Talk

Advanced search

Size 16/18 Hourglass Types Advice Please

(11 Posts)
SlimDogMillionaire Mon 16-Oct-17 19:25:44

I need help. I have put on a lot of weight and have gone from a 12 to a 16. Nothing in my wardrobe fits except a seen better days wrap dress, a pair of harem pants and old baggy t shirts.

I am fed up of looking dishevelled but don't know where to start or where to shop from any more. I've tried a few things on and all I see is a frumpy old mum. I'm a jeans an t shirt sort of girl but this look doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is all lost?

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 16-Oct-17 19:27:41

Sorry meant to add that I am an hourglass morphing into an apple with visible rolls sad. Medium height

Want2beme Mon 16-Oct-17 19:38:53

Have you seen Tanesha Awasthi
girlwithcurves.com/ ? She's an hour glass I'd say she might be more than a size 16? I really like a lot of her outfits. Have a look and see if anything inspires you.

www.google.ie/search?q=tanesha+awasthi&client=ms-android-h3g-ie&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj80-G34_XWAhUKIsAKHdO8B-IQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=511

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 16-Oct-17 19:46:58

Thank you. I say I'm a jeans and t shirt kind of girl but I do like dresses and skirts too, though even when slimmer skirts are usually problematic due to my massive boobs.

I'm looking for daytime casual ideas and where to buy. Zara/topshop/h&m etc even though they supposedly stock for a size 16 aren't cut for curves. I look shit in Cos even though I quite like their style.

bingohandjob Mon 16-Oct-17 21:39:16

Simple, classic styles from e.g. Boden, Linea, Laura Ashley, Hobbs, Uniqlo...you can pick up some bargains on eBay if on more of a budget.

lilly0 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:09:19

I love Scarlett and Jos stuff it's a bit pricey though.

crazymissdaisy Mon 16-Oct-17 23:09:17

I'm a similar size 14/16 and shape and have no problems with workwear, but casual so much harder! Plain dark Pencil skirt, studded ankle boots, t shirt with a leather jacket is quite shapely and chic? There are some good pics on Pinterest if you search curvy girl skinny jeans . Maybe it's about the structured silhouette we need to be clearly hourglass and not just huge, but doing it in casual fabrics e.g. denim shirt dress,

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 16-Oct-17 23:44:25

Absolutely agree crazy it's casual I am really struggling with. I just end up looking frumpy, other people bigger than me seem to manage but I can't just march up to them in the street and quizz them.

I absolutely need a new bra, so that's first before I buy anything involving my top half. Maybe I should just forget jeans for now and try some tailored trousers? Where's good for muffin topped, wide thighs in the trousers (not polyester as I could do without the sweaty crutch). Boden/jigsaw are never any good for my tree trunks.

herecomesthsun Tue 17-Oct-17 09:15:28

Jeans don't work for me. I have bought wide legged cropped pants from Gap, they do bigger sizes and are well made.

I can do knee length denim skirts and tights and I have a Boden ruched skirt that fits great.

And have lots of wrap dresses.

lionsleepstonight Tue 17-Oct-17 12:40:28

Tunic jersey dresses and knitted tights work well in leui of jeans. Pair with ankle boots. I get mine from next, boden sale h&m.
Stops me looking shapeless as if I wear skinny jeans I need quite a billowy top which can make me look v fat!

RaininSummer Tue 17-Oct-17 12:50:00

I like Phase Eight dresses - may not be casual enough but they are flattering for boobs and bum types

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now