Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

DIY eyebrow and eyelash tinting

(14 Posts)
packofshunts Sun 15-Oct-17 10:01:34

Seem to spend a fortune of having my eyelashes and brows tinted regularly.

Realise it’s a probably a hell of a lot cheaper to do it myself but am nervous

packofshunts Sun 15-Oct-17 10:04:27

Oops posted to soon

Am very wary of doing it myself especially my lashes as know only too well how much it stings if any of the tint gets in your eyes.

Any suggestions/advice welcome

packofshunts Sun 15-Oct-17 15:38:32

Bump?

Montacute Sun 15-Oct-17 15:47:43

I tint my own brows using Refectocil but I pay someone else to do my lashes as that's a fiddlier job.

ParadiseLaundry Sun 15-Oct-17 15:53:51

It use the hair dye when I dye my hair. Im sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me it's a really bad idea and something i shouldn't do but it always turns out ok and is essentially free.

ParadiseLaundry Sun 15-Oct-17 15:54:26

I probably wouldn't try to do my eyelashes with it mind you!

Textpectation Sun 15-Oct-17 16:04:34

I use Eyelure or Coloursport diy kit every month. I use a mascara brush rather the implement provided. Do a patch test 24 hours before.

HeyMacWey Mon 16-Oct-17 06:39:52

I use the refectocil.

Dead easy to apply and works really well.
I only do my eyelashes as my brows don't need it. I apply it using a small paint brush.

packofshunts Mon 16-Oct-17 10:33:01

Thanks for replies. Not sure which colour to get now as normally have blue black on eyelashes but a dark brown on brows.
Would look v weird if I had black brows!

Textpectation Mon 16-Oct-17 18:59:41

I use blue black on my eyebrows and lashes. I'd go for brown for your first time.

mayhew Mon 16-Oct-17 19:07:38

I had it done once in a salon but do it myself now. I do it better!

mycatsmellsnice Mon 16-Oct-17 19:16:39

Been doing my own eyelashes and eyebrows for 25 years now. Like a pp upthread I used to use an old mascara brush other than the stick think that comes in the pack. However the last pack I bought (whichever is available at the chemist) had a mascara type brush with it.

Handy tip, whilst you're doing it keep a damp cotton wool bud and piece of cotton wool at the ready to immediately wipe away any dye that gets into your eye or on your skin.

I can't believe how much beauticians charge for it. One pack lasts me about a year and I do mine every 2 weeks or so.

thelonggame Mon 16-Oct-17 19:23:22

another one here for Refectocil.
I bought a kit from Amazon for about £12.
I'm blonde and use blue/black on my eyelashes, never do my brows.
A great tip I was given is to use an eyeliner brush to paint vasalene on the skin around your eyes to prevent the dye colouring your skin.

DarkBlueEyes Mon 16-Oct-17 19:24:28

DO NOT USE HAIR DYE! You could blind yourself. Get the refectocil. I do my own eyebrows but not sure how you could do your lashes as you need to keep your eyes closed. I can only close my right eye independently of my left eye, not the other way round (weird, huh?) so couldn't do my right eyelashes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: