Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy size 42L or 44K bras?

(19 Posts)
Waytroze Fri 13-Oct-17 01:29:57

I'm trying to buy bras for my mum and I'm a bit stuck. Using Bra Guru's measuring technique, she comes up as a 40M or 42L.

She hates shopping so I'm trying to find bras to replace the tired 44F bras she is currently wearing, for ones that fit properly.

So far, she's tried on bras in Debenhams (biggest bra they had in store was a 40H, nowhere big enough in the cup or band) and 3 Daisy style bras from Simply Be in 2 different sizes. The 42L was best fit. The 40L ones were too tight round, and the cup was too small. They didn't have a bigger cup size in a 40 back but the 42 was snug anyway, so I'm not convinced that a bigger cup would have sorted the band issue.

The lace in the Simply Be bras was too stretchy to adequately hold up the weight of her boobs, so while the 42L looked to be about the right size, it wasn't the right bra for her.

The Goddess make looks good, but after converting the US sizes to UK, they are too small.

I've found some Elomi bras on Figleaves that are a little small in the cup, but look more supportive than the Simply Be bras so may be the next thing I will get her to try.

Anywhere or other brands I can try ordering for her please? She wants underwired. I want it to fit her better than what she has currently. Bravissimo doesn't go beyond a 40 back. House of Fraser/Debenhams/John Lewis/M&S don't stock anything suitable. Heeeeeeelp!

ilovecherries Fri 13-Oct-17 06:32:12

Have you tried here www.ewa-michalak.pl ? I know it's a Polish company but the blogger Georgina Cox from Fuller Figure Fuller Bust promotes them a lot, and I know someone who actually bought a very cheap day return flight to Poland to buy bras there, and said they were excellent. I think they go up to a 60P, and will walk you through the measurements you need to take over the phone, and (I think?!) even look at fit etc over Skype. The prices are in Polish zolty so don't panic when you look at them!

ilovecherries Fri 13-Oct-17 06:43:05

The actual website looks like it's a hangover from 1998, and it's impossible to search, but I believe at one time they even did custom sizes at very reasonable prices, so def worth contacting them.

AvengingGerbil Fri 13-Oct-17 06:56:49

Www.amplebosom.co.uk - extremely helpful if you phone them up. Big range, many sizes.

ilovecherries Fri 13-Oct-17 07:17:56

I think it's amplebosum.com rather than .co.uk. I forgot about them though, and they've def upped their game recently, their early marketing used to be eye wateringly awful. They do have several wired and unwired bras in your mums size - nearly £100 though, but sometimes it's worth it just to be wearing the right size.

FinallyHere Fri 13-Oct-17 07:55:55

As someone who hated tthe whole experience of buying bras (worst of all shopping experiences) I would encourage you to try R&P just once. It is a truly lovely experience with none of the hazards which have made shopping for a bra so horrible for me. No matter what size you need, they will have a range of bras to try on. They do offer customisation, too but you can be sure they will have something for you.

Not cheap, but oh, so worth it, because, well, you are worth it. Book an appointment for a fitting, I find first thing at the weekend is usually quiet and just revel in the experience of enjoyment as you buy a bar. They always offer lovely coffee, or a glass of fizz, can't sayI've even even tried them. Just being offered a range of bras, in a promising size, without being 'measured' removes all of my pet hates of being 'amply proportioned'. I do seriously ❤️ rigbyandpeller.com

FinallyHere Fri 13-Oct-17 07:56:40

[waves to ilovecherries]

ForTheLoveOfSleep Fri 13-Oct-17 08:13:18

Simply Be

ForTheLoveOfSleep Fri 13-Oct-17 08:13:55

nvm blush

ilovecherries Fri 13-Oct-17 08:30:28

Waves back smile. My very first properly fitting bra was an R&P one. It was ice blue satin and lace. Was in London for a meeting, and booked an appt. I nearly cried when the woman brought me a SELECTION. I was braced for them being snooty and horrible, and they could not have been nicer. It was a revelation not to be in a M&S sizing any more, and she taught me what a properly fitting bra should look and feel like, and the type of bras I should consider so I could look elsewhere in the future. I think I paid about £60, 25 years ago, and it was worth every penny.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 13-Oct-17 08:49:19

M & S put me in a 42B. I went crying to R & P who fitted me as a 36F. So worth it!

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 13-Oct-17 08:51:38

OP, have you tried some of those "frumpy clothes for elder people" websites or catalogues? They often do large back and cup bras - makes like Miss Mary of Sweden, or Triumph's Doreen.

polyhymnia Fri 13-Oct-17 14:16:33

Rigby and Peller every time!

Bombardier25966 Fri 13-Oct-17 19:55:02

Rigby and Peller don't go up to a 42L, although if you ring them they might be able to give some suggestions.

polyhymnia Fri 13-Oct-17 22:17:45

They certainly do sell bras larger than that as I buy them regularly. Maybe it's just their own brand which doesn't but the stock lots of others. I always have Prima Donna, which you can see on their site.

polyhymnia Fri 13-Oct-17 22:19:40

Oops, just reread your post and, though I'm 100% sure about R and P doing 42+ I'm not about them going up to L . Sorry.

DianaT1969 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:25:03

I've never used them, but might a bra extender work for 40 bands where the cup fits well? I've seen them on sale in the haberdashery section of some department stores. As it's only 1-2 inches required, the straps might still sit comfortably in the correct place.

DianaT1969 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:26:40

Krisline is a Polish brand to try.

fridgepants Sat 14-Oct-17 10:02:36

Doreen skips double cup sizes - their largest cup is a K which would be a GG/H in standard UK sizing.

Have you had a look at some of the catalogues for plus sized women? They tend to go bigger on the back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now