Advanced search

Cruelty Free - recommendations for skincare and makeup

(25 Posts)
MissMiss1 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:23:12

Hi ladies
I've

MissMiss1 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:28:16

Sorry ladies pressed send too soon

I'm looking for skincare and makeup recommendations. It's time to go cruelty free but I find it confusing finding out what brands don't test on animals

I want new skincare (for 40+ dehydrated skin) cleanser, moisturiser and eye cream. Also, new foundation, concealer, blushers, bronzers and mascara

Can anyone suggest any?smile

LoniceraJaponica Wed 11-Oct-17 21:37:36

Since The Bodyshop is no longer owned by L'Oreal they have gone back to their roots and are making a big deal about the products being cruelty free.

Superdrug do some great priced cruelty free skincare products, and so do M and S.

Then there is Lush, if you can stand the assault to your nose.

PicInAttic Wed 11-Oct-17 21:44:12

Didn't know Bodyshop was no longer linked to L'Oreal. Looking forward to revisiting/spending smile
Thanks for that, Lonicera.

MissMiss1 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:46:43

Oh that's good to know about The Body Shop
I love Lush, love the smell and all the bath products. I'll have a look at their skincare online
Superdrug, I have one local. Is there anything in particular that's good? 👍

JamieAnn11 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:49:51

Liz Earle has a great range of facial products which are cruelty free. I believe they do make up also, but I've not tried that x

ClariceClap Wed 11-Oct-17 22:03:19

Try this for ideas: www.theguardian.com/fashion/2017/jul/15/50-best-vegetarian-vegan-ethical-beauty-products-sali-hughes

LoniceraJaponica Wed 11-Oct-17 22:04:25

L'Oreal sold them in June this year.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 11-Oct-17 22:06:56

I don't wear make-up but DD does (and she's a vegetarian Cruelty Free . I was going to put CF but that means something else on MN) grin

Too Faced
Kat Von D
Urban Decay

She loves Bodyshop Camomile

I use M&S

There's N'Spa (asda)

you need to wade through the waffle. Some brands will say their finished products aren't tested but all the ingredients could be.
Or could be tested on their behalf.

I love Aveda ££ but lasts ages.

DD and I were in a shop (will be nameless) and we asked the Member of staff if the product was CF. They had no bloody idea what I was talking about . (DD searched on her phone while I asked)
"Animal testing" I said.
"What, do they paint their faces"? <smirking> they said

I was "Are you serious ? You have no idea what has happened to you're selling?"

( I was this close > < to shouting "No they don't paint their faces they drip it in their eyes and they can't rub them. Or they shave and drip it on the skin" . But I'd have looked deranged so we left)

sparechange Wed 11-Oct-17 22:10:02

Info here on Body Shop’s new owner...
http://www.ethicalcorp.com/exclusive-under-natura-body-shop-will-return-its-activist-roots

I’ve been using a skincare brand called Pure Nuff Stuff for years

https://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk/
It’s all ethical. Handmade in Cornwall with recyclable packaging and the most helpful people in the world to help you order the right stuff and do special orders for you.
They also do hampers which are great presents for new mums

The foaming cleanser and night cream are brilliant

Starla268 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:10:59

Liz Earle are not cruelty free anymore as they are owned by Avon now who test.

REN and Pixi are both good for skincare and if you want Mac quality make up Illamasqua are very good

peppykoala Thu 12-Oct-17 07:44:49

My dehydrated skin has been loving the new Superdrug Pure hydrating night serum (the day one is good but the night one is fantastic). I'm not sure if it's in all stores yet but definitely worth a try if it is as it's so cheap!

LoniceraJaponica Thu 12-Oct-17 08:33:10

I love Superdrug's Naturally Radiant range. I have combination skin and it suits me very well.

I tried Ultrabland cleanser from Lush the other day. It has been recommended on here so many times. It was awful - thick and greasy. It felt like spreading lard on my face, and I had to wash my face with soap afterwards to get rid of the grease. I will stick with The Bodyshop's Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter which melts onto your skin.

AnnabelleLecter Thu 12-Oct-17 08:54:48

Barry M and MUA make-up
Superdrug own brand for deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, handwash etc.
Lush
Co-op for cleaning products.
I look for the leaping bunny

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 12-Oct-17 09:03:33

I use Superdrug own brand products and lush.

If you are interested in lush skincare I'd recommend going in-store and asking for a consultation and some samples. They obviously don't always get it right but the samples of the cleansers especially are usually enough for a few days so you can get a feel of it since their products arents exactly cheap.

suchatiredbunny Thu 12-Oct-17 09:10:32

Some supermarket own products are cruelty free, e.g. sains, Tesco and morrisons, and have the leaping bunny logo on them. Superdrug own products are leaping bunny too. I find make up harder to find than skincare. I think you have to decide what level of cruelty free you are comfortable with, e.g. Liz Earle has the leaping bunny but is owned by a parent company who test (like when the Body Shop was owned by l'Oreal).
Green People are a fab company, you can return a product if you react to it.

TyneTease Thu 12-Oct-17 09:59:09

Paula's Choice is strongly anti-animal testing and has very effective products for dehydrated skin. I also use Alpha H and Dermalogica which are also cruelty free.

RatherBeRiding Thu 12-Oct-17 12:31:56

Barry M
GOSH (stocked by good old Superdrug)
I believe Nars is cruelty free
Superdrug own brand

If you also want to go cruelty free with shampoo/condition there is Inecto, Yes To (can get from supermarkets) or Faith in Nature (can get from Holland & Barrett - its lovely!)

BagelGoesWalking Thu 12-Oct-17 14:33:16

The Ordinary are all cruelty free and all (I think) are vegan.

Pure Potions www.purepotions.co.uk have face/body creams, shower oil, shampoo/conditioners etc.

BagelGoesWalking Thu 12-Oct-17 14:35:33

Should have said The Ordinary do foundations as well and are bringing out new ranges all the time - sunscreen soon and hopefully cleansers. Deciem, the parent company have loads of products under other ranges, eg NIOD, Hylamide, Chemistry etc.

IncidentalAnarchist Thu 12-Oct-17 14:37:08

Hourglass are vegan, cruelty free and gorgeous products

MeadowHay Thu 12-Oct-17 19:33:41

I know people have already recommended these but just to add my view as well: The Body Shop, Sleek, Superdrug's own brands (especially B for skincare), Liz Earle, Lush, Barry M, Urban Decay, Soap & Glory, Real Techniques, Eco Tools...some of these may be owned by companies that are not cruelty free though (like Urban Decay). Personally that's not a no-no for me as I like to think I might be playing a part in persuading the larger company if the sales of their cruelty-free arm are particularly good plus it can be tough finding products.

For specific products, some of my faves:
Soap & Glory mascara & the three-in-one concealer, & Sexy Motherpucker lipstick.
Urban Decay eye primer potion & basically all of their eyeshadow pallets but especially Naked.
Superdrug own brand shower gels, their B. micellar cleansing wipes.
Sleek for eyeshadow pallets and blusher.
Lush's lip scrub.
The Body Shop for facial serums & make-up brushes.
Barry M for nail varnish.

MeadowHay Thu 12-Oct-17 19:35:35

Also, Liz Earle are not owned by Avon anymore, they are owned by Boots.

MeatAndPotato Thu 12-Oct-17 19:36:34

Colourpop and Badger

Starla268 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:43:55

Meadowhay - how had I missed that news! It was sold to Boots in 2015?! So I could've been using Liz Earle again for the last two years! Thanks so much - you've made my day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now