Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Et tu Toast?

(48 Posts)
Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 18:16:14

I know Toast isn't everyone's cup of tea (if you'll pardon the pun) and it's £££. But I've always thought they did great trousers and I've always recommended them on here for quality.

Today the zip on my favourite trousers went. I've had them less than 6 months.

Whatever you may think of their dental nurse chic, Toast were the one and only place where I could honestly say I had never, ever bought a dud. So that's it. I guess from now on, I'll be buying second hand plus the odd bit from H&M and Uniqlo (where prices are low enough for me to make allowances). And saving up for Margaret Howell which will mean about one purchase a season. And maybe learning to sew.

Just wanted to vent as no-one I know in real life would really get it.

HeyRoly Mon 16-Oct-17 18:18:42

Have you tried to contact them about it? Failing that, get the zip replaced.

GoGoGazelle Mon 16-Oct-17 18:23:29

Contact Toast if you haven't already.

MrsMarigold Mon 16-Oct-17 18:24:05

Their customer services is excellent get in touch via the website.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 18:25:26

I will get it replaced. I may contact them too but I don't live anywhere near a branch so I'd have to send them back and that'll be such a faff. I just feel I shouldn't have to do this - it's not as if they were a cheap and cheerful purchase.

I'm just very disappointed in them, especially after all the times I've sung their praises on here.

ZaraW Mon 16-Oct-17 18:26:51

I bought a blouse last year it was really poor quality and it had holes at the seams after a couple of months. It was a loose fit so shouldn't have happened.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 18:35:12

You too Zara?
With hindsight, there was always a bumpy section to the zip and it was visible too so it should have been picked up by their quality control.

Whether they sort it out or not, I just kind of feel I've hit the end of the road.

SardinesAreSwimming Mon 16-Oct-17 18:46:21

Blimey at their prices, that's not on.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:00:28

I have had duffs a few times.
Most of their clothes are beautiful quality though. I had a blouse a number of years ago now - it was a tunic. Ripped when i sat down. They refunded me after i emailed them and had it sent back. No fuss whatsoever. I had bought a cardigan in the sale. It had a small hole in the knit. I hadnt worn it. They refunded it no problem. They asked for photos and i sent it back then they duly refunded me. They do have excellent customer services.

ZaraW Mon 16-Oct-17 19:00:44

Flo I purchased the blouse in the sale and as I'm not in the UK it wasn't worth the hassle of getting a refund or replacement. On closer inspection the stitching on the seams was pretty awful.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 19:09:49

I'm glad to hear their customer service is good. And I know everyone makes mistakes etc. But when I shell out for their prices I expect that price to include decent quality control.

I've been a bit confused about them for a while because for all their worthy talk, the clothes still seem to be mostly made in China. They also talk on their website about some big cheese recently 'joining the team' and also about their relocating to London so it's got me wondering if there's been some behind the scenes takeover?

Blondielongie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:41:24

Flo, my friend works for them (ugh..... Outing myself) if there's a problem they will be desperate to sort it out!

Also, get their pull on trousers. no zip!! smile
Alternatively, seasalt seem to be channelling toast-esque items. I had a pair of cord trousers that were very similar, surprisingly..

Blondielongie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:42:45

Also don't French connection own them? (Or similar brand...probably why they left lovely Wales..)

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Mon 16-Oct-17 20:46:32

Does anyone remember a poster saying how beautiful a Toast cardi was and Toast posted on the thread saying they would send her one.

Blondielongie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:48:53

I remember that. So nice. (Hope it was real as its such a nice thing to happen to someone who needed a boost)

neveradullmoment99 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:49:53

I remember that smile

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 20:50:59

I've got their pull-on trousers too Blondie smile and they're brill. Embrace the elastic trousers, people. You know you want to really.

French Connection owners? Hmm, I see.

I'm not after a free cardigan! I posted because I felt so disappointed and frustrated.

Blondielongie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:58:29

Those pull on trousers tho... They are so comfy,but someone took a photo of me leaning over a wall in a funny angle and I look like my grandmother in them. (I'm 27) I don't care tho. I love them.

What are you saving for from Margaret Howell?

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 21:07:27

I'm 61 - elasticated trousers? I'm worth it. And I don't really care if I look like a grandmother - I'd love to be one. <Drums fingernails...>

I'm saving for Margaret Howell trousers. I got some second hand in the summer and they're a dream. Or one of her raincoats - but that really is a dream. The reality is that, whenever I get close to the £200 mark, I go and piss it away on something else.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 22:57:50

Anyway I'm coming out of my strop, have taken photos and will email their customer service with tomorrow. Thanks for the advice - and for being there smile

LunaTheCat Tue 17-Oct-17 06:52:01

I Love Toast. Live in Southern Hemisphere though so sending back is very expensive. Bought a linen shirt last year which is absolutely gorgeous and lovely cotton kimono too.
I wish they put garment measurements on their website though - would help a lot.

mizu Tue 17-Oct-17 07:04:59

I love TOAST and often swoon over the emails of new stuff they send me but can't afford to buy any of it new.

I buy from eBay so mostly second hand, and have been once to their outlet store in Shepton Mallet to buy a bag.

I bought the denim Dora dress from eBay this time last year, had only been worn once I think, anyway was like new, £52. I lived in it for work last winter and have recently put it on again.

My point is, with regards the zip, I am expecting this dress - and the zip - to last pretty much forever grin

Therealslimshady1 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:10:13

I bought 2 linen tops last year which shrunk and lost their shape ....

They are already at the charity shop

End of the line for me with Toast

Floisme Tue 17-Oct-17 07:22:12

Got to go to work now but will email them later and let you know what they say - thanks again.

I really do hope it's not the end of the line. It's not even that I buy from them that much but I've always seen them as the quality standard for the rest of the high street. I've already sacked Whistles this year plus H&M (not in the same price league obvs) are on a final warning so I'm running out of options.

Squashit Tue 17-Oct-17 07:24:07

I think Woolovers are better quality re jumpers. Tops and tunics I have had from Toast have developed holes or have looked bobbly and tired very quickly- and I don’t mean knitted ones which all need combing but their cotton ones.

Their footwear is boring too lately. They need to reinject style back into their collections.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: