Talk

Advanced search

Small windfall WWYB

(11 Posts)
MinnieMinchkin Fri 20-Oct-17 21:26:48

I got a nice surprise today: HMRC told me they want to give me back some overpaid tax, which I should get next week. Most of it is going to be put to good use, but I'm thinking of splurging £100 on something tangible for me.

I'm a 40-something dodgy old rock chick, self-employed / freelance homeworker so don't need formal workwear and don't have occasions to buy outfits for.

Any suggestions? What would you buy?

Deecee1012 Sat 21-Oct-17 00:03:14

I think I'd opt for a piece of jewellery...and yes, I'm a slightly older dodgy rock chick!!

I do like a good silver bracelet...maybe something engraved?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 00:03:51

Any idea where to get the bracelet from, Deecee?

EdinaMonsoon Sat 21-Oct-17 00:09:47

Definitely a piece of jewellery. I've only ever bought myself cheapie bits from Topshop etc but earlier this year I treated myself to an aquamarine cocktail ring that I had been lusting after for years (regularly featured <<and ignored>> on my Christmas list hmm. I have worn it almost every day since and it gives me so much pleasure - probably more so because I bought it for myself.

WRT to finding something unusual/rock chick-esque, try Etsy. You're bound to find something unique and you may even be able to get something custom made (sellers state whether they offer custom designs in addition to their regular stock).

ZaraW Sat 21-Oct-17 05:15:47

I really like Hairy Growler recycled silver jewellery. They have some amazing designs.

ElspethFlashman Sat 21-Oct-17 07:50:04

Silver jewellery definitely. I'm currently in an Alan Ardiff phase cos he has jewellery with moving parts which is so cool. But you could get a heck of a big piece from Newbridge Silver for that. Even two pieces!

MinnieMinchkin Sat 21-Oct-17 09:00:41

Thanks for the jewellery suggestions. I love the Hairy Growler site, Zara, although there is often a stall in our local craft market with similar style of designs. Will pop out if I get a chance later grin

Pangur2 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:53:04

If I had a windfall and wanted some slightly rock chick-esque alternative jewellery, I'd get one of these pigeon feet rings. www.tessametcalfejewellery.co.uk
I really really want one of these!

Deecee1012 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:14:26

Merci Maman have gorgeous flat bangles that can be engraved...love them!

Ttbb Sun 22-Oct-17 20:16:07

Lovely warm pair off Ugg boots (whatever brand) just in time for those long winter nights. You'll never be able to go back to normal slippers.

MinnieMinchkin Sun 22-Oct-17 20:26:49

The pigeon feet are interesting and I can see their appeal, but not me somehow smile

I have knee length ugg boots for outdoor use, which I love to wear although I'm still coming to terms with the aesthetics. I have Birkenstock slippers which I stick a fleecy lining in for the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now