Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Uggs for first timer

(51 Posts)
ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 20:56:57

Never bought them before but in early forties I'm now thinking the comfort and warmth is what I need.
Was thinking if classic shirt or tall in chocolate brown. Has anyone got any recommendations and where is best to buy then from.
Apologies, I'm sure this has been done over and over.

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:20

Short not shirt!

MyBeloved Fri 20-Oct-17 20:59:00

I've got tall in grey and I love them. Look great with jeans/leggings/short skirt & thick tights.

So cosy and warm. I wear them without socks smile

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:00:54

Oh I like the idea if grey. That's what I'd wear them with. Just wondered if the tall got too warm, but then think short may look a bit odd on me. I am fairly tall so they may not look in proportion!

Ttbb Fri 20-Oct-17 21:01:14

Right, so the 'classic' one are actually slippers (I'm Australian so trust me) but they have lots of outdoor shoes as well. What about these:

LittleWitch Fri 20-Oct-17 21:01:23

I bought my first pair last winter, I think they’re classic short. They’re black. They are nice to wear, but I didn’t realise you’re not supposed to wear them outdoors as you see people in them in the street all the time. They’re not weatherproof in any way, so you can only wear them outdoors when it is very dry, which is rare grin . Lovely as slippers though.

thegoodnameshadgone Fri 20-Oct-17 21:10:55

I bought a short black pair first then a year later a chestnut shirt pair. Favourite footwear. I know they are pricey but I love them. I also recommend sketchers memory foam style uggs. Slightly less thick but just as comfy and a lot cheaper. Costco do really really good value ones too

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:11:21

Ok. So many people walking about in slippers then! They describe waterproofing and sole as if they are to be worn outside.
Ttbb I do like their other boots but the thought if my feet in some sort of portable blanket appeals!

LittleWitch Fri 20-Oct-17 21:13:30

They do talk about waterproofing and outdoor sole, but they’re not waterproof in any way shape or form! I don’t know why they say that actually.

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:16:00

Okay? Hmmm not sure now. So do you wear yours just as slippers littlewitch?

browndollXo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:17:42

I got the chestnut pair that was coated in something not sure brought like two year ago they not the original material they traditionally use but they are weather proof and have lasted me a long time then I have the bailey bows in black but don't wear as much as don't want to ruin them they Defo aren't weather water proof lol x I wear mine out in the winter quiet a lot as keep your feet very warm regardless if they "are slippers"hmm haha hope you find a pair you like x

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:18:59

Thank you browndoll smile

chewiecat Fri 20-Oct-17 21:43:30

I'm following as well as it's on my Christmas list this year!
I read that the new classic ii has a water resistant treatment on them that makes them better in the rain and snow but would be keen to know if it's true??

Santawontbelong Fri 20-Oct-17 21:45:52

Would like to clarify they aren't ddog proof either. Ddog always likes to greet visitors carrying a shoe thieved from shoe basket - put a big tooth through the sole and they leaked badly!!

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:46:10

Which colour and length are you thinking chewie?

ouchmyfanjo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:52:56

Oh no Santa! If I do get some be sure to keep them out of reach.

Ttbb Fri 20-Oct-17 23:11:03

So to clear a few things up:
Yes you can waterproof them, just like any shoes with a suede finish or you can buy ugg boots (not sure if they're ugg brand though) that are already treated (typically stocked in snow n surf shops). Even if you wear them as slippers it's not a bad idea to treat them if you don't mind the change in appearance. But it won't really change how long they will last. While they are very good for your feet they are worn very little in Australia for obvious reasons (short winters and they aren't really allowed outside the house) so they won't last very long either way. The longest I have had a pair last (ugg brand) was two years (only worn in doors). They are also susceptible to tears (I actually once wore a hole through the top the way you would a sock) so you shouldn't do things like ride bikes in them if you want them to last.

Which brings me onto my next point that, while the vast majority of the Australian population uses them as slippers there are a few circumstances under which they are worn outside for short periods of time (and hence have such thick soles):
1. When you go to the snow (I.e. Skiing);
2. When you sit an exam;
3. When you are visibly sick and not travelling further than a 4km distance from your front door;
4. When you are dressed up in your pyjamas for a charity event (v popular in schools) and;
5. If you are a bogan but we generally don't talk about that.

JonSnowsWhore Fri 20-Oct-17 23:28:40

The only time my feet have ever got wet wearing Ugg’s was years ago when it snowed really deeply & I had to walk through it, snow covering the whole of my feet. Other than that I don’t think rain has ever got through them to make my feet wet. My last few pairs have been the harder wearing ones that pp was taking about though. They’re more of a soft leather look rather than the normal suede if that makes sense. They are probably better for the weather but, the normal material, you can get cleaned in some dry cleaners, these other ones, you can’t (well couldn’t at the one I asked anyway) mine always last 2-3 years & I wear them almost every day in winter. They’ve got a nice new grey/purple colour out this year that I very much fancy

MyDogHasNoNose Sat 21-Oct-17 05:13:37

Apparently these boots by Celtic and Co are better than Uggs. I'm not an Ugg wearer but my friend is and wears these.

They were the original firm who then sold the Ugg brand to Ugg.

The boots can even be machine washed and my friend sends hers back to be resoled when they need it. She has had hers for years.
www.celticandco.com/sheepskin-boots/womens-sheepskin-boots/celt-regular-boot

PrimalLass Sat 21-Oct-17 05:33:55

Right, so the 'classic' one are actually slippers (I'm Australian so trust me)

They have been worn as outdoor shoes in this country for at least 10 years.

PrimalLass Sat 21-Oct-17 05:36:18

The boots can even be machine washed

So can Ugg boots.

BikeRunSki Sat 21-Oct-17 05:50:37

Celtic and Co do a water resistant sheepskin boot called “Aqualamb”. I have never had Uggs, but I find the quality of my Celtic boots very good. I have had them 6 years and have machine washed them several times.

LittleWitch Sat 21-Oct-17 06:11:42

I don’t generally wear mine as slippers OP, I wore them to travel skiing last year, wore them in the apartment and wore them in the very dry snow. I would wear them outdoors on a very cold, very dry day here.

rizlett Sat 21-Oct-17 06:41:09

I sprayed mine with waterproofer and wear them outside - I have an additional pair [both purchased in sales] that are my slippers.

purpleme12 Sat 21-Oct-17 07:09:56

www.ugg.com/uk/classic-short-ii/1016223.html?dwvar_1016223_color=CHE#srule=popular-descending&sz=12&start=01&cgid=women-boots

I'm confused. Are people really saying these boots are slippers??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now