Talk

Advanced search

Nail treatment that looks like nail varnish?

(18 Posts)
Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:04:09

My nails are a bit of a state (ridges etc due to medical issues). I can't therefore leave them plain but don't want to make them worse hiding them under polish with lots of chemicals.

Is there a nail treatment that looks like natural polish, ideally organic or near organic?

Cakescakescakes Wed 18-Oct-17 14:10:18

Nail Envy by OPI comes in a clear and pinkish natural formula
Don’t think it’s organic etc though. It is great for brittle or rubbish nails.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:42

Technically all nail coatings are organic as they make out of something that's never had pesticides etc used in its production.

If you mean natural, then no. None of its natural, it's all acrylic in different forms.

Unicorn81 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:12:55

I tried this in the last tili box, perfect formula, its got a slight pink colour to it, nails were crap and this stuff was brilliant

www.qvcuk.com/Perfect-Formula-4-Piece-Gel-Coat-Nailcare-Collection-w-File.product.232736.html?sc=Froogle&ref=fgl&source=froogle&cm_mmc=PPCSHOPPING-_-Google-_-Shopping-_-Beauty&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3K5dpsZ_K8tcHACODwfKbF4i3vGRjXB_k6COLIqf45Cc41ygcZHWlkaAiCrEALw_wcB&

SheGotOffThePlane Wed 18-Oct-17 18:15:39

I came on to say Perfect Formula as well, it's amazing stuff.

GilligansKitchenIsland Wed 18-Oct-17 18:16:20

When I was in school we weren't allowed nail varnish so we all used to buff our nails to a high shine. I don't know if it's still a thing but you could buy nail buffing "blocks" for the purpose. I think it actually worked by smoothing out any bumps/ridges so they were totally flat and reflected the light.

Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:48:11

Thank you, will have a look at the recommendations.

By organic I mean things like Zoya which are free from a lot of the chemicals other brands have. So more natural I guess.

I think buffing actually weakens the nail in the long term unfortunately (and yep I was a big fan of that when I was at school too)! smile

EnidButton Wed 18-Oct-17 19:46:10

I love nail envy Cakes, wouldn't be without it, but it's packed with chemicals. They do a formaldehyde free version but I bet even that has all sorts in it.

I buff my nails with one of those 4 sided padded things and they're really gentle. Not the harsh things they used to be.

Thinkingofausername1 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:48:38

Opi Nail envy.
Also CND solar oil will nourish your nails if you use it throughout the day.

itsbetterthanabox Wed 18-Oct-17 20:50:00

Nearly all nail polishes are big 3 free and most are big 5 free.
Zoya is no different than most.
Opi nail envy comes in polish colours.
Another option is to get an IBX treatment monthly in salon and then painting them.

NeganLovesLucille Wed 18-Oct-17 21:00:25

Can't beat OPI Nail Envy.

Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:22:49

Thank you, I didn't know about the 3 free and 5 free. I've now ordered Butter London's Tinted Nail Moisturiser which is 7 free.

If that doesn't work will definitely give the Opi a try!

TheMightyMing Wed 18-Oct-17 21:44:01

I bought some nail brightener from Aldi, one of the special buys, it's excellent, has a pink/purple tint and makes my nails look much better.

Pastacube Wed 18-Oct-17 21:58:51

opi nail envy does nothing for me at all.

Have you tried just buffing them? you can buff the ridges down then just buff them up to a shine.

Kai1977 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:10:50

Thank you, it's not just ridges, they are generally weak, brittle and not very bright/healthy looking. I am taking vitamins but want to try treatments that will get to the actual root cause as well. So might give light buffing a try but need longer term solutions too.

JaneEyre70 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:18:24

I don't know how full of chemicals it is but I bought a Sally Hansen one (nail rehab) last week and my normally woeful nails look amazing, DH noticed yesterday and asked if I'd had them done!! It's a pale pink colour so just makes your nails look very shiny and perfect rather than looking as though you are wearing nail varnish.

LindyHemming Thu 19-Oct-17 06:58:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tanaqui Thu 19-Oct-17 12:45:57

Eating a cube of jelly every day is meant to help weak nails!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now