Talk

Advanced search

Do you use a different shade of foundation summer and winter?

(21 Posts)
Nameless21 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:38:27

Just wondering! I don't but a comment by assistant at make-up counter got me thinking.

Cheeseontoes Sat 21-Oct-17 11:42:40

Yes I do and I mix the two for the transitional periods between slightly tanned to ghostly white thlgrin

My summer foundation is thin and lighter on the skin whereas my winter foundation is thicker, more full coverage.

vitaminC Sat 21-Oct-17 11:45:22

^^ What Cheese said. Except for the ghostly white bit. I go from yellow to orange.

Crocky Sat 21-Oct-17 11:46:16

I do, and mix them for the in between.

Nameless21 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:47:04

I think I'm seeking a reason for a visit to the make-up counters and my foundation is almost empty ... very enabling ladies!!

chajazam Sat 21-Oct-17 11:50:28

Used to but now used liquid bronzer/illuminator to change the shade as needed as I tan very easily. Currently have one from Estee Edit but I think the range has been discontinued.

holdthewine Sat 21-Oct-17 13:10:31

I’m the same as Cheeseontoes so I’m in a mixing phase at the moment for autumn.

headintheproverbial Sat 21-Oct-17 13:22:28

Yes. I tan quite easily so my winter colour looks all wrong in summer!

oldlaundbooth Sat 21-Oct-17 13:23:48

Yes, paler in winter.

GreyOwls Sat 21-Oct-17 13:26:18

Yes always. Pale and creamy in winter but golden in summer. I also wear a thicker foundation in winter and a waterbased foundation in summer as i have oily skin. I also do the mixing in between seasons. I love MAC face&body in summer and Boursior gel in winter.

BeastOfCraggyIsland Sat 21-Oct-17 13:26:34

Yes, in summer I use a light tinted moisturiser as I usually get a pretty good natural colour; I've had a Bare Minerals one this year. In winter I change to a light foundation - I bought Bobbi Brown 'Skin' foundation and bronzing powder the other day in readiness for the changeover!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 21-Oct-17 13:27:15

Yes, because I want my face to vaguely match the rest of my skin colour & I don't use fake tan grin.

So a couple of shades darker in summer - and I do the mix during transitional periods too.

BusterGonad Sat 21-Oct-17 13:29:26

I've only ever done this after taking holidays abroad! I currently have a foundation which is a bit darker than my usual shade and I do like it, luckily for me I'm very freckled so even if I wore it throughout the winter I don't think it would look silly!

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 21-Oct-17 14:09:48

Not so much because of colour, because my face pretty much stays the same other than a few freckles, but I tend to wear tinted moisturiser more in summer.

Ollivander84 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:21:56

No, I'm pale blue/white all year grin and wear SPF 50 on my face as well

Bewiser Sat 21-Oct-17 14:22:59

No, I have fair skin that doesn't tan. I was told I should change it when I was a teenager so I did but then it just meant having the wrong orange shade of foundation all summer. blush

JaceLancs Sat 21-Oct-17 14:26:23

I used to - but then I gave up foundation altogether and now I only wear a bit of tinted moisturiser for special occasions

Branleuse Sat 21-Oct-17 14:42:44

Yes, usually a shade or two lighter in the winter when i lose my tan

WhatIsGoingOnNow Sat 21-Oct-17 14:51:30

If you are using the same foundation in winter/summer but need a different shade then I would just buy the lighter one and buy a dark colour adjuster.
Body shop and Nyx do one off the top of my head
If you are using different formulas altogether e.g. a sheerer base in summer and a fuller coverage in winter then obviously you would need two

Nameless21 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:36:28

Interesting reading - it had never occurred to me to do so. Anyway it turns out I wear the palest foundation anyway but g it a lovely makeover and, whilst my wallet is sonewgat lighter, I've come away with a host of new products and a new approach. Going to have to have a trial run or three on my eyes!

PollyPerky Sat 21-Oct-17 16:50:19

No. never. why would you? I use spf 40 every day of the year so my face is the same pasty white all year round.

If you face is getting tanned then you are getting sun damage= wrinkles= sagging = age spots in 10 - 30 years' time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now