Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Talk to me about leggings…

(33 Posts)
Dozyoldtwonk Fri 20-Oct-17 23:05:14

Are they really THAT bad? Having two pregnancies in two years has made them very much my friend. I just love the slouchiness of them, and dressing them up with a nice big knit or whatever. Now the weather has dropped, I’ve been wearing jeans for the last week or so & they just don’t do it for me; I feel so uncomfortable in them. I’ve got two young DC so need to wear practical, sensible stuff with hopefully a bit of style thrown in. I do like a dress & tights combo, usually with Chelsea boots but for the days that I can’t even be assed for that…providing my arse is covered by my top (the biggest faux pas of leggings outside the gym IMO is showing ones behind), are thick(ish) black leggings with a long t-shirt/knit/thin jumper ok? Or, what alternatives can I consider? Help me oh stylish ones!

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 20-Oct-17 23:11:07

Well someone once said to me 'there's 2 things in life that tell the truth - drunk people and leggings'

Made me 😀 and I suppose they're right. I like em though and have just started a thread about velvet ones for Xmas. I need advice if they're a fashion faux pas. Sorry no use am I? smile

HMC2000 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:13:55

I think they're fine with a really long top and boots. Not that different to skinny jeans, as long as the top comes down far enough.

MaisyPops Fri 20-Oct-17 23:14:26

I love them.

There are some leggings no nos:
- thin leggings
- visible pants (squat test exists for a reason)
- camel toe
- leggings worn as trousers with a non-long top (not saying 'short' because i mean anytging other than topa that cover the crotch)

I live in leggings but work on the view that they go under longer tops. No pants area should be on show.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:20:22

I wear leggings under short dresses tbh or when it is cold under a skirt like tights. I dont like them with shoes on me but do wear them with trainers. I don't tend to wear them with 'tunics' like they were worn a while back and done to death simply because its a tired look. I think they are a basic and look good with a short dress and ankle boots. I think sticking to neutrals like black, charcoal, navy is probably the best.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:21:04

and i never wear them as trousers. God no...

neveradullmoment99 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:23:08

I think wearing them with a long jumper dress and ankle boots looks good. I also think coated black leggings look good with a lovely long loose silk blouse.

junebirthdaygirl Fri 20-Oct-17 23:37:50

Danger of living in leggings is they are too forgiving. Jeans have a way of reminding us that we better start moving a bit and watch the cake.

geologyrocks Fri 20-Oct-17 23:49:14

Where do you ladies get your leggings? I bought some from primark, new look and an irish shop dunnes and they are all terrible. My tops are longish but on the bend over test they are still see thorough

Dozyoldtwonk Fri 20-Oct-17 23:52:16

Maisy I concur.

*Good point june. Particularly so around the festive period shock

geology I swear by H&M black leggings, the ones always on 3 for 2. Quite thick and really good quality for the price, wash well.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Fri 20-Oct-17 23:58:31

I think leggings are fine if you wear them as tights instead of as trousers. Even long jumper can be really dodgy, I have some colleagues who wear them and if they bend down you can see usually see their arse and knickers. Nothin innately wrong with that but it's not a very professional look.

BonkToTheFinish Sat 21-Oct-17 00:09:30

I wear my leggings with basic short sleeved tops, so I suppose I do wear them as trousers/jeans blush

In saying that, I’m an athletic build so thought that was okay?

bingohandjob Sat 21-Oct-17 07:37:11

I love my Boden leggings - as someone said, I wear them in place of tights, so if I wouldn't wear the top half with tights,I probably wouldn't want to wear it with leggings. Also, I find it cooler and more comfortable to wear leggings in the summer under a dress if walking about a lot so I don't get cough CLAMMY.

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 21-Oct-17 07:42:57

H and M and Uniqlo are the best leggings. If you're wearing them as trousers then they better be running leggings instead of cotton ones. I guess my style could be described as 'sport goth' so I do wear lots of leggings. V useful if all your tights are in the wash too! I always wear a long top, oversized shirt or a tunic over them.

MagicFajita Sat 21-Oct-17 07:49:34

I think leggings are fine for the same reasons as pps. Make sure they are thick , wear a long top/jumper and don't use them as traditional trousers.

They are a huge part of my work "uniform" as I work with small children and need cheap and convenient clothing.

I like the river island high-waisted ones. They last ages and are very warm.

Caulk Sat 21-Oct-17 07:55:12

I feel that leggings are a bit size dependant. Totally okay if you have legs like bambi but not always great on someone normal sized.

If they’re being worn instead of tights, why not wear tights?

IHeartDodo Sat 21-Oct-17 08:13:55

Personally I hate the "feet" of tights... Get all sweaty and need washing after every wear. Also I have very long legs so they're often too short.
When I see a girl in a top and leggings I usually wonder if she forgot her skirt!
I generally wear them with calf-length boots, dresses and cardis.

Appuskidu Sat 21-Oct-17 08:16:48

Wearing leggings as an alternative to tights is fine. Any other use for them generally looks pretty awful!

blueberrygoose Sat 21-Oct-17 08:21:20

I got some really nice thick leggings in Tesco for about £12, they have a wide waistband too. Think they are the best ones I’ve ever had.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sat 21-Oct-17 08:24:01

there's 2 things in life that tell the truth - drunk people and leggings'

This needs to be put on a shabby chic sign.😅😂

Primark and new look do fleece lined ones in the winter and I love them.

Jaimx86 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:28:42

I really like the coated leggings (jeggings?) that are everywhere this season. I like the sound of the velvet ones too.

For regular leggings, I find River Island good for the price.

Sparkletastic Sat 21-Oct-17 09:49:01

Hate tights - feel yuck, often too short in the leg / long in the body, prone to laddering, a bugger to wash etc. I tend to wear leggings instead, generally with a short dress and knee boots. M&S, Next and H&M are all good for basic jersey leggings.

donajimena Sat 21-Oct-17 09:55:40

I bought these. They are called leggings but they are thick with a seam and can be worn as trousers. I'm guessing they would be treggings?

BonkToTheFinish Sat 21-Oct-17 10:09:54

donaj I have a pair of those! Be careful, they colour fade very easily and mine ended up with as an extremely dark purplish instead of black after two washes or so shock

donajimena Sat 21-Oct-17 14:21:09

Oh no I'll keep an eye on them! sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: