Talk

Advanced search

Budget friendly Autumn/Winter skincare?

(10 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Wed 18-Oct-17 16:24:09

Have almost no disposable income but could really use some TLC in this cold weather.

I own a total of 1 moisturiser and some vitamin E under eye cream.
Also have a face scrub that came in a gift set last Xmas blush and face wash etc
Don't have anything good for the lips and they are very sensitive this time of year - Vaseline does nothing.

Was hoping for a facial oil but they all seem pricey.

Any product recommendations would be v helpful!

Talisin Wed 18-Oct-17 17:00:56

Superdrug does a very decent facial oil for next to nothing. Vaseline gel (assuming that’s what you mean) is an occlusive so while it’s good at holding moisure in, it’s not that great at actually moisturising. There are any number of lip balms that will work better - I haven’t tried it myself but Lansinoh nipple cream gets a lot of love round these parts for really dry lips, it’s more expensive than bog standard lip balm however. Big tub of something like Astral or Nivea is very cheap and great for overnight skin hydration.

FGSholdthedoor Wed 18-Oct-17 19:00:34

Thank you @Talisin that's actually a really good price!

Is there any other good buys in SD? I can see they have buy 1 get one half price!

OldJoseph Wed 18-Oct-17 19:18:32

Their Simply Pure serum is very good (and cheap).

bingohandjob Wed 18-Oct-17 19:23:31

The Superdrug skincare ranges are really good...I picked up some of the Optimum range based on this www.theguardian.com/fashion/2017/oct/14/high-street-moisturiser-day-night-cream-beat-luxury-brands-sali-hughes-superdrug-avon and have used the B.range, Pure and Naturally Radiant - all really good and my preference over much spendier ranges. All often on half price offer which I like because I can try the full range eg serum, eye cream, moisturiser and night cream for price of one more high end product. I love the B. range so high hopes for Optimum!

bingohandjob Wed 18-Oct-17 19:26:08

I can get sore/wind chapped lips - swear by lanolin (nipple cream) and a tube lasts AGES. I decant doses into small travel pots to leave in handbag, in work etc but to be honest find only have to apply once in morning, once at night www.lansinoh.co.uk/products/hpa-lanolin

peppykoala Wed 18-Oct-17 19:36:31

Definitely try the Superdrug Simply Pure serum - the night one is even better than the original day one (which is excellent).

I always go for Blistex Intensive Moisturiser for winter lips - especially the cherry one!

DancingHouse Wed 18-Oct-17 22:08:33

Big jar of coconut oil does it all.

Use it as a makeup remover and as a moisturizer. Mix it with some Demerara sugar for a scrub.

MarjorySunshineDust Thu 19-Oct-17 07:04:55

I second the Superdrug hydrating serum, it really is excellent! For facial oil I like Dr Organic rose oil serum, they are around the £10 mark so depends on your budget but the ingredients are lovely and it lasts ages as you only need a drop.

TeaAddict235 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:03:59

Dancinghouse pure coconut oil can go rancid if not used up quickly, also not everyone's skin can take it. And don't forget that the price varies depending on the time of the year, so it might not be the best for the OP.

Do you want more natural products or are you ok with most ingredients OP?

If you are not fussed and don't mind a scent, I find that the Garnier Moisture rich creams in the pink box and tube ~ £2.99 (often on offer) is nicely Moisturising and great for under the eyes too.

If you want more natural products, do try coconut oil or shea butter but only in small quantities (if you order or buy by the gram) so that the whole lot doesn't go rancid and then you break out in spots. The products are expensive but are the base of most good Moisturising creams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now