Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about home hair dye please!

(11 Posts)
NymeriaStark Mon 16-Oct-17 21:38:54

Never done it but grey really showing now (I’m dark brunette). I know it’s better to get it done at the hairdressers but it’s so expensive.

Home hair dyers give me your top tips please! Which are the best dyes to use? Do I choose the closest cllour to my natural shade? Top tips for application and care? Do I dye before or after a hair cut? Help!

NymeriaStark Fri 27-Oct-17 20:34:00

Anyone?

CupofBeans Fri 27-Oct-17 20:39:25

I dye my own hair and prefer to use professional hair colour and peroxide (wella). Do you know what your hairdresser used to colour your hair last?

NymeriaStark Fri 27-Oct-17 21:17:49

Never dyed it before so no idea where to start!

Laiste Fri 27-Oct-17 21:29:50

Some 'Box dyes' (which is what they call the dye you buy in shops) are specifically made to tackle grey hairs. Have a read of the fronts and you'll see it on there.

When you apply a dark colour put vaseline around your hair line (not in the hair at all) or have some baby wipes ready as dark hair colour can really stain skin for a couple of days. Wipe off any that gets on your skin as soon as you've finished the application.

You can buy the box dye in smaller amounts - the root touch up boxes. If you're only doing a few greys you could use one of those rather than doing a whole head.

The trouble with doing a whole head every time you need to do a few root touch ups is that the colour can start to build up over time and become very dull and black looking.

For your first time i'd chose a dye colour a little lighter than your natural colour. You can always go darker but you can't dye lighter.

If you've got very long or thick hair and you want to do a whole head you might need 2 boxes.

For the application chuck some old towels down. Hair dye will dye lino (and dye grouting in tiles).

Dying over a few grey hairs in your natural colour should get nice results OP. Don't fret too much - they're pretty easy to use smile

JuneFromBethesda Fri 27-Oct-17 21:30:26

I have very dark brown hair. I use Superdrug's own permanent dye, can't remember the exact shade, I think it's one shade lighter than their darkest brown. It's a very slight shade darker than my natural colour just because that's what I feel works best with my colouring. If you're new to it I'd start with the closest you can find to your natural colour and see how you feel with that.

It's reasonably priced, easy to use and does the job of covering the grey. I've used more expensive name brands on occasion but find they all do the same thing! I have enough grey now, sadly, that I have to dye it every 6 weeks without fail. Application is very straightforward, just follow the instructions.

It's very easy and I get exactly the same results as I have on the odd occasion I've had it coloured in a salon. If you're just going for one colour to cover the grey, especially if you're dark-haired, I can't see the point of getting it done at great cost by a professional when you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price.

Laiste Fri 27-Oct-17 21:33:25

I think there's a tip going round at the mo which says bleach on dirty and dye on clean. Meaning best results for bleaching is on hair which hasn't been washed for 2 or 3 days, but dye is best done on clean hair.

(personally i've dyed on dirty and clean and it hasn't made any difference)

NymeriaStark Fri 27-Oct-17 21:48:50

Great tips everyone, thanks. I have clusters of grey above my ears and the odd strand elsewhere, hows best to cover it without dying a whole head each time? And do I dye before or after a hair cut??

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 28-Oct-17 16:39:40

You can get an root touch up spray to extend it a few weeks. I am too lazy and pushed for time, so I will for even a few weeks spray my parting.i think works well.

Bluntness100 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:48:35

Brunett is the easiest to do at home. It normally comes out well. I do mine as I genuinely can’t be arsed sitting all that time in the hairdressers and it doesn’t look any better to be honest.

I use L’Oreal nice and easy, light brown. It’s the most natural for me and closest to my own hair colour, which is quite dark. They come up a lot darker than the box says, so alwats go for a lighter shade and Do a patch test.

You could try their root touch up first. It’s also a dye, but just in a small amount, you put in on the roots then wash it out ten mins later.

You don’t need to and shouldn’t bleach your hair if you’re brunette, there is no need. Just follow advice above.

Fffion Sat 28-Oct-17 16:56:37

I use Clairol about every 5 - 6 weeks. My roots show through after about 3 weeks, and I cover them with coloured dry shampoo.

The hairdresser is so expensive both in money and time. I used to have it dyed fairly light, just so the contrast with my roots wasn't so bad, but after about five years of this, I realised that it didn't suit my skin tone.

I go for my natural colour - dark brown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now