Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How do I achieve this look without aging myself?

(13 Posts)
PaperdollCartoon Sun 22-Oct-17 01:23:00

I've always gravitated towards a style that's generally considered older than myself (29)
Lately I just really love the look my artist godmother (55ish?) is wearing. Lots of layers in similar colours (navy, grey, allthe same shades at the same time), amazing knitwear, drapey scarves, statement jewellery. She's at least a size 18 to my 12, but she's always looks so amazingly put together and stylish.

I asked her tonight where her cardigan I loved was from, apparently it's Eskandar - which all looks amazing but is so wildly out of my price range I can't even process.

How do I put together this kind of arty, layered, super cool look, without aging myself? Not that I mind looking older, but I want to look stylish and casual rather than old!

ShiftyMcGifty Sun 22-Oct-17 01:28:30

Cos?

I took a look at Eskander and I'm sorry, but those clothes scream Judy Dench at me. Maybe (like Cos) they look shite on the website on purpose and look amazing on.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 22-Oct-17 01:35:13

Yes Cos is probably a good place to start. Judy Dench isn't a bad look as far as I'm concerned, but yes I think Eskandar is better on. Always looks arty and cool rather than cosy....it seems an impossible level of balance

PaperdollCartoon Sun 22-Oct-17 01:41:47

On reflection, maybe Judy Dench, but aged 30, is probably the look I'm going for. That's probably impossible.

ShiftyMcGifty Sun 22-Oct-17 01:42:16

Try Oska for that sort of look. Still expensive but in 100s not 1000s. Eileen Fisher is pricier but looks better (in my opinion). I think Fenwicks carries both and their January sales often have things at half price.

ShiftyMcGifty Sun 22-Oct-17 01:47:55

Cross posted. Yeah, I didn't mean Judy when she was young. There's a place in London that sells similar type of layered clothes but theirs tend to look like Mrs Roper's mumus and they've got Judy's photo in one of their outfits in the shop window. Found it - Hampstead bazaar

I'm afraid I can never look at Judy the same again.

Want2beme Sun 22-Oct-17 08:21:01

I love Mathildes Verden's style. I think this might be her daughter. Anyway, it's a younger version of her. It's all I can find, but it might be close to the look you're after?

mathildesverdenas.blogspot.ie/2016/07/kjlige-sommerkvelder.html?m=1

MargotLovedTom1 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:26:07

Which one of those women is Judi Dench? The photo goes blurry when I enlarge it, and all I see is lots of bubble perms on the same(?) woman?

Sorry, no help with your question OP!

Dancinggoat Sun 22-Oct-17 08:36:19

I read an article about styling yourself and one of the don’t dos was , don’t try to dress like someone else. Their style won’t suit you as you will be different shapes , skin and hair colour.
You need to find a style that suits you rather trying to replicate someone else’s clothes.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 22-Oct-17 10:42:54

True. Maybe I'll never be naturally layered and drapey smile but we all take inspiration from others.
Are there any younger people who dress in an arty layered style that I could look at for inspiration?

Dustbunny1900 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:34:13

Like boho ?

jalopy Sun 22-Oct-17 19:21:31

Masai is sort of similar.

NC4now Sun 22-Oct-17 19:29:15

The key to an arty boho look is accessories. Lots of bangles, dangly earrings, scarves, necklaces etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: