Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How can I funk/edgy up this dress a bit?

(25 Posts)
PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 16:06:29

I bought this dress a few years ago, and have never worn it..It's a lovely dress, really good quality, fits beautifully etc (from La Redoute) and I do love it..but.. I guess I worry that it's a bit frumpy maybe? not sure..anyway, I would like to wear it to a Christmas event this year if possible..can you think of any way I could make it a bit more edgy? The only thing I can think of is a fur gilet and some non obvious boots..but I'm a bit hopeless..all help very welcome before I give up and try and sell the dress.

Thinkingofausername1 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:41:58

Jewellery? A nice cream or blue bracelet comes to mind!

FauxFox Thu 19-Oct-17 16:44:33

Biker jacket?

What sort of event is it? A party or a daytime thing?

TempStamos Thu 19-Oct-17 16:46:16

I would wear white heels and silver jewellery.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:50:34

I think a biker jacket would definetly make it more edgy!
I like your idea of a fur gilet and some tan boots. Very 70's retro.

LunaTheCat Thu 19-Oct-17 16:54:09

Lovely dress and very feminine. I think go a bit grungy with accessories - leather biker and trainers or boots. Depends on degree formality of Christmas do to know whether that would work.

PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 16:57:31

It's an evening Christmas party in an Army mess..some will wear something posh (ish), some won't..there is always a bit of a mix...I usually do my own thing as I'm not glam like they are glam (I don't do high heels and nails and stuff..and I don't try anymore because I really can't do it..it's just not me..)..I usually wear some variation on a Lindy Bop dress and try and be myself that way..so I'm not too bothered if I " don't fit in " because I don't really anyway..but I don't want to look like a total plonker...A biker jacket would be great..hmm..what kind of boots do you think?

PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 16:58:41

The men are to wear suits with Christmas jumpers, so it's not as formal as all that really..but the ladies are glam mostly...but that's just their style rather than a prerequisite.

FauxFox Thu 19-Oct-17 18:30:46

Heeled black suede ankle boots would be nice and you can wear funky tights if you fancy - fishnets or coloured or whatever, only a bit will show so it’s not OTT...

Caulk Thu 19-Oct-17 18:36:58

Pufffy petticoat underneath? Like a netted one to make it stick out a bit?

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 18:39:46

Chunky black crystal necklace and bangle?

PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 18:41:50

I do have heeled black suede boots, both ankle and knee high, middling high heels, chunky..which do you think? have a black necklace too..

IWouldLikeToKnow Thu 19-Oct-17 18:44:22

Gorgeous dress, definitely not frumpy. Very on trend to be fair. I’d wear this with black boot - probably a block heal - I’d opt for mid calf length but actually ankle or knee height would work too. I wouldn’t go for much accessories as you don’t want to pretty it up. As PPs have said, a biker jacket will be fab with it.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 19-Oct-17 18:51:27

A really good bra, a tight fitted dark denim jacket, lots of silver bangles and red nails and lips, amazing perfume and a big glass of wine. smile

Intomyarms Thu 19-Oct-17 19:00:16

What kind of event?

I’d team it with Chelsea boots and a leather jacket. If long hair, slick into a ponytail and wear strong red lips or if shorter hair I’d toss it boho style.

It is a lovely dress and one I’d never consider frumpy unless you wear it with a cardigan!!!

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 19:02:37

I agree, nothing pretty. I was think of this kind of thing...

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 19-Oct-17 19:03:33

A cardi would ruin it.
If it's cold in the daytime, it would look good with a thin polo neck underneath, boots like the picture and one of those floppy brimmed hats like a 60's chick.

SinglePringle Thu 19-Oct-17 19:08:58

I think I’d put a silver studded, black leather ‘biker’ belt with it. Or a similar ‘Cowboy’ one. With very pointed but heeled ankle boots. With a long black shearling gillet and ‘hippy’ 70’s earrings.

SinglePringle Thu 19-Oct-17 19:14:04

Such as these...

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Thu 19-Oct-17 20:06:15

Gotta be a leather biker and heeled ankle boots. Shedload of bangles - leather ones and silver or pewter.

PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 20:42:06

I'm looking at Biker jackets! I also have a grey canvas military style jacket, what do we think about that? There is grey in the dress, also have grey suede (not flat) ankle boots..They could be nice with black fishnet tights? Off to look at the gilets. Thank you all, please keep helping.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 19-Oct-17 22:34:32

I like the sound of your grey jacket and the grey suede boots. A biker would look good but it might be a bit hot at a party? Anyway, have fun with it and don't be afraid to wear it and be a bit different. smile

PolkaDottyRose Fri 20-Oct-17 11:01:42

I ordered a leather jacket last night, and it's come today..oh my goodness, it's lovely! but how do I convince OH that it's " essential " grin

PolkaDottyRose Sun 05-Nov-17 15:14:08

Would these be funky enough to wear with the dress and biker jacket? I have longer sock type black boots, but then you won't see the fishnet tights. If these aren't ok can you suggest some? can't be stillettos as I can't walk in them, sadly. Can walk in a kitten heel.

PolkaDottyRose Sun 05-Nov-17 15:26:58

Or these?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: