Talk

Advanced search

How much would you spend on a winter coat?

(29 Posts)
KimchiLaLa Sat 14-Oct-17 23:42:38

I usually buy a new winter coat every year. I don't always buy new seasonal clothes at all but I get a lot of wear out of my coats so I'm ok buying a new one and then selling the old on eBay. Usual budget normally £100 or less. How much would you normally spend on a new coat?

Orangebird69 Sat 14-Oct-17 23:45:11

Anything up to £200ish. I'm over 6ft so have to pay through the nose for most things to fit me anyway... I'd expect a couple of winters wear out of it for that money though.

CalmanOnSpeeddial Sat 14-Oct-17 23:48:52

I tend to buy in sales so 100 to 150 for a decent quality wool coat. If I needed a new work-quality coat urgently then I might have to go up to 200-300 but it would hurt.
Eg this kind of thing
m.johnlewis.com/hobbs-diane-coat-teal-grey/p3326046

Want2beme Sat 14-Oct-17 23:49:55

Coats and jackets are my favourite things to buy. I'd probably pay up to £200, if it was something special. Have you seen something you like?

grasspigeons Sat 14-Oct-17 23:52:13

I have a proper wet weather kinda hiking coat, which was £80 and is on its 4th year.
And I have a black 'work' winter coat which was £50 -and we are on year 3.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 14-Oct-17 23:54:51

Roughly £400 on a hardcore Canada Goose. But it is consistently -20 and below between November and March

oldlaundbooth Sat 14-Oct-17 23:56:09

Spent £400 on a coat but it's last me four years so far.

Won't buy another one for a while.

KimchiLaLa Sun 15-Oct-17 00:09:22

I'll be honest I've seen two that I like - both completely different and both (just) under £100, so I'm wondering if I can buy both. Only thing is last year's coat is so popular loads of people are selling it on eBay so I don't think I'll make my money back from it.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 15-Oct-17 00:54:24

I always have 4 or 5 coats on the go. £400/£600 each & much more on leather jackets

CookieDoughKid Sun 15-Oct-17 01:02:51

£595 on my last coat which was a heavily discounted Burberry winter military style coat which is a cashmere wool mix. It's timeless, utterly elegant and screams sophistication. Every time I wear it people ask about it. I buy a handful of quality designer items a year but hardly ever clothes shop.

CantChoose Sun 15-Oct-17 07:18:57

Surely this says more about someone’s income than any coat?
I usually spend about £100. I would spend a fair bit more but I’m terrible at controlling my weight so it fluctuates lots so they usually only last me a year. By the time I’ve lost weight / gained weight in the cycle the coats look dated sad

CantChoose Sun 15-Oct-17 07:19:57

cookie I’m very jealous - both of your coat and your shopping habits in general!

MaverickSnoopy Sun 15-Oct-17 07:46:15

Low budget but want something of quality that is warm and will last. My last winter coat was purchased on eBay - price in shop £200 and price on eBay £65, works for me. Coat had previously been worn a couple of times and arrived in immaculate condition.

LuchiMangsho Sun 15-Oct-17 07:49:11

I don't buy coats every year. I buy a waterproof light, waterproof and warm, gilet, wool coat and down coat in rotation every few years. I haven't bought a down coat in 4-5 years but my current one will last another year. I bought a wool coat for the first time in 5 years this year- spent 150 on it. The other 3 are also replaced every 3-5 years and I spend again roughly 100 pounds on it.

VeryPunny Sun 15-Oct-17 07:50:50

I have a smart wool coat from John Lewis, cost about £150 several years ago. Pale colour, wish I had bought camel coloured but it fits well. I have a down long coat for very cold weather from Uniqlo, which cost about £70 last year, and a wool parka which came from Barbour and cost £250. That’s my most used coat, as it’s warm and not overly formal, so I don’t mind spending a bit on it.

Xmasbaby11 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:54:48

About £100 but probably every 3 years.

cheeseandcrackers Sun 15-Oct-17 08:01:12

I would spend up to about £150 on a good coat but it would last me years, I've just realised my lovely North Face waterproof coat and my black wool coat are both over 10 years old but don't look any older than when I bought them

otherdoor Sun 15-Oct-17 08:03:27

Probably about £150, but they tend to last me a while. Usually at least three years.

pigeondujour Sun 15-Oct-17 08:16:02

My hardcore winter parka was a present that was just over £500 but this will be its third winter and I expect at least two or three more from it if I don't gain too much weight in that time. I've got another warm heavy, fleece-lined pullover jacket that was £120 last year, plus a mid weight technical rainjacket that was also £120 maybe three years ago. For work I have a wool coat that was £70 seven years ago.

JaceLancs Sun 15-Oct-17 09:10:41

£400 - but usually less as I wait for offers and sales
I like jaeger wool coats and have a few in different colours

Floisme Sun 15-Oct-17 09:50:47

I've got quite a few but they're mostly second hand / vintage, costing between £10 and £60. If I'm buying new, it normally means I either want something very specific or I'm smitten so I'll pay as much as I can afford. I think the most I've paid was $350 (around £250 at the time) in Trash and Vaudeville but that was about 15 years ago. (I've still got it.) These days I'd probably go up to £400 or even £500 if it was absolutely spot on but I would have to save up or go shopping cold turkey afterwards. I expect 5 years absolute minimum.

Hellywelly10 Sun 15-Oct-17 10:05:57

Last coat is bought was £100.

CountFosco Sun 15-Oct-17 10:22:57

Surely it depends on salary? I'd probably spend up to £200 on a wool coat. I've got a leather coat that was heavily discounted in the sale so I got it for under £100 but would pay more (probably up to £350ish) for another one now I know how much I wear it. Not that I have immediate plans to do that!

Floisme Sun 15-Oct-17 11:00:24

It's about income plus also, I think, about how much you prioritise a coat over other clothing. I have a friend who earns a lot more than me but who only buys cheap and cheerful coats because they're not really her thing plus they have a dog that trashes them and she doesn't seem to feel the cold. But she'll spend far more than I would on a knockout dress (and not let the dog near it).

About half my son's friends don't own a coat at all and yes, that's partly because they're skint but also partly - I've asked them - because they'd never wear it cos 'it would get in the way'. (I didn't dare ask what that meant.)

I was probably the same when I was young but now, the older I get, the more I like them. They're one of the few items - other than my specs - that I'd do some serious saving up for.

BulletFox Sun 15-Oct-17 11:14:25

Kimchi once a year for coats? That seems quite frequent to me, do they just wear out quickly?

I have a really heavy cotton Alberto Ferretti one which is my favourite, got it for £60 guess 8 years ago. The lining is torn but it's a beautiful coat albeit cream so needs frequent washing but it's really durable.

@Cookie your coat sounds lovely.

Depends on budget really, if I needed one I'd try to set money aside for it but I just like my 3 (actually all of them are years old) and would wait until they'd 'expired' as such (falling to pieces) to bin them.

I'm not answering your OP question, a few hundred depending on budget. Less than a hundred if money were tight.

Why do you need to change every year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now