Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How to make hair dye last longer

(12 Posts)
Miz10 Sun 15-Oct-17 23:16:46

Hi Hoping Someone can help?
I am 36 and have been going grey for years, lately though I am having to dye my hair every 2 weeks to keep my grey covered. I have tried loads of different dyes, box sets ones from the wholesales root touch ups And nothing lasts longer than 2 weeks. Can anyone advise me of any longer lasting hair colours please, or of any natural products that I can use that will be better for my hair as I'm worried about dying it so often .?

ScaryMary81 Sun 15-Oct-17 23:19:34

Would love to know this too.

Badcat666 Sun 15-Oct-17 23:42:08

Not sure if this will help as it's not a hair dye but I use WoW hair powder to cover my grey in between dyeing it, bloody godsend. Means I can just cover the grey bits without subjecting it to dyes every few weeks.

www.colorwowhair.com/uk/root-cover-up

Also my hairdresser recommended buying semi permanent colour to use with your conditioner. I normally have red hair and use Manic Panic as they have vibrant reds. Basically just add a blob to your conditioner (use gloves!) leave it in for how ever long you leave your conditioner on for and rinse out, helps the colour last longer and disguises the roots a bit longer.

Applebei Sun 15-Oct-17 23:48:49

L'Oréal do a spray cover up. You can find it in boots or Superdrug.

Using more natural dyes means the roots don't show as harshly as with box dyes (don't ask me why but it's true). I recommend Daniel field watercolours.

If you have dry hair give up using shampoo and co wash (wash using conditioner only) and use one with no parabens or silicone. Much gentler on your hair. If you have hair that gets greasy easily you may not be able to do this but it works for the dry haired among us!

Nandoshoes Sun 15-Oct-17 23:52:23

What shampoo and conditioner do you use ? If it's anything anti dandruff or head and shoulders you will have major fade.

What colour do you dye it over the grey ?

I dye my white blonde hair black so i have major growth every two weeks or so aswell !

falange Mon 16-Oct-17 00:00:58

Apart from using the root touch ups there is no dye that will last longer to stop grey showing so quickly. It’s the growth not the hair dye. The only solution is to go gradually lighter so the growth isn’t as obvious

LaCerbiatta Mon 16-Oct-17 00:03:40

If it's not roots showing from hair growth but actual dading then try hairdresser permanent dyes. I really rate Inoa.

WhyDidIEatThat Mon 16-Oct-17 00:33:20

You could try mixing the colour (without developer) with a little water and applying to your dry hair, leave it for 15 minutes or so then apply more colour (but mixed with the developer this time) and leave for the usual time.

NeonSun Mon 16-Oct-17 06:01:47

I hada huge experience with hair dyeing too and sadly as I understood nothing can be done with this problem except washing your head as rare as possible after every dyeing sad And the brand for hair dyer means nothing in this case, I tried many of them too, including really expensive ones but I always got the same result sad

Stevie77 Mon 16-Oct-17 10:17:25

Happens to me too, and it’s not hair growth because it happens within a week oh dyeing.

My mum’s hairdresser mentioned about the dye with no developer trick, but I’ve not tried it.

wowfudge Mon 16-Oct-17 10:31:37

I've started going lighter and having colour done at the hairdresser's. My roots are far less obvious now and I have a scattering of highlights too.

WhyDidIEatThat Mon 16-Oct-17 14:25:39

I think it’s called smoothing or something like that, check which whatever dye you use but what works for me is to put on a shade somewhere anywhere between my grey and the final colour I’m aiming at (5/1 for me, sort of ashy dark brown), don’t rinse it off, just sort of dab at it then stick the colour+developer (1:1 ratio) mix on top. I use koleston perfect and it’s so much cheaper than ready boxed dye, can touch up roots multiple times from one tube and the developer just seems to last forever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: