Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing shoes?

(9 Posts)
RubbishMantra Mon 16-Oct-17 15:20:21

Anyone ever done this successfully? I bought a pair of boots and am thinking about dyeing them. They're a v. pale light bluey grey, which is really pretty, but will mark like anything. Plus the light colour emphasises my gigantc clown feet. Was thinking navy or darker grey.

I'd be ever so grateful for any tips.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 15:30:51

I've tried a couple of times but never successfully as the dye has always cracked and flaked off in the creases. But I've only ever done it with shoes I'd already worn. It might work better if they're brand new.

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Oct-17 16:10:16

Hmm, they're ruched Flo, so lots of places for the dye to lurk in. I've also waterproofed them already.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 16:16:19

I have to say that doesn't sound promising - sorry. Admittedly I'm a bit of a 'slap it on - right that'll do' kind of person when it comes to things like this and someone more meticulous might make a better job of it. Or is it possible to get them done professionally?

HaHaHmm Mon 16-Oct-17 16:19:55

I did it v successfully with a pair of pale pink suede pumps which had got grubby but I wouldn’t attempt boots myself. Maybe get a quote to get it done professionally.

jelliedeel Mon 16-Oct-17 22:18:33

It's ridiculously expensive to get boots dyed. Try Fiebings dye from Amazon...I dyed some pale brown boots dark brown/black. They turned out darker than expected as I did two coats to get an even coverage as the leather really absorbs the dye immediately.
But my boots were cheap and I hated the colour so no big deal if it went wrong.

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Oct-17 22:31:40

Ah, just remembered they're suede and distressed leather, so they'll probably soak up the colour patchily. They're mid range price wise, ( Moda In Pella) and less than half price in the sale, but I think I'll be gutted if I rain them as they're so purdy...

silkpyjamasallday Tue 17-Oct-17 11:30:18

I'm following with interest, I bought a pair of Acne boots in a tan suede and although I love them I never wear them because they don't go with most of my clothes. If I could dye them black I would be a very happy lady, but I've held off doing it because they were £££ and I don't want to totally ruin them.

RubbishMantra Tue 17-Oct-17 11:34:40

Many years ago, a friend of mine would go in the garage every Friday night and roller his shoes with white emulsion paint. Voila, brand new shoes every week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now