Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Sports bra suggestions

(21 Posts)
Jolonglegs Sat 14-Oct-17 10:03:27

I've been jogging for a while and need to renew my aging sports bra. I take a 38D so need good support, and I'm not keen on lots of bounce. Looking at previous threads, the Panache Sports Bra seems to be reccomended. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks

AnguaResurgam Sat 14-Oct-17 10:08:51

I had the Panache and was very happy with it.

AuntieStella Sat 14-Oct-17 10:10:33

For running, you might want to try a Shock Absorber, but see if you can find a nearby stockist and try them on. I found their sizing to be quite unlike other brands. But once you've worked out what fits, they are very good (and sizing seems to be true across the different bras in the range)

Polkadotties Sat 14-Oct-17 10:11:36

I've got the panache bra, the underwired one. I love it, I ride at least 5 times a week. Much better then the shock absorber run bra I used to wear

Lexilooo Sat 14-Oct-17 10:13:22

I have a Freya sports active bra - love it and would recommend it. The shock absorber was a very funny shape I found.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sat 14-Oct-17 10:13:38

Firstly make sure you're in the correct size. There's many a bra intervention thread on here where women have been wearing 38 bands and should be 34 or less...

Boob or Bust gives a good online guide.

My current favourite is a Nike high impact bra, but I swap and change depending on distance and what ever takes my fancy! Shock absorber ultimate run is good, too.

FairfaxAikman Sat 14-Oct-17 10:13:59

Shock Absorber do a running-specific bra and it’s the best I’ve ever used - stood lateral movement as well as vertical.

RandomUsernameHere Sat 14-Oct-17 10:16:55

Nike high impact are good for running, but check which one you are buying as they look very similar to to the ones that are only suitable for low impact sports

IheartCaptainHolt Sat 14-Oct-17 10:44:33

I second shock absorber for running and riding. It’s great. Breastfeeding at the moment so I’m a 36 H and it cope fine.

NikiBabe Sat 14-Oct-17 12:35:25

Panache is rubbish as is every sport bra that has an underwire. Sport bras are supposed to compress and if it has a wire the fabric has to bevel outwards so wont compress as much. A bra fitter told me this and warned me off panache.

Ive found this to be very good.

And this

MissSmiley Sat 14-Oct-17 12:37:23

Shock absorber for running.
I’m 32F but you do need to try on.

KatharinaRosalie Sat 14-Oct-17 15:17:42

Shock absorber run. I agree that the sizing is not consistent with most other brands though, you want to try several on.

And measure if you are a 38D or a M&S fitted 38D

userofthiswebsite Sat 14-Oct-17 15:41:30

Shock absorber - Level 4 - there is a Run version but I don't like it as much as the Max Impact Level 4 one.

marriednotdead Mon 16-Oct-17 20:54:07

Wired sports bras don't work on the compression principle though @NikiBabe so I fear you've been given incomplete and inaccurate information.
They are designed to individually encapsulate the breasts and hold them in place. Some breasts, especially those with more projection and a smaller root or those that are very firm, will not be compressed!

The Panache sports bra works really well for those people it suits- including both of my sisters- but ultimately the best sports bra is the one that is comfortable and allows the least breast movement smile

Jolonglegs Thu 19-Oct-17 15:35:42

A friend called round for coffee this morning, and she also uses the Shock Absorber Run, so I think I'll try that. Thanks to all for the advice.

thenightsky Thu 19-Oct-17 15:41:26

I'm a 34 DD or E (depending on time of month). I've been through loads of sports bras over the years and have settled on the Shock absorber level 4 (not the run version) Its the one with padded shoulder straps. Also, this amazing Enell one Nothing moves in an Enell, I can tell you that!

GemmaB78 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:44:18

Yep, shock absorber run is great. I won't use anything else.

Lilmisskittykat Thu 19-Oct-17 18:43:27

I’ve used shock absorbers for years. I was advised to go down a cup size for compression - works for me can’t train without it

Lesley1980 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:03:27

m.johnlewis.com/shock-absorber-fuller-cup-sports-bra/p106649

I really like this bra. I bought it last minute as my usual one was out of stock for 3 weeks and I prefer it. I'm a 38G and I find it really stops the bounce.

hoyhoy44 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:38:44

i find shock absorber the best although worth looking around for the best deals, i have over past few years tried a few cheaper alternatives from amazon which work just as well at a fraction of price
just type in SYROKAN and they have a few different styles

Jolonglegs Sun 22-Oct-17 10:09:15

I'm just back from a run wearing my new Shock Absorber Run bra, and its great. I'm glad I tried several on in the shop, as I ended up in the next cup size down. Thanks again for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: