Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Has anyone else had allergy symptoms after brushing teeth?

(28 Posts)
glitterysand Sun 22-Oct-17 12:53:25

Hi I like to use whitening toothpastes and last night used Oral B 3D white in vitalising fresh. It made my lips feel sore in the corners and then my lips went really swollen and felt uncomfortable. Lately I keep getting sore patches on my tongue and have geographic tongue that won't go away so I'm thinking now that this could be caused by the toothpastes I've been using.
I wondered if anyone else has had a problem like this?
If anyone had, is there a whitening toothpaste that is mild and doesn't affect your mouth.

Itsanicehotel Sun 22-Oct-17 14:25:57

Yes me. Any toothpaste other than one type of sensodine makes my lips peel and feel sore. I’d love to find a whitening one that didn’t cause lip probs but to date I haven’t. It took me ages to work out what was causing the problem. Thought it was lipstick or glosses or balms ( though some of those do cause problems) but had had years of it before I got round to toothpastes. Sorry I’m no help re the whitening ones sad

Tatiebee Sun 22-Oct-17 14:30:12

Yes I react to any toothpaste containing SLS (reactions would lead to perioral dermatitis) so now I only use Sensodyne.

Tatiebee Sun 22-Oct-17 14:30:54

Oh and for whitening i use crest strips.

slightlycross Sun 22-Oct-17 14:36:53

Yes me, I can only use sensodyne now.. there's a gentle whitening one I think. It's the SLS I react to as well..

iknowimcoming Sun 22-Oct-17 14:40:57

My dh had an allergic reaction to the oral b 3D white luxe one - never reacted to toothpaste before or since and we use all different toothpastes normally. Went away within 2 days of stopping use though thankfully.

glitterysand Sun 22-Oct-17 17:20:23

Phew thanks I’m glad it’s not just me then. Will give sensodyne a try, or something similar.

jalopy Sun 22-Oct-17 19:01:15

Yes. I get a reaction from Oral B. The lining of my mouth sheds when I use it.

Mamamagellanic Sun 22-Oct-17 19:03:56

Yes, I’m having these symptoms! I use Colgate pro-namel. I think I need to change but have very sensitive teeth. Will sensodine work as well as pro-n does?

I have perioral dermatitis but can’t take the antibiotics to cure it, any other remedies?

mintmagnummm Sun 22-Oct-17 19:09:40

Yes me too!' I get peeling lips and peeling all inside my gums and sore lips. I'm fine with the oral b sensitive whitening one though (blue box with pink)

keepingbees Sun 22-Oct-17 19:17:29

I get the peeling too, and that oral B stuff was one of the culprits. I was always ok with Colgate but I'm finding it happening with some of those too. Going to try sensodyne now

mintmagnummm Sun 22-Oct-17 20:11:31

Is there a particular sensodyne that's the best?

Tatiebee Sun 22-Oct-17 22:02:14

I think all of the Sensodyne toothpastes are SLS free so they should all be fine, just double check the ingredients before you buy.

For the Pp who asked about perioral dermatitis my advice would be to strip back your skincare routine as much as possible, I found that using a hot cloth cleanser followed by almond oil mixed with a drop of lavender oil worked for me. Avoiding SLS was the biggest help though so no foaming cleansers and make sure you keep shampoo suds away from your face when showering.

Mamamagellanic Sun 22-Oct-17 23:52:31

Thanks tatie. I’ll check all ingredients. Does it take long to settle without antibiotics?

AdiosPieceOfToast Sun 22-Oct-17 23:59:46

Yes, me too. Skin inside mouth sheds in strips. It’s any toothpaste with stannous fluoride for me, Oral B being one.

I can use Colgate Total without issue.

chocolatespiders Mon 23-Oct-17 07:13:48

Tatie- where do you buy them from?
Thanks

glitterysand Mon 23-Oct-17 08:35:21

Sorry being dum what’s SLS? Oh I’ve had the skin peeling thing before too - thought that was just me too!!

Silverstreaks Mon 23-Oct-17 08:59:48

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or
Sodium Lauruth Sulphate
It's the foaming agent in most shampoos and toothpastes.
Its a known irritant.

Tatiebee Mon 23-Oct-17 14:35:29

I've bought the teeth whitening strips from caliwhite but recently got some cheaper ones from Amazon which have given good results too.

Tatiebee Mon 23-Oct-17 14:36:29

I can't post the link but they're called Swiftwhite teeth whitening strips.

glitterysand Mon 23-Oct-17 15:51:15

Thanks @Silverstreaks

mintmagnummm Mon 23-Oct-17 16:41:17

I bought the sensodyne daily care extra fresh toothpaste today but I really hate the taste! It's a bit bitter to me confused are there any sensodyne that have a pleasant taste?? Don't want to keep wasting ££

glitterysand Mon 23-Oct-17 19:10:26

I’ve just bought sensodyne pronamel gentle whitening. I actually wonder also if I use too much - I usually cover my toothbrush with toothpaste then add a bit extra !! Will try the new one tonight - fingers crossed it will be ok. I’ll update tomorrow.

glitterysand Tue 24-Oct-17 15:26:55

Well the Sensodyne pronamel feels really gentle and 'neutral' when I used it. I'll be interested as to whether my tongue goes back to normal after using it for a while. I hope so.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 24-Oct-17 16:20:32

I’ve been usingKingfisher natural toothpaste since someone told me about perioral dermatitis quite recently.

Strangely, although having eczema/skin issues all my life, I’d never been told about this. I’m not sure if I do have it but I thought it was worth trying a non-SLS toothpaste and I quite like the fennel taste! Other flavours available smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: