Talk

Advanced search

Foundation brush recommendations - Real Techniques?

(8 Posts)
userofthiswebsite Thu 19-Oct-17 23:26:08

Currently using Beauty Blender (original) for foundation but it does have a couple of downsides. One being that it sheers out foundation and as my skin can be quite 'rough' I do generally want that better level of coverage. The other that I find it difficult to get all of the foundation out of the sponge whatever cleaning method I use, particularly Double Wear, and of course any sponge soaks some of the product every time you use it.

Anyway for that reason wanted to look into foundation brushes and looking for recommendations please. I have heard RT mentioned brushes often and there seem to be 2 popular foundation ones - Buffing Brush and the Expert Face brush.

Are these decent or too cheap to be worth spending money on? It's a one off purchase so prefer to buy something decent from another brand.

Thanks

EnidButton Fri 20-Oct-17 00:14:35

I haven't used those particular individual brushes but I do have a lot of the Real Techniques brushes and I really like them.
I have some from Mac and a pretty pricey set from Bobbi Brown which I really like, but I reach for the RT ones everyday as they're so easy to use. They've been washed regularly and look as good as new, even the 2-3 year old ones. I'd highly recommend them. Especially for the price.

EnidButton Fri 20-Oct-17 00:18:18

At the moment btw, I apply foundation using a RT stippling brush and then use an ever so slightly damp beauty blender to blend it in even more. I kind of tap and roll the bb on my skin.

But the rt expert face brush looks very good so I'm going to buy that one next. Looks like it'd be good for buffing it into the skin.

Ellaadie Fri 20-Oct-17 00:45:21

Hi i would highlight recommend morphe brushes you can buy them from beautybay, i find using my M444 with my double wear foundation gives me amazing coverage. Dont need to use as much product either because it wont soak it all up like the beauty blender does!

whatthehellnoweh Fri 20-Oct-17 01:35:12

I have used both, and would recommend the Expert Face brush over the Buffing. The Expert Face is rounder and denser, which for me makes it really easy to use. I use it by dotting foundation onto my face and then using small circular motions (too big and you can rub off the foundation essentially). Doesn't sheer out the foundation AFAIR. The Buffing is also good, but a weird shape and must less dense so for me it didn't apply my foundation evenly and sheered it out too much (and I wear sheer foundation anyway). Also found that is shed much more quickly than the EF. Another advantage of the EF is that it's sold individually, and the BB is in a set, and I gave away the other brushes in the set as I couldn't find a use for them.

WhatIsGoingOnNow Fri 20-Oct-17 02:00:24

I had the EfB and replaced it with the sculpting brush. Much nicer

LemonShark Fri 20-Oct-17 15:54:24

I love the RT brushes on the whole but really don't rate the face brush (gold handle, used for foundation), find it literally impossible to get my foundation smooth, it goes all patchy and streaky. Have tried it with multiple foundations too. Total waste of money!

Maybe try a traditional foundation brush (like the eco tools one) that almost lets you paste it on like paint, then use the sponge to sheer it out a little? Since I started using a BB shape sponge (knock off £4 one from TK Maxx) I haven't looked back. I just wash it every day in the shower before use by rubbing it on a bar of soap and wringing it out in a towel so it's moistish and doesn't soak up much product.

CruzRamirez Fri 20-Oct-17 16:06:30

I use the expert face brush to buff in concealer and really like it. I'm not sure I'd be able to do full foundation with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now