Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask your honest opinion

(36 Posts)
MmmmmmmChips Mon 16-Oct-17 21:13:27

I'm currently a SAHM to 3 school age children.
After my 2nd, I trained as a makeup artist on the side.
Do you think people would be willing to pay for a makeup lesson using either items they already have, recommendations for products that would suit them and pay a bit more to go to department stores-counters so I could recommend products. The point would be that I would be brand independent and that it would be geared towards their lifestyle i.e. If the only wore makeup when going out and didn't want 15 products as a opposed to someone who was looking for foundation / base help and application.

abc12345 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:14:30

Yes

Laquila Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:48

Yes!! I'm not saying I necessarily would, but there's definitely a market for it.

It's such a growth industry, but your issue is that with the rise of beauty bloggers and vloggers, it's hard to make people feel the need for an expert. Definitely scope for your plan though - good luck!

Justmuddlingalong Mon 16-Oct-17 21:17:01

I think that with YouTube tutorials, your possible customer base would be limited.

margaritasbythesea Mon 16-Oct-17 21:17:32

I would.

MrsPringles Mon 16-Oct-17 21:18:44

I would pay for this grin

RickOShay Mon 16-Oct-17 21:20:06

Yes, brilliant idea, can’t get on with youtube, would much prefer to be shown

SharkSkinThing Mon 16-Oct-17 21:21:19

Me too! As I get older I need to update my standard look, but the thought of going to a department store terrifies me.

Where are you, I'd be your customer!

KoalaD Mon 16-Oct-17 21:21:28

I would so pay for this.

HavingAnOffDAy Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:00

I definitely would! If you’re in the north west add me to your waiting list please! smile

Ttbb Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:21

I wouldn't. Make up tutorials on YouTube are quite good these days and when shopping I prefer to get advice from sales consultants.

Uumellmahaye Mon 16-Oct-17 21:26:40

I would! The service you’re offering is just what I’m looking for

What area OP?

trainedopossum Mon 16-Oct-17 21:31:32

You'd have to work out how much you'd need to charge to make it worth your while, and whether or not people would pay that on top of what they pay for buying new products. I think it is an idea with potential but without the benefit of product sales you may find growth a bit slow.

I love the idea of independent advice, rather than being a captive at a branded department store counter. You'd need to know your USP and how it sets you apart from, say, Space NK.

travailtotravel Mon 16-Oct-17 21:32:44

I paid for something similar and I am notoriously tight.

confusedandemployed Mon 16-Oct-17 21:37:08

I would pay for this.

margaritasbythesea Mon 16-Oct-17 21:39:52

I think you would need to be quite specific about what you were offering. Eg. One hour daytime or evening look. Two hours three looks. There's some makeup studio in London ( sorry can't remember the,name) who do a very clear breakdown along those lines. John Lewis personal shopper has a similar description but for clothes.

I'm not sure about the shopping trips. How would it work exactly?

The other thing I'd need would be examples of your work on different skin types. I'm a grey eyes red head. It's really difficult to find colours to suit. Most widely available things are too yellow. I just look dirty or a bit shocked or ill. On top of that whenever I do anything like that, the stylist wants me to wear orange. I don't know why. I really do look awful in it. I'd want to know you weren't going to pull that one.

Mmmmmmmchips Mon 16-Oct-17 21:43:32

I think what what would set me apart is that I wouldn't make money from you purchasing the products so whether you purchased or not wouldn't make a difference. Therefore unlike a counter I wouldn't recommend everything from one brand. And it would also mean I could take into account budget, so even stuff from Boots/ Superdrug.
The other thing is I know so many ladies who have stuff but don't know how to use it.
It would be more of a lesson rather than a makeover

Haggisfish Mon 16-Oct-17 21:45:05

I would, too. West Midlands!

margaritasbythesea Mon 16-Oct-17 21:49:36

I meant really in terms of time etc. But also I like to try a product in a shop, wear it outside and through the day before I decide. I think if I had an advisor next to me I would feel pressure to buy something that they suggested or said suited me but that's not my process for buying things. I'd be uncomfortable.

Maraki Mon 16-Oct-17 21:49:58

If you're in London, PM please x

Mmmmmmmchips Mon 16-Oct-17 22:07:48

Margaritas - I understand but surely there's pressure to buy when you try something at a counter.
Here you can come back at your leisure.
But I don't think it would be just going out,if I had my own kit it could be also the type of products / shades suited to you so you would be better informed when you went out by yourself.
Also like I said it would be application, creating looks possibly using some of the things you already had.

WhatIsGoingOnNow Mon 16-Oct-17 22:09:08

For those who would consider it, if the session was more a lesson rather than shopping, would you prefer coming to me or I come to you?

margaritasbythesea Mon 16-Oct-17 22:12:57

No I don't feel pressure to buy at the counter after all these years. I know what I like and what suits me more or less. Sales people are paid to sell you things. I don't mind that but it won't make me buy orange lipstick ( looking at you Clinique). I'd find it a lot of fun to learn better techniques suited to my difficult face and skin.

I suppose others might go for it but sceptical about how well it would work.

margaritasbythesea Mon 16-Oct-17 22:13:30

I'd prefer to go to you.

Holland00 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:26:39

I would

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now