Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not stylish, definitely not beautiful - hair issues

(12 Posts)
Ncforobvious Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:17

Have always had a nightmare with body hair, think pale skin and jet black hair meets PCOS.

2.5 weeks ago just before I went on holiday, with scarlet cheeks but a determination to wear a bikini for the first time, I took my furry body into a waxing salon and had everything removed. The girl involved was clearly very inexperienced as I discovered towards the end (I had to explain what an epilator was).

All was great except 4 days ago, I woke up itching like crazy and it seems like every hair on my body has decided to pop up under the skin. The backs of my legs are an absolute mess, I look like I have measles. I'm crazy uncomfortable. Have scrubbed and scrubbed with Loofahs and Bosy scrubs but now just have raw pink skin to go with the 2 ft of rash.

Please help MNers - I've stopped sleeping and work is a nightmare!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:49

Ouch!! Piriton and wait it out.

Ncforobvious Mon 16-Oct-17 20:34:06

Will the hairs break through eventually hence the wait?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 16-Oct-17 20:38:17

Yes,you just have a 5 o'clock shadowgrin

weekfour Mon 16-Oct-17 20:55:11

Don't scrub it too hard. You'll just aggravate it.

I've got similar colouring and it's a nightmare. flowers

ElzBelz Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:29

This won't help you now but will save you going through it again. Buy a lumea. With your pale skin/dark hair combination it is perfect for you and you will be amazed by the change and although it's expensive if you can possibly afford it it's worth every last penny.

trainedopossum Mon 16-Oct-17 21:19:52

Glycolic is good for this and for preventing ingrowing hairs too. Just wait for your skin to recover a bit from the scrubbing first. Cortisone cream (just a tiny bit at night) might be helpful if you're rashy and itchy.

I have the same colouring and I fare pretty well with an epilator but I do sometimes get the hair growing (and visible) under a thin layer of skin, and I often get that feeling like I'm being stuck with pins from under my skin. Glycolic helps.

OP did you have a strip wax? It can sometimes break the hairs which can be irritating (and a bit useless as the hair is then just under the surface which isn't much of an improvement on shaving). You might find hot wax better than strip wax. It is applied very hot so the whole hair + root comes out.

Good luck. Hair removal is the bane of my life. flowers

oldted Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:40

I second the Lumea.
With your colouring, it would be perfect for you.

From the website "It works on naturally dark blond, brown and black coloured hairs and on skin tones from very white to dark brown. As with other IPL hair removal based treatments, Philips Lumea cannot be used to treat white / grey, light blond or red hair and is not suitable for very dark skin*. This is due to the high contrast required between the pigment in hair colour and pigment in the skin tone.”

I've tried this & it worked brilliantly until my hair turned grey - not so effective now.

Ttbb Mon 16-Oct-17 21:27:02

Aloe Vera is your friend.

ShirleyPhallus Mon 16-Oct-17 21:29:50

It's no help now but next time you get waxed make sure you exfoliate really hard before you go as well

You just have to wait it out now. Then you'll have quite a lot of pleasure with plucking he ingrowing hairs out!

MaryLennoxsScowl Mon 16-Oct-17 21:51:26

I don't think it's necessarily anything the beautician did wrong - I get this too, two weeks after waxing as it starts to grow back, no matter which salon I go to. I only bother if I'm going on holiday because the regrowth is so rashy and itchy.

Ncforobvious Mon 16-Oct-17 21:58:01

Thank you so much for all the feedback - really helpful

The intimate areas were hot waxed but she did strip wax my legs, they are 10x worse!

As for plucking, this will only be the case if I become a contortionist- worse right on the backs of my thighs! I hate being a girl

Must invest in a Lumea!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now