Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to have such an ugly resting face?

(22 Posts)
zippyswife Mon 16-Oct-17 17:25:14

I’m 40. I’ve never been a beauty. I’ve been passable and with make up I guess even even fairly attractive but my god lately I’ve been catching sight of myself in the mirror when I’m out and it really is full on ugly. Thing is when I smile or talk I’m actually ok again. Not sure if I’ve always been this ugly and just never noticed or if it’s age that has hit or what but it’s terrifying! I think it’s the nose to side of my mouth lines and sag which are the real deal breakers. Just wondered if I was alone here?!

Gingernaut Mon 16-Oct-17 17:26:12

I've got frown wrinkles running from my nose and my mouth.

They get their own acne. sad

Namethecat Mon 16-Oct-17 17:28:26

If I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or shop window I look like I'm the grumpiest of grumps, that or I'm about to punch someone in the face ! Even scare myself.

zippyswife Mon 16-Oct-17 18:45:11

Glad to hear I’m not alone! I’ll be avoiding unexpected mirrors from now on though!

Laska5772 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:51:12

I have a real downward turned mouth and can look so miserable . I never realised quite how much until I met another MNetter and we took 'disguise' photos with out eyes covered to post on the forum here we had got to know each other on..

But looking back... in some of my wedding photos I look darned miserable in also !! ..

I am pretty much a happy person.. just look darned depressed..

Want2beme Mon 16-Oct-17 19:28:15

I hear ya zippyswife. I have the most horrendous face when caught off-guard, so much so, I consciously adopt a more pleasant look most of the time. This makes me look like a loon, but the alternative would scare the life out of you.

Fekko Mon 16-Oct-17 19:30:03

My resting face looks very angry badger. In photos if I smile I just look like a demented gerbil. Oh well...

thenightsky Mon 16-Oct-17 19:32:34

I have the same issue. Resting misery face. I cannot walk around grinning though... that would be just weird.

Someone took some photos of a group of us in the pub last month. It was a great fun night, best laugh I've had in ages. You wouldn't think it if you looked at my face in all pics I didn't know were being taken sad

PolkaDottyRose Mon 16-Oct-17 19:35:08

I have resting "miserable as sin" face..ugly too..but I'm genuinely extremely happy inside. If one more person tells me to cheer up though I'll punch them. Ahem.

Ummmmgogo Mon 16-Oct-17 19:35:13

I think it's in your heads. I really doubt anyone else is looking at you and thinking you look ugly or like a badger or anything like that!!!! be proud of your faces xxx

SukiTheDog Mon 16-Oct-17 19:35:47

😊. Try to smile “inside” it makes you look less frazzled and cross. That’s what I do when I’m tired to the bone. Am 55 and tired every day though

Bombardier25966 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:40:29

Same here. If I'm not smiling I look dead. Literally. Pasty and very harsh.

I scar small children.

Bombardier25966 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:02

* scare!

Fekko Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:06

I have photos of me standing in the background as someone made a speech I'd written for them.

He went spectacularly off piste and I swear in every photo it looked like I was about to leap on him and maul him. It made an interesting captioned shot for the magazine!

Puppymouse Mon 16-Oct-17 19:48:47

I have this and tend to cringe at photos and video of myself when I’m concentrating or caught unawares. But I can still take a nice photo and appreciate the good features I have.

Furball Mon 16-Oct-17 19:50:30

I am another with a naturally glum face.

You know when other people say 'cheer up it may never happen' when you are just ambling along - and I'm think what? this is just my 'at rest' face, I don't need cheering up.

I am quite envious of folk who have a naturally up cornered mouth, so look like they are really chirpy all the time.

Nandoshoes Mon 16-Oct-17 19:58:40

My face naturally is the worst. Everyone thinks I'm a cold hearted miserable bitch and I don't even have to opene my mouth.

My face is constant frown. I got Botox to hide the lines however still no luck ! Still miserable faced.

Can we start a club ?

MollyHuaCha Mon 16-Oct-17 20:01:21

In photos if I smile I just look like a demented gerbil.

Just laughed out loud at this. winefor you Fekko. wineAnd one for you OP.

BossyBitch Mon 16-Oct-17 20:04:57

I'm okay in a mirror but, OMG, photographs! Jesus be with me (and I'm an atheist)!

I've got the resting bitch face from hell in every one of them - and a death stare that would scare the bejeesus out of a seasoned combat soldier. I recently had to take my portrait taken for work. It took the poor photographer 250 shots to get one that could safely go on our website!

BossyBitch Mon 16-Oct-17 20:06:06

*have my portrait taken, obviously ...

Dustbunny1900 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:12

I HATE having my picture taken randomly to the point where I feel like physically snatching their phone from their hands and stomping on it (or beating them with it?) besides feeling violating, in every candid photo I'm shocked at how pinched an bird-like I look.
It's like hearing your own recorded voice, we have a picture of what we look like in our heads and from the straight in mirror face we see, and it's a bit different than what everyone else sees.

We are also our own harshest critics

mctat Mon 16-Oct-17 20:11:42

I'm 39 next birthday and over the last year I've started to feel exactly the same as you op. Agree the nose to mouth lines are the pits, I've developed one on only one side confused Blame dc and my pre dc lifestyle!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now