Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Got a problem with poppers on my lovely new coat.

(8 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Mon 16-Oct-17 08:31:04

Just bought a really nice Jigsaw coat. More expensive than I wanted to pay but it is just what I want. I tried it on and pulled up the zip - perfect. At home I put it on to show dh and went on to pop the poppers to finish the closing procedure. However, the poppers are not the normal ones. There is a small button that pops into a circle with an indentation. You need to have the strength of Samson to pop it in. Once it is in it is a real problem to get it out. I had to stand in front of dh like a two year old as he managed to extract the popped up popper. Has anyone else encountered these type of poppers and will they get easier as they are used? I am concerned that all the pulling open will damage the material. I really don’t want to return the coat as I love it. Would be grateful for any advice.

botemp Mon 16-Oct-17 09:36:43

Is it the metal ones that look vaguely njpple like? I avoid those like the plague as they either become defunct with use or you end up damaging the fabric or stitchings with the force needed to unfasten them and you usually end up ruining your nails in the process. If you can still return it I would, though I would add that on a lighter material like a rain- or a down coat they work better, it's the heavier wools they really seem to struggle with.

Floisme Mon 16-Oct-17 12:11:18

I get that you love it want to keep it. However I think putting poppers rather than proper buttons and button holes on an expensive coat is really taking the piss.

If it was me, I would contact Jigsaw about it and, if at all possible, take it into a branch and show them (even if it meant travelling). There may be a malfunction going on or it may be a fault in the design but at least if you raise it with them now, you have some comeback if it does get damaged further down the line.

HappydaysArehere Tue 17-Oct-17 08:54:55

Floisme that is a very good idea. I found their email online and have written to them and am hoping I get a reply. The coat closes with a zip but the “flaps” which overlap the zip close with these stupid poppers. I bought it in John Lewis but will look up jigsaw shops to find the nearest one. In any case I will get back to John Lewis which is a bit of a journey to see what they say. Looking at the internet their storm puffer jackets are fitted with “contemporary” poppers. Can’t believe other people are not finding them a real problem. Thank you again. I hope to hear from jigsaw soon and I will let you know what they say.

SingaSong12 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:59:46

There are a number of really nice jackets I’ve had to forgo just because of this issue. If they have to use poppers why can’t they make them work relatively easily?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 17-Oct-17 11:45:57

You can buy little poppers for clothing in craft shops. Maybe sew a few on the inside of the flap just to keep it flat and don't use the industrial strength ones at all?
That's what I'd do if it was a coat I loved. It's really disappointing though, I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
No one wants to have to wrestle their coat off or ask someone else to wrench it apart, that's absurd.

HappydaysArehere Tue 17-Oct-17 19:36:48

Thank you ILostin that is something that I haven't thought of. I am going to look at this as a possible solution. Its just that I have been looking for a coat for some time and this one was exactly what I wanted. I was so pleased until I tried the poppers at home. I paid a lot more than I intended as it is so nice and the midnight green colour is lovely. SingaSong, thanks for replying. I have had so many coats with normal poppers that it didn't occur to me to look at them and just did the zip up and turned the flap over! Wont make that mistake again. still waiting for Jigsaw customer services to reply.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 17-Oct-17 20:20:09

Glad you liked my idea! It's just an annoying fiddly sewing job.

I must admit I saw "Got a problem with poppers.." and thought this was a different thread entirely. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: