Talk

Advanced search

Party dress won't zip up. Cover with shrug??

(13 Posts)
goodnightfeast Fri 20-Oct-17 00:09:52

I'm off to a party in two days. My frock, which I hadn't tried on until now, is gaping at the back and won't fasten. I've got the perfect shrug to go with the dress, and it covers the zip problem, especially if I use a well-hidden safety pin to secure it at the base of the gape.

I also have another dress, which has no problems zipping up but isn't quite what I want to wear to the party.

What should I do? The dress I want to wear is in my size, but has no 'give' in the waistband.

Nettletheelf Fri 20-Oct-17 00:12:03

Wear the other one (or buy a new one...any excuse). Imagine if you get really warm from dancing and can't take your shrug off.

munchkinmaster Fri 20-Oct-17 00:12:06

Wear the one that fits. Sorry not what you want to hear but nothing worse than ill fitting clothes.

BoomBoomBoomBoooom Fri 20-Oct-17 00:13:14

2 day juice detox? Should give you a couple of inches.

BackforGood Fri 20-Oct-17 00:14:42

You really can't go out in a dress that is so much too small the zip wont even do up. It's not going to be a good look.

Theresnonamesleft Fri 20-Oct-17 00:15:35

Is the zip jammed or won’t fasten.
Jammed it can be replaced.
Won’t fasten, sorry but wear the fitting dress. Chances are the zip will unzip. You will be too hot. People will be asking all night if they can take the shrug.

oldlaundbooth Fri 20-Oct-17 02:01:55

Hard core low carb or wear something else.

BenLui Fri 20-Oct-17 02:32:28

Wear the other dress.

The risk of the other one going badly badly wrong is too high.

avamiah Fri 20-Oct-17 03:10:39

I like the sound of the dress that is a little tight/too small to be honest .
Go for the dress that you feel comfortable wearing and makes you feel sexy .

goodnightfeast Fri 20-Oct-17 23:10:01

Ok. I went with the majority vote. Am now at my folks' place, and brought the Other Dress with me. Spent ages last night with a shoelace threaded through the offending zip, trying to pull it up. It's actually stiff into the bargain, which doesn't help, but MN Hivemind won out.
I do actually adore this Other Dress, and I know I'll look great. Back to Slimming World next week, to eventually get into the little black number wink

BenLui Fri 20-Oct-17 23:27:46

Have a wonderful time!

You can target Christmas for wearing the other dress.

LadyLapsang Fri 20-Oct-17 23:28:10

Buy a dress that fits.

OuchLegoHurts Sat 21-Oct-17 10:00:14

Also, shrugs have pretty much had their day, fashion wise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now