. Thank you!

PinkLipsDontLie Sun 22-Oct-17 14:06:29

@Known I will note hour suggestion and discuss with my hairdresser. Why do tou akl say caramel?? Am I not visibly cool toned?

PinkLipsDontLie Sun 22-Oct-17 14:06:55

*Why do you all say

Theconifers25 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:10:31

I'm going to say 38 yrs old.
I think all over caramel colour hair in a long wavy bob would look ace on you.

LilyPondFrog Sun 22-Oct-17 14:10:54

You look lovely. I would say you're early-mid 30s.

I think that you need to go for a meduim brown colour. I think it's too light at the moment and almost makes you look slighly grey on the photo.

I think a medium brown would disguise your thin hair more x

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 22-Oct-17 14:15:19

I'd go a bit darker.

Theconifers25 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:15:43

I'm thinking this colour, though not the style

www.google.co.uk/search?q=mary+olsen+copper+hair&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUqv7Fp4TXAhWBPRoKHXPwBGsQ_AUIEigB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=gpj2bPqnhfgKqM:

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 22-Oct-17 14:16:10

And I reckon you're early 40s with lovely skin.

burntoutmum Sun 22-Oct-17 14:17:35

I think you’re similar age to me ( I’m 37)

JesusTapdancingChrist Sun 22-Oct-17 14:18:09

I'd go darker, something rich and more brunette. The current colour washes you out imho. And I'd get a fringe.

You are really pretty and I'd guess 36-37 for your age.

SportyBobster Sun 22-Oct-17 14:19:58

I would say you're in your 40s. I agree that a richer colour would look nice but not too dark smile

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 22-Oct-17 14:20:36

Late 30s my guess.

Seriously - cant even see any balayage and actually think it only works on wavy or curly hair.

Personally I think a touch of chestnut brown would look nice.

PuppyMonkey Sun 22-Oct-17 14:22:45

The ends of your hair looked dried out imho, bleach?

I'd go darker and shorter all over if I looked like you.

I think you look mid 30s.

RebeccaWrongDaily Sun 22-Oct-17 14:23:17

i'd say you were early 40's. I think you need to warm your hair up a bit.

Dustbunny1900 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:24:53

I'd say around late 30s-40. You're gorgeous!!
I'd go just a BIT darker. And cooler.

Flisspaps Sun 22-Oct-17 14:36:28

I’d go darker. I think you’re a little older than me so 38-42

Summerswallow Sun 22-Oct-17 14:37:34

I don't know what age you are, but you are very pretty. Agree you need a colour that thickens the look up, even perhaps trim the ends.

Summerswallow Sun 22-Oct-17 14:38:37

In 40's is a bit harsh, I have lots of friends in their 40's (admittedly late forties) and not many look this young with good skin.

JanetStWalker Sun 22-Oct-17 14:38:59

Hair is a tad mousy, some richer tones would be nice, lowlights maybe.

I'm rubbish at judging age but I'll put you around 37.

PinkLipsDontLie Sun 22-Oct-17 14:45:01

@Dustbunny1900 thanks so much! This is one option I consider, to go darker. I just dont know how to take away the flatness of a dark block colour.

@PuppyMonkey yup correct that's bleach from my blonde years. One more vote for dark then.

@Allthebestnamesareused it's what remains of a balayage I think. I am utterly confused hairwise.

@JesusTapdancingChrist thank you! I had a nugging suspicion that it's washing me out.

To all those who think I should go darker, could you post pic of said darker colour?
Btw link with Mary Kate Olsen hair really nice but for warm complexions. I am a cool winter (self-diagnosed, feel free to argue).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: