Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on designer bags as investments

(13 Posts)
Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:47:20

I'm considering buying my first designer bag. Could it be considered an investment (e.g.something I could sell a bit further down the line to buy another, accepting I'll lose some of the value)?

If so are there any tips for keeping them in good condition and/or any particular brands that retain their value more than others?

IHopeYourCakeIsShit Wed 18-Oct-17 14:50:57

I thought an investment was when you bought something for profit.
If you are buying something that will lose some value, it is not an investment, it is a luxury purchase.
Prepare to be told to buy a bench.
Just buy what you love!

Ttbb Wed 18-Oct-17 14:51:38

Only if it's a birkin

JennyTaylior Wed 18-Oct-17 14:53:46

Hermes are - as far as I know - the only brand that reliably keep their value. Some increase due to scarcity and the PITA of getting one.

Some Chanel bags increase, some stay the same, some decrease. It totally depends on demand at the time.

Keeping them in good condition means storing them in their original packaging, use silicon sachets if you live in a damp country. Get good quality leather conditions and use sparingly. It also means don't use the bag much! It's amazingly easy to scratch them...

Which brand did you have in mind for your first purchase?

HarrietBasset Wed 18-Oct-17 19:06:25

I have a Chanel 2.55 which I bought as a luxury purchase. I adore it and it's gone up in value since I bought it though it wasn't what I would consider an investment purchase. If I needed to I could sell it tomorrow for a lot more than I paid for it which somehow makes me feel less guilty about owning it.
There was an article in the Daily Telegraph about Chanel bags being a great investment but I think it depends on the model and how well you are planning to look after it. I have LV's and Mulberrys too which I love though they have all decreased in value.
Buy something you really love and enjoy it.

StealingYourWiFi Wed 18-Oct-17 19:10:58

I bought a Chanel jumbo flap in 2009 for £1400 (tax free). The same bag is now sold for £4450.

On ebay second hand ones are selling from anything from £2.5k to £4k.

So yes a good investment.

chartreuse Wed 18-Oct-17 19:21:11

I agree, classic Chanel styles (not the 'quirky' ones) and Hermes are the only ones that will hold their value.

Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:29:21

Thank you! I didn't phrase that well but yes I meant I don't mind if they lose a little value down the way but would like to be able to get a decent amount back in case I wanted to buy another later. Of course the ideal would be to buy something that increases value but it sounds like I'd have to hold onto that bag for quite a while.

Not sure it would be much fun if I was too busy looking after it! smile

I was thinking about a Chloe but it might be too early in the brand's history for those to retain much value yet.

OpheIiaBaIIs Wed 18-Oct-17 19:56:27

I bought a few Mulberrys about ten years ago when they were really beautiful, thick Darwin leather. I paid £495 for my Bayswaters and £295 each for a couple of smaller bags. Last year I decided to trim down my collection and sold two Bayswaters for £650 each and a small one for £350. So, not a fantastic investment, but I did get a decade of gentle use out of them and got back pretty much what I paid, taking inflation into account.

If by 'investment' you mean a bag which will serve you well for years and will go with everything, there's lots to choose from. I'd even suggest a classic pre-loved Darwin Mulberry from a reputable seller - if you choose a classic style (like Bays) you might even make a small profit should you sell it on later. But unless you've got the cash to spend on a Hermes you're not going to find a bag which will be an investment in the classic sense.

Enjoy bag shopping though, it's definitely one of life's pleasures!

HaHaHmm Wed 18-Oct-17 20:01:40

Completely agree with PP - Hermès and Chanel bags in absolutely mint condition and in particular colours will likely depreciate the least, but if you are approaching a designer bag purchase as an investment then you are going about it in the wrong way, not least because to keep it in perfect condition you will barely be able to use it.

Avoid 'it' bags (look at how cheap Chloé Paddingtons and Fendi Baguettes are on eBay for a cautionary tale) and go for something classic if you wish but otherwise choose something that you love and enjoy using it. If it holds its value then that's a bonus.

CoveredInFondant Wed 18-Oct-17 20:05:42

Chanel, Hermes, Birkin.

I treated myself to a Birkin for a birthday. We're a decade on and I barely even want to breathe on it the way it's sky rocketed

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:14:08

I'm of the opinion that bags are to be used, loved and lived with. I've a couple of Chanel 'boy' bags that aren't in mint condition any more but they've seen me through yeas of fun and adventures.

Investment pieces are treasures, yes, but they don't live a life and it makes me sad to think of bags sat in wardrobes, unused. I don't see mine as investments to re-sell but as investments that just bring a bit of joy to my life. Nobody looks a scruffy twat with a Chanel dangling off their shoulder. Except that Gemma Collins. You could dangle 57 Birkins from her and she'd still look the human equivalent of B&M Bargains.

JoJoSM2 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:05:17

I’m not convinced that prices for Chanel or Hermes are going to carry on increasing exponentially. They were much cheaper 10 years ago and the luxury market has expanded enough for them to be able to put the prices up three-fold.

I wouldn’t bank on the trend continuing. However, yes it is possible to sell luxury bags on. I’m not sure it’ll be possible if you have only one or two bags that you use all the time as they will look a little tired after a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now