Talk

Advanced search

Perfumistas - Help me find a perfume for my (winter) wedding?

(28 Posts)
1Wanda1 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:04:53

I read the perfumistas threads and am hoping that some of the knowledgeable fragrance enthusiasts here can help me to choose a (winter) wedding fragrance. I am looking for something with reasonable sillage and duration, but not too shouty; also something which will develop rather than be linear. I'd like to find something I absolutely love, rather than just something I like.

I tend to pick chypres, and I love vetiver but often find it a bit more masculine than I want it to be. Currently I have FBs of:

Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent – have an on/off love of this. I love the vetiver but it's heavy on the woody notes and I find it a bit too masculine as a result.
Miller Harris L'Eau Magnetique – fresh, inoffensive, this is my everyday perfume for work, but not very exciting/special.
Guerlain Parure – I adore this one but DP doesn't. Also it's quite dry and severe – I'd like something more inviting for the wedding.
Diptyque Philosokos – love it but think of this one as summery, and DP is not so keen on strong fig.

Prior to the above, I wore Chanel Coco EDP, Prada Infusions d'Iris, and Bottega Veneta (the first one).

From the above choices, and my reading of the perfumistas threads, I've concluded that I like woody/spicy (but not too woody) or green/citrusy. I don't like anything too sweet or floral, so am not keen on anything with dominant vanilla or amber.

I have tried:

Chanel Sycomore – so far this is in the lead. I like that it's a vetiver which is more feminine but I can't say I absolutely love it.
L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha – liked this but DP didn't like the smoky note.
Chanel Coromandel – was surprised I didn't love this, as everyone seems to.
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire – I did love this, and would definitely wear it, but think it's a bit on the masculine side for my wedding day.
Histoires des Parfums 1899 – a spicebomb. Bit masculine.
AdP Colonia Intensa – this is probably second favourite so far but like Sycomore, I don't love it.
Tauer – un rose chypree (bit of a departure but had a sample in a drawer. Bit too strong for me, though I loved how it developed.

I've also sniffed (in Liberty) most of the Kilian, Keiko Mecheri and Francois Kurkdjian offerings, and liked some but didn't love any. Similarly not especially keen on Jo Malone.

Haven't tried but would like to: Mona di Orio Vetyver.

I would love any other suggestions of fragrances to look out for. I'm not far from London but won't be able to get into London for weeks, so am limited to ordering samples online at present. Would be great to have a better idea of what to look for and stop wasting time on blind buys I end up not liking!

Henrysmycat Wed 18-Oct-17 14:30:22

I'm in currently in love with Penhalingon's (Halfeti) but have a look at nose.fr. They are French but they do ship samples to the UK based on your perfume preferences. They are responsible for my expensive addiction to Villoresi and Kurkdjian. Shame on them! wink

BluebellGal Wed 18-Oct-17 18:59:10

Hi there, in terms of longevity and decent silage, Francis Kurkdjian are the best. They develop over time on skin, so sniffing in the shop won’t really give the best idea. You may like satin Oud. I think it’s in my top 5. But I also like Baccarat Rouge (that’s going to be too seeet for you). I also like Miller Harris perfumes you describe but I struggle with the longevity of that brand as I find them all rather weak (although not as bad as Jo Malone).

Can you get to Les Senteurs on Elizabeth Street in London? I think it reopens from refurb. They will spend time with you and they are so knowledgeable. I’m sure you’ll find what you want there.

I would order some samples online, they can be pretty reasonable from Notino or similar website.

BluebellGal Wed 18-Oct-17 19:03:38

Actually, you could ring up Bloom describe what you’re after and ask them to put together a sample pack

This sample pack might be to your taste and is only £23

bloomperfume.co.uk/products/sample_packs/2430

BluebellGal Wed 18-Oct-17 19:09:13

Ooh and the Luca Turin edit (he’s a popular perfume writer)

bloomperfume.co.uk/editors_picks/_luca_turin_perfume_2016

bingohandjob Wed 18-Oct-17 19:11:14

This is my favourite winter scent which you might like...you could ring them and ask for a sample, perhaps? www.joloves.com/fragrances/pink-vetiver

bingohandjob Wed 18-Oct-17 19:13:02

Jo Loves scents last MUCH longer than Jo Malone, many of which I love but find they wear off within a few hours.

MrsPestilence Wed 18-Oct-17 22:00:59

Aedes de Venustas - Iris Nazarena. Woody, smoke, leather and an unusual iris This stuff is a journey.

BubblesBuddy Thu 19-Oct-17 00:09:58

Guerlain Mitsouko. A perennial favourite of mine and it's been around since the 1930s (unlike me!) Lumiere Doree by Miller Harris. Less everyday. I always get asked what it is when I wear it. Miss Dior. Chanel
No 5. Classics work best for a wedding.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 19-Oct-17 11:09:29

As you like vetivers so much, what about Vetiver Tonka from the Hermessences range? It's soft and warm, some sillage and projection but is subtle and could be lovely for a winter wedding. It doesn't last brilliantly on me, but you could top it up at intervals (or it might last better for you). It's at the more feminine end of vetiver. Good luck finding the the Mona di Orio, but I think the range has disappeared after her death; I loved Lux (lemons, fading to suede) and can't get more after the sample I had.

1Wanda1 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:03:40

Some intriguing-sounding suggestions here. I love the sound of Jo Loves Pink Vetiver, will definitely call and see if they will send a sample. Bloom Perfumery I have only just found out about on Mumsnet. I would love to visit the shop and have a good sniff of lots of options.

Mitsouko I love, but it's one of my mother's frequently-worn ones, so I probably wouldn't go for that.

Vetiver Tonka is one I have wanted to try for a while but never see in department stores. Is it only available in the Selfridges/Harvey Nichols type of stores?

Having said I don't like Jo Malone, I've just sniffed the new English Oak and Hazelnut and really liked it, though it is a bit linear and I was wondering whether layering it with one of the other JM fragrances would give it more depth. Not sure which ones would work well with it though.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 19-Oct-17 16:21:48

1Wanda1, I am sorry, but yes it is. I bought 4 x15ml bottles (including two VT) and most recently bought a decant from a reseller in Germany. In fact, I'm not even sure if Harrods etc have it or whether it is available exclusively from Hermes. You would get it in Bond Street I am sure.

PerfumeIsAMessage Thu 19-Oct-17 16:24:54

Winter wedding - Doe in the Snow?

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:34:55

How about Dior Hypnotic poison, I love it.

Kintan Thu 19-Oct-17 16:59:56

Penhaligon's Vaara might be an option.

explodingkittens Thu 19-Oct-17 17:15:21

If you like Une Rose Chypree (which I love) you might like La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens. It's a rose but not sweet, quite 'clean' and fresh.

What about Diorella or Miss Dior Originale if you fancy going for a classic? Both would be great wedding choices and definitely aren't sweet florals.

I think Mona di Orio is still stocked in Les Senteurs but don't know if it's the whole range.

explodingkittens Thu 19-Oct-17 17:23:36

MdO Vetyver samples here

GertrudeBelle Thu 19-Oct-17 17:27:30

Chanel BOY is like a more rounded Jicky. Lavender, sandalwood, citrus and vanilla. It is unisex but classy with good staying power. Love it.

Whatthefoxgoingon Thu 19-Oct-17 17:31:56

I would take a look at the offerings of Ormonde Jayne. Beautiful perfumes. Can be sniffed at Harrods and the standalone boutique in old Bond Street.

Auldspinster Thu 19-Oct-17 18:13:54

Femme by Rochas is in a similar vein to Mitsouko with more warmth.

1Wanda1 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:25:07

Auldspinster, Femme is another of my mum’s former faves - I bought a bottle on eBay a while ago just to have it to sniff a smell of my childhood!

Called Les Senteurs today and after discussing my preferences with the very lovely chap on the phone, ordered samples of:

Mona di Orio Vetyver
Ombu
Oriental Velours

And something else the name of which I’ve now forgotten. He also suggested Cruel Intentions by Kilian but I think I’ve tried that before and wasn’t keen.

Looking forward to my samples arriving and hoping one might be The One.

CantChoose Thu 19-Oct-17 23:31:27

Penhaligons do some lovely scents which match your description. When you can get to london next consider their free scent profiling at the Burlington arcade store. You have to book but I couldn’t recommend it enough. DH and I have both bought favourites after that, twice each!

AgainReally Thu 19-Oct-17 23:42:04

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays is definitely winter wedding chypre!

AgainReally Thu 19-Oct-17 23:42:30

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays is definitely winter wedding chypre!

Stopyourhavering Thu 19-Oct-17 23:49:29

Would this website be of any use....
www.fragrantica.com/notes/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now