Talk

Advanced search

Very Brief Shopping Trip to London - Help!

(18 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Tue 17-Oct-17 09:45:36

Hi All, Taking DC to London for half term. We live 500 miles away with crap shops so I am keen to squeeze in a little bit of shopping time. Realistically this won't be long at all perhaps a couple of hours. We are staying in Marylebone and doing the usual kids museums etc. Any tips on where I should go? Oxford Street? Although be nice to go to some smaller shops rather than high street I don't know if it's practical..Many thanks !

Jingleberry Tue 17-Oct-17 10:12:22

How about getting off at oxford circus, doing the (amazing) flagship topshop then heading down regents street to carnaby street?

Although I could make that last a day!

tissuesosoft Tue 17-Oct-17 10:15:02

Primark on Oxford Street is great!

HaHaHmm Tue 17-Oct-17 10:55:45

I would walk down Marylebone High Street for lots of gorgeous smaller shops. Keep walking south and you will eventually come out about halfway along Oxford Street, near Bond Street tube. You can stay on Oxford St to do the big department stores (turn left for John Lewis, right for Selfridges), plus you will be handy for the massive Uniqlo. You can carry on past JL to get to Oxford Circus for Topshop etc but I personally tend to dodge OC itself as it's always so madly busy. I would cross Oxford Street and head down New Bond Street for more lovely little shops, then turn left again to make your way across to Regent Street for & Other Stories, Anthropologie, J Crew and Cos. Then behind Regent Street to Liberty and Carnaby Street.

Can you tell that I miss London?

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 17-Oct-17 11:36:38

Other Stories and Uniqlo were 2 shops on my list. And Lulemon is handily in Marylebone. Might try Thurs late night shopping (?) night so DP can get kids to bed and I can shop free 😁 Thanks !

GrimDamnFanjo Tue 17-Oct-17 14:28:50

Oxford Circus will be very busy so if you are more into unusual shops then Covent Garden would be great. Some chains eg TKMaxx, Gap, Apple but loads of smaller interesting ones plus the Plaza too.

HaHaHmm Tue 17-Oct-17 14:37:59

Thursday evening is a good idea. If you can't get away unencumbered then you could always do the itinerary above but ditch DH and the children in Hamleys before continuing down Regent Street smile

Floralnomad Tue 17-Oct-17 14:40:37

Get over to Westwood cross at Shepherd's Bush , I'm sure that it's open late every night .

genericname Tue 17-Oct-17 15:58:37

I would do Liberty, Cos, Anthropologie and &Other Stories all within spitting distance on regent street but it'll be a push in two hours to have a proper shop

whirlyswirly Tue 17-Oct-17 20:11:10

Exactly what hahahmm says smilethat's the route I always do. Plus the king's road and Peter Jones. Go for a coffee in the cafe at the top.

All my favourites in there. I love Marylebone too. If any if you live there in one of those mews houses, you are living my dream envy

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 17-Oct-17 21:17:57

Appreciate the tips! Legoland first then have Thursday and Friday in London then over to St.Albans to see family ! 2hrs is no where near long enough is it !

genericname Tue 17-Oct-17 21:33:02

Seriously op choose your shops wisely! I did this the other day with a friend visiting from abroad and we managed three shops and it felt rushed. We had about two hours too (all v close to each other)

SesameSparkle Tue 17-Oct-17 23:48:49

For just a couple of hours, covent garden is a good bet - Stories, cos, Lululemon, massimo, muji are all there and it's far quieter than Oxford St. But down side is it's a pain to get from there to nearest uniqlo - and the flagship is really good.

thecatfromjapan Tue 17-Oct-17 23:52:45

Remember to use google maps and put shop names in as you go - it makes everything a lot easier!

Le Labo is in Marylebone, just off High Street. Lovely to pop into and smell things if you are in the area - though there is a concession in Liberty.

I like HaHaHum's route.

Do you have any special interests/things you really love and would love to buy?

thecatfromjapan Tue 17-Oct-17 23:57:17

Only thing I'd add to HHM's route is that, if you go on to Oxford Circus (I love John Lewis) there is an & Other Stories there (use google maps to find it).

thecatfromjapan Tue 17-Oct-17 23:59:02

Oh yes - John Lewis has a rooftop garden cafe - you'll have to ask the staff where the entrance is, no-one ever finds it by themselves. You can buy food in the Foodhall and bring it up to the cafe to eat.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 18-Oct-17 07:57:02

I will need to plan this out! Feels like we AR sleeping right under the Heathrow Flight path (Windsor Legoland first!). Not after anything in particular just be nice to go to some new shops. Aberdeen doesn't have much really apart from usual high street stores

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 19-Oct-17 22:14:40

Had a quick 90 mins before kids bed. Managed to tick off Uniqlo and John Lewis at least! Didn't buy anything though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now