Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hair toner question?

(10 Posts)
AlyTab Fri 20-Oct-17 08:06:21

I have blonde highlights all over my head, so it's mostly blonde, but I've never used an actual toner on my hair, only purple shampoo/conditioner. My mum gave me a toner that she uses on her hair (Jerome Russel 'Steel' Maximum Colour Toner), so it's for quite grey hair, as indicated by my mum and the colour on the box. Can I still use it? I don't want grey hair, just to eradicate some of the brassiness. It's says to leave it on for a maximum of 30 minutes, but says very dry hair could process in 10-15 minutes. My hair isn't super dry, but could I maybe leave it on for 5-10 minutes without it turning grey? Or should I just buy another toner? Really confused.

AlyTab Fri 20-Oct-17 09:24:07

Really need advice on this toner, so if it help here is the toner I'm referring to

Laiste Fri 20-Oct-17 13:31:18

The purple shampoos/conditioners out there are mostly quite gentle. Meant, i think, to be used often for a long term cumulative effect.

IMO if the purple shampoos ect. are enough to keep your brassiness down on their own then that steel grey toner will be a bit strong for you.

If you find the purple shampoos aren't keeping the brassiness down then maybe your highlights are too dark/orangey for a subtle toner to work? In that case you could give the JR one a go and see ... depends how brave you are smile

(all at home hair tone/colouring is a bit of a leap of faith)

Dippingmytoesin Fri 20-Oct-17 13:34:14

Your hair will almost certainly go silver if you use that.

Toners still need upkeep so just use a silver or purple shampoos to keep the brasiness away.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 20-Oct-17 14:32:02

I have ash blonde hair and I use bleach London white toner to keep brassy tones away, it's great.

I think would try it for 5-10 mins to see ? But I like experimenting and it will wash out

Laiste Fri 20-Oct-17 15:23:58

I used to use 50/50 Wella colour charm T18 and T11 to tone brassiness out. (mixed with a 20% developer). All available on amazon, the best and longest lasting toning option out there IMO. A lovely neutral pale blonde. No yellow, no ash, all done in 10/15 mins.

Dustbunny1900 Fri 20-Oct-17 15:39:36

I'm another one who uses wella T11 (one quarter of a bottle) with T18 (three quarters of a bottle) and then a 20 developer. Kept it on for 20 min for real brassy hair. Then use purple shampoo for upkeep once a week (its drying).
I get it at Sally's beauty supply, idk if you guys have them over there, or online.

AlyTab Fri 20-Oct-17 16:04:26

Thank you everyone. The problem is I only wash it about once a week, so I don't know if using a purple shampoo/conditioner once a week would be enough to keep the brassiness away? I also would prefer a neutral blonde tone I think. It's not really brassy at all actually, just quite warm atm which I do like when I put on fake tan but not so much when I'm my natural skin colour (pale as fuck). Therefore I figured that neutral would be the solution to that.

PandaEyes2 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:31:34

I use a brand called fudge purple shampoo. It's so strong! I have literally turned parts of hair purple before but it works! It's quite pricey but last a long time! You can use it as often as you like but usually once a week is enough to keep the yellow at bay.

I usually wash my hair once or twice with normal shampoo and then use the purple shampoo (slap loads of it on and really massage it in) I suggest you wash excess off before you massage because if your hands are a little dry you end up with purple hands lol. And then just leave for a couple of minutes depending on how brave you are lol.

I love mine grey! Literally blonde is always too yellow for me 🙈 it's actually a nightmare but found this is much better than trying to keep buying toners and getting the right one!

https://www.beautybay.com//haircare/fudgeprofessional/cleanblondevioletshampoo?utmsource=google%2Bshopping&utmm_medium=organic&utmcampaign=shopping%2Bfeed&selectedSku=FUDG0091H&ctyid=gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImre45cHH_1gIVChMbCh1V8wjaEAkYASABEgJr1DD_BwE

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 20-Oct-17 18:07:40

I wouldn't advise using the steel coloured toner unless you want a silvery look.

Purple shampoos do contain small amounts of toner. I really like the Lee Stafford bleach blonde shampoo (Boots). You can leave it on damp hair for 5 minutes for a more toning effect.

When you get your highlights redone, ask for a cool or ash blonde instead if the colour is too warm to start with.

If you want to try a more permanent toner, I second The Bleach London white toner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now