Talk

Advanced search

Red lipstick

(9 Posts)
thisgirlrides Sat 21-Oct-17 10:53:48

I've never really worn any lipstick just gloss, but I always envy women who rock red lips and would love to try it.

Would I suddenly look ridiculous going from bare lips to full on red? how on earth do you find the right shade? Do you need to be 'made-up' to wear red lippy or can you get away with light daytime makeup (mascara, blusher & Vaseline for lips & eyebrows are my daily staples!) ?

magpiemischief Sat 21-Oct-17 10:57:36

You could get a highly pigmented waxy red and just dab a bit on your lips and put then lip balm over the top. This gives a sheer look which you can alter from bold to very subtle depending on your preference.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 21-Oct-17 11:03:20

I find red lipstick is best with a face as bare of other makeup as you can get away with. Except a good base, you need even skin for that.I do TM, eye pencil and a touch of light bronzer, not even mascara.

You won't look ridiculous with a sheer red. Try Nars Gypsy or some of the BB lip products. Their new lipstick has a very easy feel or else their pencils, they blot down to nothing.

Right shade is a bit of a trial and error. You will inevitably get recommended Ruby Woo as a shade what's universally flattering. It's not. Won't hurt to try it, but it's very demanding and has a difficult to wear texture.

Try Nars, Bobbi Brown and Chanel for the best reds. Dior have some lovely stains, I haven't personally tried them, but it might be a good idea to try there as well.

Don't buy immediately, spend some time with it before you buy.

What's your colouring?

thisgirlrides Sat 21-Oct-17 11:08:36

Not sure what you'd call my colouring but hair is dark brown with slight red/chestnut undertones, eyes blue/green, white skin but not particularly pale, slight tan from summer / outdoor sports.
I like the idea of a stain rather than full on gloss lips - sounds like a trip to the local department store is in order!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 21-Oct-17 11:11:50

Gypsy would be good for you. Give it a try, but also try a few more.

You can blot down pretty much every lipstick you like, so of you find a shade you like stick with it.

Good luck hunting.

magpiemischief Sat 21-Oct-17 11:15:24

This YouTube clip shows how subtle red lips can be:

http://youtu.be/Uc5mSg8JaJA

YouWereRight Sat 21-Oct-17 11:23:08

I used to use bene-tint with a gloss or lipbalm over when I was a teen.

There are some decent cheap red lip sticks out there. MUA do a brilliant one, and primarks matte lip pencils are decent too.

In this towards the end Lisa Eldridge turns a red lip into more of a stain.

magpiemischief Sat 21-Oct-17 11:27:57

Sorry, just noticed it’s not quite a red lipstick but the point is the woman dabs in on to get a subtle colour (more subtle than it looks from the bullet).

Ohyesiam Sat 21-Oct-17 11:35:33

Minimal make up looks great with red lips. I put mine on with a fingertip, press the color in. That way you get red, but less full on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now