Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

HELP ME. HELP ME AND MY YELLOW AND ORANGE HAIR.

(12 Posts)
yorkshireyummymummy Mon 16-Oct-17 09:11:43

Mr Cock Up has come to visit my house.
Big style.
My hair is now naturally mid brown with approx 50% grey. Not a nice grey. A nasty grey.
I had been home colouring my hair but my hair ended up being stripey. This resulted in my deciding to strip all colour out of it ( natural and unnatural) and srart from scratch.
I bought a home bleaching set and set to work
It worked to a degree. No more brown/ grey hair , blonde on top but changed to an orangy colour on the bottom 40%. The bottom of my hair had previously had a red dye on it. I thought I hadn't left thebleachon long enough to pull all of the red out.
So last night I had another go. Did my roots ( badly as it turns out.they are ok at the front but the back isn't good) and then after ten mins put the remaining bleach InThe ' orange' part of my hair.
Left for 30 mins, rinsed and now I have very blonde roots, patchy blonde roots at the back and a lot of orange hair. I look like a tiger and I don't want to leave the house. Thank god it's hat season.
Luckily I'm a housewife and don't have Togo out.
But what doi do now? Can I remedy this or am I going to have to bite the bullet and go to a hairdresser?? If I do go tithe hairdresser whatwillthey do?
Suggestions/ help would be soooooooapreciated.
Love Tigger.

AnnetteCurtin Mon 16-Oct-17 09:54:02

Aaaargh! I feel your pain. Been there, done that with Ronald McDonald hair. I do my own hair, chopping and colouring and always keep a neutral hair colour in stock just in case. I think you're going to have to plonk your hat on and hit the shops. You might be best off getting a purple conditioner and a semi permanent ashy colour, light ash brown for example. I'm not a hairdresser though but those things work for me. Someone will be along with other ideas to try I'm sure 😊

yorkshireyummymummy Mon 16-Oct-17 13:21:14

Thanks Annette.
I have two colours in the house, a golden blonde and a dark brown.
I just keep looking at myself in the mirror in utter shock. What a mess.
I'm a bit scared to do anything with it in case it drops out! It doesn't feel ' brittle' though.

Squashit Mon 16-Oct-17 14:16:39

I think it is fixable having done similar myself. What you need is a deep rich brown. If you use a neutral brown the blonde bits will wash out with a green hue.

Your best bet is Loreal excellence in mahogany brown. It should be deep enough to cover the mish mash of tones yet red enough to dodge a green bullet. If you want it darker than dark frosted brown (4.15) works well and doesn’t pull black on prelightened hair in my experience.

Davenotdave Mon 16-Oct-17 14:48:01

Have you put a toner on it? I home dye and Mines yellow before I tone it. I use the Jerome Russell one, you can get it in different shades, about £4. Then load on the purple shampoo. Good luck!

yorkshireyummymummy Mon 16-Oct-17 14:56:39

Thanks for the answers.
Can I damage my hair by putting colours on it now? They have no ammonia in so I don't think it can do any harm. And it's cant look any worse. I can't believe how awful it is.

Squashit Mon 16-Oct-17 16:26:32

You are going to need a permanent one. Do a strand test.

Dustbunny1900 Mon 16-Oct-17 16:42:27

BEFORE you do a color over the mishmash of orange/blond, you'll need this gel they make to even out hair porosity and make it take color evenly. Trust me, I just went through this exact situation. Half of it was auburn, the other half a light purple w blond showing through. Go to a salon supply shop, get the protein hair-porosity stuff, comb through hair, then apply dark color.

Or go to a salon

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Mon 16-Oct-17 16:46:28

GO TO A SALON - STEP AWAY FROM THE HOME COLOUR!!!

AdalindSchade Mon 16-Oct-17 16:50:20

Go to a salon!!! And expect to pay £££ for olaplex and whatever else you need to rescue it. Do not put any more colour on yourself!!!

StewPots Mon 16-Oct-17 17:00:46

Sorry OP but it's best to go to a salon to save long term damage to your hair.

I home dyed my hair from dark brown to white blonde in quite a short space of time. I went through the Orange stage too... then I slapped more dye on! It kinda worked for a while but my god the state of my poor hair!

It started breaking and falling out, it was dry, frizzy and was just awful. Ok, you aren't going o the extremes I was, but it will still damage your hair.

To fix it I had to grow most of it out, have my hair cut really short into a pob (not a problem as had the cut loads of times and it suits me) and then have it gradually dyed by a pro hairdresser. I've been getting this done plus Opalex treatments for over a year and I'm only just able to be getting back to darker blondes and lighter browns under the advice and guidance of my fantastic hairdresser.

I would never home dye my hair again, my hair looks and feels amazing now but it's been a costly and long journey to get it back to anything resembling this. I'm happy to say, leave it to the professionals!! smile

SirRaymondLuxuryYacht Mon 16-Oct-17 18:37:06

Maybe try a semi as it's bleached it should work well.
Adore do semis in natural shades as well as fashion colours,cheap on Amazon too.
Plus they contain no peroxide or nasties. Id probably steer clear of permanent dyes for awhile as you've bleached it a couple of times.
It does fade so would need topping up.
I love the Mocha shade in the pic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: