Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Halloween costume ideas

(47 Posts)
tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 19:09:31

Anyone want to share what their DC are dressing up as for Halloween?

Desperately need ideas!
( Didn’t know what topic to post under )

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 20:08:31

If anyone also has suggestions for dogs too!

pinkmagic1 Sat 21-Oct-17 20:09:59

Clowns!

nothanksbyenow Sat 21-Oct-17 20:13:27

I recently saw a doggy ‘spider’ costume, in the pet section of a garden centre!
My dd dressed as a ‘bad fairy’ (green tutu, hallowe’en tights from Tesco and spider web eyes done with eye liner).

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 20:17:07

@pinkmagic1

Good idea! My two youngest are absolutely terrified of clowns though!

@nothanksbyenow

Thats cute! We really want to get the dogs costumes this year too. I think my DD's are going to go down a similar route (as they want to be 'girly') and the spider web eyes is a really good idea!

teaortequila23 Sat 21-Oct-17 20:17:20

My DD wants to be a spider fuck knows how I’m going to do it as I can’t find a outfit that isn’t for dogs anywhere.
Might just dress her as a witch and paint a spider web on her face. Fingers crossed we don’t have a melt down 😂

hazeyjane Sat 21-Oct-17 20:18:35

This year they are Holzmann, Gilbert and Slimer from Ghostbusters

Last year they were Day of the Dead style doll, crazy cat lady and a werewolf.

MerlinsScarf Sat 21-Oct-17 20:28:00

Teaortequila I remember an old costume idea (90s?) for a spider! I believe black tights stuffed with something or other were involved. Not sure if that's helpful or not?!

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 20:28:01

@teaortequila23

Oh no! Kind of glad my DC are making my chose then actually!
My DD wore this cape last year when she had to go to an insect themed fancy dress party? (God knows)

Spider cape

Spider's is a good idea for our dogs though, theres hundreds of spider costumes for dogs!

@hazeyjane

Really creative idea! DD likes the sound of the Day of the dead doll.

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 20:34:47

@MerlinsScarf

Yes, that a good idea!

Like this

I remember making one of those for my eldest when she was a todler (it was rubbish though)

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sat 21-Oct-17 20:36:28

DD's going as Hermione Granger, DS2's going as a pirate skeleton.

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 21:06:24

@CountDuckulaTheSqueaky

I like the Hermione Granger idea!

anyoldname76 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:09:07

my ds's are going to be a skeleton and the grim reaper, no creative talent here, i got the costumes from home bargains

Dustbunny1900 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:10:31

It's DS2's first Halloween, and he's going as the stay pufft marshmallow man from ghost busters. It was a toss up between Toby from the labyrinth (which would necessitate a Sarah costume for me of course wink), chucky, and marshmallow fella.

DS1 is going as this creepy werefox (kinda like a werewolf?) haha. Last year he was a mad scientist.

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 21:15:21

@anyoldname76

I like to pretend I have 'creative talent' but I dont and will probably just end up doing the same last minute! My 4 year old wants to be a skeleton though and he has suggested we should tape dog bones to him!?

tempstamos Sat 21-Oct-17 21:19:06

@Dustbunny1900

Aw, That is so cute! I normally do my DC as a pumkins for their first halloween. I like the idea of family costumes (though I dont think my older ones would be that happy) and Werewolf/Werefox is a good idea for staying warm with all the fur!

tararabumdeay Sat 21-Oct-17 21:30:52

Google 'grim granny' (the one with the baby). It just so happened that I had all the ingredients one year. My son still talks about it ten years later.

melmo26 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:31:09

I have made two of my four DDs costumes this year, I very recently took up sewing so wanted to give it a try.
Dd1 I made a tulle witch costume with a shoulder cape
Dd2 is going as the angel of death, I cut out bone shapes and sewed them onto black legging a long sleeve t-shirt,and a full length cape with hood
Dd3 has a witch costume from Tesco but I made her a belly length cape
Dd4 is going as a spider, it was bought from Sainsbury’s about 4 years ago for dd2 but it’s the first year she wants to dress up and thinks the extra arms are hilarious, she is 4

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sat 21-Oct-17 21:39:15

tempstamos she's obsessed with Harry Potter at the moment!

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sat 21-Oct-17 21:43:32

Hermione Granger is a Harry Potter costume from Sainsbury's, without the glasses, with her school uniform on underneath, minus the jumper (wrong colour).

butterfly990 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:52:45

We all dressed up as Minions one year and my partner was El Macho. I was an evil french maid purple minion and the kids were minions as well.

NC4now Sat 21-Oct-17 23:05:15

Never mind the kids.... what are WE dressing up as? I need a cool, cheap costume for a house party on Saturday...

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 11:50:43

@tararabumdeay

Haha!

@melmo26

Aw, that is so amazing. I wish a could have the skills to make mine costumes (I may still try!) DD definately likes the sound of the tulle witch costume with shoulder cape.

@CountDuckulaTheSqueaky

My DC loved Harry Potter last year too!

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 15:15:45

@butterfly990

Aw, minions is a cute ideas!

@NC4now

Oh yeah, that is another stress!
I usually go red dress, red lips and red horns (devil) because I cant be bothered. But I stupidly bought a black and white spotty fur coat last year which just cant be worn as everyday so I may try and do cruella de vil.

shockedballoon Sun 22-Oct-17 15:20:47

Dobby the house elf - because that's what he was for last world book day and as I actually made it, he's flipping getting wear out if it grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: