Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about wearing bold lipstick in the daytime.

(95 Posts)
stoplickingthetelly Sun 15-Oct-17 09:38:16

I often wear bright or bolder lipstick for a rare night out, but never in the daytime. I struggle with nudes; they make me look like the undead so tend to wear a pinky nude during the day. I love my bolder lipsticks, but for some reason feel really self conscious wearing them in the daytime and feel like everyone is looking at me. They're probably not and it's just in my imagination. I would love to wear them more because I'm getting bored of the nudes. Would love to hear from all of you rocking the bold lip during the daytime. Do you feel self conscious at all?

Trills Sun 15-Oct-17 09:44:47

When you see someone with bold lipstick, you can't tell if they are feeling self-conscious or if they do it all the time.

You assume they are brave and self-confident.

That's what people will assume of you.

botemp Sun 15-Oct-17 09:53:46

Tone everything else down, so a light base that still shows your own skin but evens out your complexion. Mascara on bottom or top lashes, never both, and use a lengthening formula rather than volumising. Tightligner or a very slim eyeliner if preferred but no obvious flicks, etc. Light blush that can easily be mistaken for your natural flush, or in the brown rose colour, or none at all. No contour or bronzer unless you're really talented with making it invisible to the eye. Special care WRT undereye concealer but it should be colouring with your skin rather than lighter/highlighting. Finish with a Belle Mine type powder to lift complexion without any glitters/sparkles, etc.

Nope never self conscious, I honestly forget it's there. If you need to lean into it I suggest going with matte finishes at first or blotting with tissues, of all the bolds red is funnily enough the safest so a good one to start with. Mistakes are more easily detected in daylight so use of a lipliner (I use it all over the lip for longevity) is recommended.

Trills Sun 15-Oct-17 09:59:39

a light base that still shows your own skin but evens out your complexion

This is the only base you should ever wear for "real life", IMO (as opposed to makeup you wear specifically for photos). Your skin should look like skin.

Ryebreadandwine Sun 15-Oct-17 10:04:25

If you're anything like me, I like to spend as little time as possible putting on my makeup. I always wear a bold lipstick. I'm pale and don't wear a lot of makeup. I put on a light foundation or tinted moisturiser. A good mascara and a little brush of blusher that's close to my natural colouring. Then lipstick. That's it. Your confidence will come with wearing it and finding the right colour for you. Go for it.

Maudlinmaud Sun 15-Oct-17 10:07:48

I wear bold lip colour a lot. I'm not particularly confident. I think the key is toning other areas down, so a nude eye with a bold lip. At the moment I'm wearing a colour that is very close to my natural lip colour and I like the look. It's nyx soft spoken but with a liner it looks really good. Sometimes I put a metallic gloss over it.

botemp Sun 15-Oct-17 10:42:02

I do agree, Trills, but not everyone feels like they have that luxury due to skin conditions (though obviously spot concealing per the Lisa Eldridge method would be preferable in those cases) and some just like the full coverage look. I may not like the look of it in real life either and have had to swallow a wince from being suddenly confronted with such a full face that's hard to register as a living, breathing, human sometimes but at the end of the day it's their face, their choice. If they like it or if that's what it requires to make someone feel at ease with themselves and their skin it's not my place to judge beyond it not being my aesthetic of choice, I feel anyhow. I'll happily take issue with the forces that compound those insecurities for their own gains but not the individuals that it affects.

I do think there are ramifications for exhibiting such a high standard of perfection as perpetrated on Social Media which is distorting what people consider desirable/good skin these days and how that translates to real life but that's probably another discussion altogether.

MaryLennoxsScowl Sun 15-Oct-17 10:57:00

I do it - it makes me feel more pulled together with very little effort. You need to top it up, worn-off bright lippy is much more noticeable than natural shades. A reasonably bare face with bright lipstick is a great look - I agree that adding it to a very done face is too much. I don't agree with only putting mascara on one set of lashes, but I have very pale lashes that need mascara to be visible. Try something like Clinique chubby stick in tomato first if you're nervous, it's like a tinted lip balm but with more coverage.

stoplickingthetelly Sun 15-Oct-17 11:07:42

Great advice. Thanks ladies. I've got fairly good skin so prefer a lighter base anyway, but with 2 young children who are not the world's best sleepers I definitely need some under eye concealer. I am usually a fan of bronzer so will give that a miss and have got a nice stila cream blusher so will dig that out. Trills off to look up the finishing powder you recommended because my current bobbi brown one is a bit sparkly. Going to go for it today! Thanks everyone.

stoplickingthetelly Sun 15-Oct-17 11:08:36

Sorry, the finishing powder that botemp recommended

Trills Sun 15-Oct-17 11:09:35

If you like the finishing powder it's botemp you should give the credit to smile

Hope you have a great day with your lipstick grin

MaudAndOtherPoems Sun 15-Oct-17 11:14:58

I'm a recent convert to lipstick. I used to tend towards the made up eyes and nothing on the lips look, but I've realised that, as I've aged, I look better with minimal eye make-up and bolder lipstick.

botemp Sun 15-Oct-17 11:18:58

I didn't recommend a specific one, it's just a class of powder types. I also managed to mess up the name, it's Bonne Mine.

Most of the French giants will have a version. Chanel Les Beiges is the classic one, Givenchy is also good and I think Laura Mercier also does one.

stoplickingthetelly Sun 15-Oct-17 11:49:24

Great, thank you all. Do you all wear your bold lipstick when you're just running about - dropping kids at school, popping to supermarket etc or just for work? Or somewhere nice?

MaudAndOtherPoems Sun 15-Oct-17 12:10:52

I came home from holiday this year resolving to be more French, so now wear lipstick whenever I wear make-up, so going to work, going out to meet friends and so on but not on days like today when I'm doing some DIY and digging the garden.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 15-Oct-17 14:40:36

I wear red lipstick pretty much every day -if not, it's a very occasional hot pink. I don't wear much else (light foundation, a bit of blusher, nude eyeshadow, mascara) but somehow it always makes me look "done" and it's kind of my trademark. I started in my mid 20s when I suddenly developed horrible cystic acne - bright lipstick drew the eye away from it - and am now early 40s and have never looked back. (Although thankfully the acne is gone!)

Greyboot Sun 15-Oct-17 14:54:01

I like lipstick but my lips either end up feeling dry or it ends up on my teeth.
I'm looking more washed out these days (at 48) and feel it does improve my look and how I feel.
Any recommendations please?
How do I know what suits me best?

Montacute Sun 15-Oct-17 15:12:49

Put the lipstick on and walk out the front door. After 7 mins you'll stop feeling self conscious. And no, you don't need to tone down the rest of your makeup either.

whitehandledkitchenknife Sun 15-Oct-17 17:03:02

Back in the day, I wore a bright red lipstick daily. Then, when the wrinkles arrived, I lost a bit of confidence and it tended to be worn only on high days and holidays. I'm now much older and channelling my inner Dot Cotton and back to wearing the red, instead of safe nudes all the time.
Thoroughly recommend Clinique's Intense in Broadest Berry for a quick and easy way to get colour without hassle.
I don't wear anything else.
Have a go, be confident and enjoy yourself.

MaudAndOtherPoems Sun 15-Oct-17 17:06:19

Greyboot - I think either a makeover at one of the counters in a department store - I usually gravitate towards Clarins - or trial and error until you find something you like. I'm quite pale with grey eyes and am currently favouring an orangey kind of red. It's semi-sheer so doesn't require quite as much courage as the full letterbox red.

stoplickingthetelly Sun 15-Oct-17 17:18:26

Going to check out Clinique. Thanks for the tips everyone. Today I wore a liquid lipstick by maybelline. One of the 24hour ones in a raspberry shade. I did really like, but haven't been far.

userofthiswebsite Sun 15-Oct-17 17:28:54

I do. I'm deathly pale and a bold lipstick, like a dark pink, or bright red makes me look less dead. Blush is also my hero.

BusterGonad Sun 15-Oct-17 17:41:10

With a bold lipstick in a berry shade you do need to conceal tiny imperfections as they show up redness, I use a small brush and just go over these areas (around nose, under eyes, spots) I love a bold lipstick and wear them all the time regardless of where I'm going. At the moment for day time I tend to wear Bourjois rouge velvet edition (mat fluid) as it stays in place, for evenings out I wear normal lipsticks as I can top up easily. I like fuchsia's, reds, and Berry shades.

botemp Sun 15-Oct-17 18:33:22

Buster, may I ask which colours do you have from Bourjois? I remember when they just came out I was eyeing up the Ole Flamingo even though I usually don't gravitate to hot pinks that often but I remember it being different in a good way but it was perpetually sold out and I'd kind of forgotten about it since. Wondering which ones are your favourite from them now that the hype has long died down. Is the lasting power any good for the duration of the day, or rather does it survive lunch without a top up?

FlorenceLyons Sun 15-Oct-17 18:41:45

Maud - what is your orangey red semi-sheer lipstick? I'm looking for exactly that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now