Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Does shellac just not agree with some people?

(21 Posts)
GatherlyGal Thu 12-Oct-17 10:26:15

I love shellaced nails but I don't seem to be able to have them done without my nails being totally ruined for months afterwards.

I have had them done (and varnish removed) somewhere really good and tried religiously oiling nails multiple times a day but it doesn't make much difference.

My nails are generally healthy and good so I don't need to varnish but I do love shiny new polish!

Does anyone do vinylux on fingers? Does it last?

SloanePeterson Thu 12-Oct-17 10:29:50

Shellac ruined my nails but like a fool I went back three times, all after a good many months break for them to recover. It chipped like hell as well. I tried gellish which lasted much better, but still ended up with shredded nails underneath. I won't touch the stuff howl, which is a shame as I did like the look of them, I only ever went for a neutral shade and it made me feel a bit more 'done'. But I'll take strong bare nails over the tattered nails I was left with.

dontquotemeondailymail Thu 12-Oct-17 10:52:02

My nails used to be awful with shellac but I love the ease of it, particularly on holiday or over Christmas. So now I treat myself to it on those occasions but make sure I have them soaked off properly. Then for days/weeks/however long after I religiously use a nail strengthener, and file, buff & polish my nails. If I keep at it, my nails are back to normal in no time.

It's a faff, but for me, 2-3 times a year, it's worth it.

I've looked at wraps, but my fingers are really tiny and they're all a very odd fit on me.

minipie Thu 12-Oct-17 10:58:47

Ah so it's not just me. My nails are a flaky mess after shellac. Never ever been flaky before. Toenails seem ok so I'll stick to that from now on.

GatherlyGal Thu 12-Oct-17 11:13:34

I agree Sloane healthy natural nails beats 2 weeks of them looking lovely then 3 months of them broken and flaky!

Minipie don't start me on toenails! They are a yellowy disgrace once I take the polish off! Don't mind that so much though as they aren't on show.

suchatiredbunny Thu 12-Oct-17 11:18:24

Mine are they same, they take months to recover if I have shellac, no matter how much I look after them.

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Oct-17 11:20:07

I think a lot of it is down to how they are removed. Too much buffing of the nail (or God forbid actual filing) will damage nails.

AuntyElle Thu 12-Oct-17 11:46:42

Did they remove the top layer of your natural nail before applying? (by filing) This is where the damage comes in ime. CND shellac is meant to be applied with zero or very minimal buffing. It so depends on the skill of the nail technician.

SloanePeterson Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:16

Yes my nails were filed. It shocked me tbh, but it was my friend who applied it at her salon and I trusted her to do it correctly and I knew no better. It seems such a stupid thing to do, to actually file the whole nail, so it's no wonder they ended up so damaged.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:08:01

Shellac is no buff/remove natural shine.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 12-Oct-17 18:42:58

OP I am the same re Shellac / Gelish.
It can take months and months for them to get back to reasonable condition. I also just get them done for holiday and Christmas.

CakeNinja Thu 12-Oct-17 18:47:31

Mine used to go flaky at the ends - never ever had trouble with that before or since having shellac. Had them done every few weeks for a couple of years and then gave up as I didn't have the time.
She used to sell remedies to cure the flaky nails, but the best and most obvious remedy is to stop getting them done altogether. Clearly that wasn't going to be something she recommended to me grin

MargotsDevil Thu 12-Oct-17 19:46:25

I can honestly say mine are in fab condition and I have shellac on constantly- mine can last 3/4 weeks easily. My nail technician never buffs/files my nails though and I oil regularly. I have a friend who goes to the same salon who struggles to keep the polish on for a week so I suspect the type/condition of your natural nails is significant.

jeaux90 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:58:58

I'm allergic to gels and shellac. My nails were terrible and the skin round them would get itchy and split. Got my nails back into really good condition with the Superdrug base coat with vitamins etc. Also only use good nail varnish without all the crap chemicals like Orly and Zoya.

OatcakeCravings Thu 12-Oct-17 20:06:19

I get mine done every two weeks (Gelish but have had Shellac many times in the past). My nails are totally fine. My nail technician swears that it only ruins your nails if it is taken off badly. There is a good salon near me, where I have gone when I can't get an appointment with my normal person or she is on holiday and they file off the polish, this is bad according to my nail tech but when I questioned the woman at the salon she said that it was the proper way to do it and my normal woman was wrong (she uses a scraper thing and gently buffs the last little bit). So there you go! I have to say that when it is filed off my nails are weaker so I believe my regular nail person.

TillyVonMilly Thu 12-Oct-17 22:38:13

It doesn’t work well for me either. I’ve had it done twice, both times it started chipping and lifting within a couple of days and my nails were very weak and flaky afterwards. I certainly wouldn’t have it done again.

DragonNoodleCake Thu 12-Oct-17 23:10:06

I quit shellac as it ruined my nails too. I use jamberry wraps for occasions I want my nails done now! I've got quite good at applying them quite quickly

twobambinos Fri 13-Oct-17 09:28:08

I think alot of it depends on the technique of the nail technician. Have had it done where it's been ruined and now I get it done religiously every 3 weeks only because of regrowth. Every now and again I get an add on treatment IBX as well with the shellac it strengthens the nails. Never take it off yourself it's not worth the effort

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:36:13

I get my toenails done in the summer and it takes autumn and winter to get them looking ok again

But its on for ages

On my finger nails it barely lasts a week

LoniceraJaponica Fri 13-Oct-17 09:52:37

I'm glad I found this thread. My toenails are a disgrace after the two pedicures I had in the summer (I think she used gelish). I was a bit shock that the nail technician filed the surface of the nail and didn't use a base coat. I only had pedicures because when I paint my nails myself it doesn't look as good.

The nail varnish I use at home doesn't wreck my nails, so would it be OK to take that with me and ask them to use that instead?

I could always say that I am allergic to their nail varnish I suppose.

MinesaPinot Fri 13-Oct-17 13:22:18

I've got Shellac on fingers and toes at the moment. Had it on for a week and it looks great to be honest, and my nails feel stronger. However, I only ever have it for two consecutive appointments, so apply, take off, reapply, take off (if that makes sense) and then I have a break for a couple of months to let the nails recover and just have normal manicures and pedicures. I religiously use oil and Clarins handcream as well (but do that anyway).

Where I go for my Shellac they do not use any electric equipment to remove or for cuticle work. It is all done by hand so that they can control the level of pressure. Removal is soak off, scrape off with stick (sorry, don't know what else to call it!) and then gentle buff to get final small bits off.

I'm not keen on Gelish to be honest - the only time I had it was for holidays and it lifted within a couple of days. Very disappointing.

LoniceraJaponica I always take my own nail polish to the salon if I'm not having Shellac. Any salon worth their salt wouldn't mind you doing that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: